Username: Password:

Author Topic: Boot Recomendations  (Read 5402 times)

brandyspaw

• Sr. Contributor
Boot Recomendations
« on: September 07, 2015, 06:59:21 pm »
What's a good brand/model of hiking boot to check out these days?  Right now I want to get back into hiking since it'll be cooling down soon and I was looking for recommendations on good choices for desert hiking in a mid height boot. I also want an extra pair for my stash.

I haven't looked at any boots for several years since I had a couple of extra pairs in prepping stash from a while back.  I had been using  the Merrill brand and if I recall they were called Ventilators.  Just looking for a good mid height boot for desert hiking.
"When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson

"Most of my money has gone for guns, cars and guitars.  The rest I just wasted."

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
      • Immediate Action Tactics & Training Group
    Re: Boot Recomendations
    « Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 07:15:16 pm »
    I was a huge merrell supporter but I've seen there quality decline over the last couple years. Salomans are now my favorite. There holding up much better then the merrells
    NRA Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    Colt AR15 Certified Armorer
    GLOCK Armorer

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 07:50:43 pm »
    While I still love Merrill's, I must agree that the quality has seen some decline in recent years.  I keep hoping that's not a permanent situation.  :-\

Still pretty good boots though IMO.

-T.

coyotesfan97

• Paws before boots!
    • Administrator
    « Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 07:55:00 pm »
    Salomons or Danners

http://www.salomon.com/us/men/footwear/hiking/_r107861

I'm wearing Salomons at work right now.  I'm really liking them.

http://tacticalgear.com/salomon-quest-4d-gtx-forces-black-asphalt

When I wore Danner Acacias I resoled one pair three times before there wasn't enough leather left for another resole. Danner sent me a 20% off coupon for new boots when they shipped them back.
    The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.  Thucydides 471BC

"Hey!  Let's be careful out there." Sgt Phil Esterhaus played by Michael Conrad

coyotesfan97

• Paws before boots!
    • Administrator
    « Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 07:55:39 pm »
    I hear good things about Lowa but I've never bought a pair.
    The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.  Thucydides 471BC

louie the lumberjack

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 08:34:21 pm »
    I wear Lowa.  They are very stiff and take a bit longer than normal to break in but once they do they hold up great.  Keen also makes a good boot but a lot of them are overbuilt for the desert climate.

louie the lumberjack
    "Can I ad hominem the shit out of him now???

Please say yes....please say yes" - LuckyLeaky

armoredman

• Contributor
    « Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 08:52:09 pm »
    All I have worn for years now is Blackhawk HRTs. As a matter of fact, off duty, they are all I wear, anywhere. Great desert boots.

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 09:10:36 pm »
    I've had good luck with Danner's over the years .    Biggest problem I find with most boots is the lack of ventilation in the summer.  I understand that you can't have a decent hiking boot built like a marathoner's running shoe but changing socks two or three times a day is a PITA. 
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

Dr. Football

• Contributor
    • "Your Brighter then dead Lightbulb"-My Father.....
    Boot Recomendations
    « Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 12:33:57 am »
    Danner, Rocky, and Columbia( only for Hiking). Back east I wore Timberlands. I had a Pr from the 80's that lasted until 2008. The two newer Pr. I had bought just Wore out, so no more Tim's for me!! When I was Serving I wore Danner's Exclusively!  I also owned a Pr of Chippewa's which lasted 10+ Yrs, but they don't make Wide's bigger then 11....

AIM9X

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 09:20:32 am »
    Walking and hiking is pretty much my exclusive exercise.  For easy hiking and walking, I use http://www.salomon.com/us/product/xa-pro-3d.html?article=373204.  For more technical hiking I use the mid-top version of the same shoe http://www.salomon.com/us/product/xa-pro-mid-gtx.html?article=369017

These are very light and comfortable.  The trade off is that they need to be replaced every 500 miles or so.

Alex

• Contributor
    « Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 12:47:31 pm »
    I am in love with my Danners. I like my walking and hiking shoes to have a firm flat sole. It is easy to try on the super squishy shoes in the store and think awesome but I find the squishy sole shoes to make my ankles and calf's tired faster since I feel like I have to keep from twisting my ankle since I am walking on marshmallows. The danners take a huge amount of abuse still look and function wonderfully and have GREAT support. The ones I have have a nice open toe box so no chaffing of the digits. The ones I have are resolable as well.

brandyspaw

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #11 on: September 10, 2015, 10:34:01 am »
    Well, this gives me some options to look into with some brands I wouldn't have even considered. Thanks for all the input.

So now I'll just have to decide on a pair to try and then, if they work out well for me, get another pair for the stash.
    "When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    Thomas Jefferson

"Most of my money has gone for guns, cars and guitars.  The rest I just wasted."

Dr. Football

• Contributor
    « Reply #12 on: September 11, 2015, 01:39:03 pm »
    Good luck!

JesseL

• Sr. Contributor
      • Lambert Gunworks LLC
    « Reply #13 on: September 11, 2015, 01:41:22 pm »
    Just to toss in some confusion and complication, I've had a couple pairs of Ariat hiking boots that I thought were pretty nice.

Dr. Football

• Contributor
    « Reply #14 on: September 12, 2015, 01:44:02 pm »

Just to toss in some confusion and complication, I've had a couple pairs of Ariat hiking boots that I thought were pretty nice.
    I just got my First pair of Ariat's but sadly I wanted Western square toe and they don't make em in my size(Wide), so I got "Western cut" Wellingtons....$88 at Sportsmans Guide...

My Columbia's are comfy. They were the ones I had on at the Shoot/BBQ....they also dealt quite nicely with the 7+ Inches of Snow we got up here on New Years Day..

Misfire51

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #15 on: September 12, 2015, 02:08:39 pm »
    I'am a big Danner fan , there the only shoes that will fit my feet . I smashed my left foot along time ago when a beam fell on it . ( Framing contractor in my younger days ) Danners make there hiking boots in 2e widths , although I would like Merrils they just dont fit like the Danners. There some pretty tough boots. :thumbup I did this same post here about 2 yrs ago.
    Tony / Mighty Arms

Dr. Football

• Contributor
    « Reply #16 on: September 13, 2015, 01:47:07 am »
    I should State that my wife wants another Pr of Western boots and a Pr of Hikers, so I
    Might wind up with two new Pr of Danners from Sportsmans Guide...

Dr. Football

• Contributor
    Boot Recomendations
    « Reply #17 on: October 26, 2015, 11:29:14 pm »
    Sale on at Tractor Supply on all styles of Ariat Boots! The Wellington Ropers come in Wides......<Gots Big Feets!!(and a large collection of Little Feat Music!!!

DuneShoot

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2015, 03:19:59 pm »
    Walking and hiking is pretty much my exclusive exercise.  For easy hiking and walking, I use http://www.salomon.com/us/product/xa-pro-3d.html?article=373204.  For more technical hiking I use the mid-top version of the same shoe http://www.salomon.com/us/product/xa-pro-mid-gtx.html?article=369017

These are very light and comfortable.  The trade off is that they need to be replaced every 500 miles or so.

Anywhere local to try these on? I'd want a lighter color though to keep my feet cooler in the sun.

For sneakers, which I wear daily when not at work, I go through a pair before then look worn out. The heel area seems to go flat (doesn't look it) and hurt my heels and back.

coyotesfan97

• Paws before boots!
    • Administrator
    « Reply #19 on: October 27, 2015, 06:42:54 pm »
    I got my Salomons through GMS Tactical in Mesa. I don't know if they started carrying them in the store yet.

http://www.gmstactical.com

Dr. Football

• Contributor
    « Reply #20 on: December 29, 2015, 11:02:41 pm »
    Reactivating a Zombie Thread. I scored a pr of Lightweight Waterproof Danners for $53 from Sportsmans Guide. Desert Tan only,... But they come is sizes 4-16 and medium and Wide...

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement