Username: Password:

Author Topic: Arizona gun law question  (Read 11023 times)

philly

• Lurker
Arizona gun law question
« on: August 26, 2015, 08:16:35 am »
I am a new resident of AZ and have my ccp. Can you carry in government buildings here? Post Office, dmv, etc?

Also, can you keep a loaded firearm in your vehicle at all times (either in the trunk or locked in small lock box in the passenger area?)

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

JesseL

• Sr. Contributor
      • Lambert Gunworks LLC
    Re: Arizona gun law question
    « Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 08:25:36 am »
    Federal buildings (including the post office) are of limits to carry. State and local government buildings may prohibit carry, but if they do their supposed to provide lock boxes for secure storage while you're there.

In a vehicle as long as you're over 21 you can keep a firearm however you like - loaded and accessible if you like.

philly

• Lurker
    « Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 08:26:29 am »
    Thank you

kydexwerks

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 10:16:58 am »
    Dmv is posted "no firearms"

I carry into the post office multiple times a week to ship gear.

As for other govt buildings, i just leave it in the vehicle. I avoid having to go into govt buildings as much as possible though.

I keep a shotgun in my vehicle.

N.M.Edmands

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 11:10:37 am »
     ^While I may or may not carry into a U.S. Post Office it is still a violation of Federal law. If someone knows and wants to jam you up they can.
    Nat
    Politics is spherical; the only choice is which side of many to choose.
     But because politics is spherical there are only 2 sides--inside or outside.
     If I wish to maintain sanity I must choose outside.

FreeInAZ

• Sr. Contributor
    • Klingons never bluff. nottojtlhInganpu'.
    Arizona gun law question
    « Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 02:31:43 pm »
    ^While I may or may not carry into a U.S. Post Office it is still a violation of Federal law. If someone knows and wants to jam you up they can.

THIS!

Be very careful! If I have to go inside the post office - I park offsite, stow my weapons including knives, then walk across the street. I know, a huge pain in the ass, but it takes your property out of the magical federal fairies hands and puts it under local jurisdictions powers.

You have far fewer routes of redressing a wrong with the Feds vs local governments. :(
    « Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 02:51:47 pm by FreeInAZ »
    Better to die on our feet than live on our knees! "The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable." -Sun Tzu

TNFrank61

• Contributor
    « Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 02:42:40 pm »
    At the local DMV(MVD, whatever,LOL) they have a "No Weapons" sign so you're not suppose to bring firearms or knives into the building. I left my handgun in the truck but I be damned if I leave my EDC lock blade in the truck. Been there 3 times since I moved here almost 2 months ago and no one said anything about my knife if they even knew I had it.
      I think it's more of a CYA deal so that if some nut case comes in shooting they can say "See, we posted a sign to try and stop the guy, it's not our fault." which is totally ridicules.   I think if you've got a CCW then you should be "good to go" everywhere because heck, you've been vetted by not only State Authorities but Federal as well so you're not a nut case and should be trusted with your firearm even in Federal Buildings.  99.9% of the time these Gun Laws just don't make sense.   I use to carry in Tennessee when I'd run in to check the P.O. Box but if I had business I'd leave it in the truck but I didn't like it because I hate being unarmed.
      I honestly think that unless they have a metal detector and security and if you're just going to run in and get your mail that it's pretty much a "no harm/no foul" kind of deal and they should let folks slide on breaking such a silly law.
     Still, it is a LAW and if you get caught you could be in deep dodo so just be careful or take someone with you to run in and get the mail. That way you can stay in the truck and provide cover for em'. LOL.
    Luke 22:36 (NIV)
    36 He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."

"The Second Amendment of our Bill of Rights is my Concealed Weapons Permit, period."
    - Ted Nugent

FreeInAZ

• Sr. Contributor
    Arizona gun law question
    « Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 02:57:40 pm »
    ^^^lol!
    Well said! Maybe a set of walkie talkies too ... "Fire mission! Coordinates as follows #^%~ jack wad in the clown suit~> fire for effect!!!"
    Better to die on our feet than live on our knees! "The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable." -Sun Tzu

TNFrank61

• Contributor
    « Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 03:05:36 pm »
    Hey, you KNOW how Unstable those Postal Employees are. I mean, they don't call it "Goin' Postal" for the heck of it. :rotfl
    36 He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."

"The Second Amendment of our Bill of Rights is my Concealed Weapons Permit, period."
    - Ted Nugent

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 08:24:44 pm »
    Who calls it "Goin' Postal"  ?    :hmm
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 09:36:07 pm »

armoredman

• Contributor
    « Reply #11 on: August 26, 2015, 09:37:21 pm »
    The local DMV has a lock box right inside the front doors, for firearms. I decline, and do business by computer or mail. Safe storage is mandated by law for all government buildings in AZ, so they HAVE to provide you with a locker. It might not be right there, but around a corner, but it is a legal requirement.
    Guns in cars is OK, but stay off Federal property. Park elsewhere and walk.

FACE

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2015, 09:47:12 pm »
    I wonder if we should moderate posts where members admit to knowingly committing a felony.   I'd consider it a service to the members and it really doesn't help our cause to keep it in a public forum.  The libtards already think we're half criminal in spirit.
    In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.

Thomas Jefferson

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #13 on: August 26, 2015, 09:50:33 pm »
    Yeah except 1st Amendment or something.   :rolleyes

-T.

FACE

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2015, 09:57:16 pm »
    Yeah,  we all have the right...  Just thinking out loud.
    In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.

Thomas Jefferson

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #15 on: August 26, 2015, 10:45:14 pm »
    Oh don't think I was making a counterpoint.  I wasn't.  Really, I was just airing my annoyance over the people who seem to think their 1A rights apply here (which of course they don't). 

Apologies for the side rant.

In reality, as long as people aren't actually making a flat out recommendation with instructions on how to commit crime, I think it's probably fine to let all side have a say, the perpetrators and rebukers.

As well, some laws should be ignored, or at least pushed.  Hm?  ;)

-T.

Dr. Football

• Contributor
    • "Your Brighter then dead Lightbulb"-My Father.....
    Arizona gun law question
    « Reply #16 on: August 27, 2015, 01:07:42 am »
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Going_postal

Pretty common term.

-T.

My Father worked for postal enforcement for all but the the first two of his 35 Years employed by the U.S. Postal service, rising to the rank of Insp. Lt. (1982 until his death in Dec. of 1987 via Heart attack #4) but he spent 14 Years as a Sgt.(1968-1982). Everyone I ever met that he knew and worked with HATED that term. It took a few instances and stereo typed all employees. One case that my Father and my uncle(His B-I-L) worked on together ( at the end) was the Son of Sam Case(David Berkowitz). They were afraid he'd "Go postal" because in addition to his Charter Arms Bulldog .44, he had a 1911 and an Auto Ordinance Tommy gun copy with a 50 Rd Drum....
    I wrote a paper on this for my dissertation for my CJ Degree...(The Son of Sam Case)
    « Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 01:10:40 am by Dr. Football »

TNFrank61

• Contributor
    « Reply #17 on: August 27, 2015, 06:41:00 am »
    I wonder if we should moderate posts where members admit to knowingly committing a felony.   
    I personally don't consider it a "Felony" to break and Unconstitutional Law.  IMHO the 2nd Amendment trumps all of these Anti-Gun Laws. It's just that Gun Owners are so Law Abiding that we tend to even follow laws that we shouldn't.  The Anti-Gunners know this and use it against us to pass these ridiculous Unconstitutional Law that they know we'll obey.  :-\

Like I've said before, Black Folks would still be sitting at the back of the bus if Rosa Parks didn't break that Unconstitutional Law and sit at the front of the bus.  It takes guts to stand up for your Rights.

- Ted Nugent

armoredman

• Contributor
    « Reply #18 on: August 27, 2015, 01:57:18 pm »
    You may not consider it a felony, but the guys with the badges and guns say it is until a court changes the law. I've worked in prison for going on 13 years, and I DON'T want to live there! Neither do you. Work with people like AZCDL, GOA and NRA to get things changed, which has been working quite well at the state level her in Arizona.

TNFrank61

• Contributor
    « Reply #19 on: August 27, 2015, 02:34:29 pm »
    You may not consider it a felony, but the guys with the badges and guns say it is until a court changes the law. I've worked in prison for going on 13 years, and I DON'T want to live there! Neither do you. Work with people like AZCDL, GOA and NRA to get things changed, which has been working quite well at the state level her in Arizona.

I agree, we need to work to change things but I'd be nice if the guys with the Guns and the Badges would uphold their Oath to Protect and Defend the Constitution by non-enforcement of these stupid Anti-Gun Laws.  ;-)

- Ted Nugent

FreeInAZ

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #20 on: August 27, 2015, 03:19:03 pm »
    Two great posts in a row!
    8)

ron1948

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2017, 09:14:37 am »
    Moving to Prescott soon.  If I leave my EDC weapon in my car, while in the Post Office, does it need to be unloaded or locked in a safe?  Is loaded and in the center console ok?  Thanks!

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #22 on: July 02, 2017, 10:11:22 am »
    Correct.  Irittating, but correct. 
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

JarheadAZ

• Contributor
      • Greg Langelius *
    « Reply #23 on: July 02, 2017, 12:36:26 pm »
    I've also seen some discussions about legality, carry, and liquor establishments. Many have signage prohibiting, and I've noticed quibbles here.

My personal take on it is more about common wisdom. I don't want my gun handy when I'm drinking, from a personal liability standpoint.

I've heard oddly credible tales of folks getting cited for menacing simply because their jacket fell open and displayed a weapon, with snowflakes going moonbat ensuing.

Less availability to myself equals less self-concern. The precise legality (honestly) eludes me; better safe (from those gratefully few snowflakes and world class badge knockers) than sorry.

I remove my piece/holster before entering my local VFW Canteen, which posts said signage. Jus' bein' polite, is all...

Greg
    « Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 12:39:03 pm by JarheadAZ »
    Not lookin' to be in a gunfight, but if you find yourself mixed up in one, it might be kinda nice to have a gun...

"Faint heart never filled a flush" - Brett Maverick

Good marksmanship is no accident - JarheadNY

ron1948

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2017, 03:13:36 pm »
    I already knew about CCW & federal blds, courts, and post office.  How about like going into a fast food restaurant or other business that has has no guns posted.  Is locking your weapon in the trunk or console ok and does it have to be unloaded?

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement