Username: Password:

Author Topic: Home Alarm System?  (Read 13016 times)

ItWasntMe

• Known Agitator
  • Sr. Contributor
Home Alarm System?
« on: January 06, 2016, 04:25:42 pm »
Do you have a home alarm system?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Have you considered the possibility that pathological narcissism is genetic?

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

AIM9X

Re: Home Alarm System?
    « Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 04:45:21 pm »
    Yes.

I mean, "Opsec man!"

JK357

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 04:50:05 pm »
    Yes, but the dogs are better

Marx-ism's

• Administrator
    • Why a duck?
    « Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 06:36:19 pm »
    Yup... and a surveillance system... and a dog!  :-P

And outside of my "empty" gun safes I've got damn near nothing to protect (aside from the dog)...  :whistle
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 07:26:30 pm »
    I have cameras equipped with motion sensors.

-T.

LuckyLeaky

• Administrator
    « Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 07:30:20 pm »
    My home alarm system is actually a deterrent system..... Nobody dares break into my house with all the yelling and screaming my wife and daughter do at each other...

I do know I'm in the market for a system, I just don't know where to go or what I should get....So I imagine this thread will come in handy for me too.

JK357

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 08:34:27 pm »
    I thought about cameras but all they is show you who broke in. An alarm or dogs are a warning for sane thugs.
    Nextdoor is kind of cool for your particle neighborhood

Xd45

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 09:10:41 pm »
    I'll bite.....here's mine:

"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

LuckyLeaky

• Administrator
    « Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 09:13:27 pm »
    Did you get another one?

louie the lumberjack

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 09:16:48 pm »
    Yes.  It is a coded system that came with the house but I have not paid for the service.  I have two old, fat dogs that bark at nearly everything outside without leaving the couch.

louie the lumberjack
    "Can I ad hominem the shit out of him now???

Please say yes....please say yes" - LuckyLeaky

Xd45

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 09:17:40 pm »
    Yup his half sister., dogs in general are pack animals but Ridgebacks seem to be more so, he needed a friend.  Both pups have the same dad.  I like all dogs, but this is probably the only breed (Rhodesian Ridgeback) that I'll ever own (she is our 3rd one in the past 20 years).
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

Xd45

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 09:21:40 pm »
    And this is my sign on my gate visible from the street:

LuckyLeaky

• Administrator
    « Reply #12 on: January 06, 2016, 09:28:31 pm »
    They are beautiful dogs.

FreeInAZ

• Sr. Contributor
    • Klingons never bluff. nottojtlhInganpu'.
    « Reply #13 on: January 06, 2016, 09:53:57 pm »
    And this is my sign on my gate visible from the street:

Fantastic dogs!

I have a friend back in MI that has a pair of brothers named: Rommel & Bismarck. They are pair that even the toughest criminal would try to avoid IMHO.
    Better to die on our feet than live on our knees! "The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable." -Sun Tzu

ItWasntMe

• Known Agitator
    • Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #14 on: January 07, 2016, 04:41:48 am »
    I agree that your best defense is via other means. I don't really make it public knowledge what I have in my house and I'm pretty discrete moving things in and out of my vehicle before and after range trips. Got a pretty good front gate, etc...

The primary reason I asked was because I have one currently with Guardian Protection as my house is older/used and also was not pre-wired for an alarm (I am away from home for most of the day like everyone else who works) and I'd rather they have 3 minutes with my safe rather than 30 or more.

Lately it's been more trouble than it is worth-a sensor malfunction on a window sent the police here yesterday and I got a call at work. Their customer service is terrible and they hung up on a perfectly reasonable question to disable that particular sensor until it was repaired--so I hacked the system (read: guessed the password to installer tech menu) and removed it myself. I had considered making any new setup based largely on motion sensors rather than specific window or door sensors as even glass-breaks are mostly useless--every time you pop a shipping padding pillow from Amazon or a balloon it triggers.

They're mostly all severely overpriced too. Some of the newer ones are more reasonably priced. Just figured I'd ask what other people are doing.
    « Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 04:54:52 am by ItWasntMe »

Guy1az

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #15 on: January 07, 2016, 06:30:45 am »
    I have one of the commercial alarms.  No cameras just the doors and windows wired.  Most of the crime in housing areas here in Tucson is the daytime...ring the doorbell....no answer then kick in the door and grab what you can and run type.  My alarm get loud after one minute which is probably enough time for them to grab handguns on the nightstand on both sides of the bed unfortunately.  Realistically where I am at  with the alarm going off I don't think any neighbors would even hear it.

brandyspaw

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #16 on: January 07, 2016, 11:23:52 am »
    I got burglarized a couple of months after we moved in down here. After that happened I had a new alarm system installed with window and door sensors along with a bunch of wireless motion sensors. I didn't shop around as I just wanted to get a system installed right away so I hired a security company that had set up a neighbor. I didn't shop around on the price as I wanted something done ASAP.

However, I really think an alarm and cameras, while helpful, is far from the total answer. Most thugs can gain access into your home and grab stuff before anybody responds to your alarm. So an alarm is a deterrent but there are other things to help prevent the lowlifes from breaking in the first place.

I believe hardening up your home is the most important factor.  Things like security doors, steel reinforcing plates on the door jams, commercial locks, etc. are needed.  Anything to deter easy entry will deter the criminals. The installation of motion lights is also helpful. Then be sure your gun safe(s) is bolted down securely and that the safes are hidden. They can't steal what they can't see. Most burglars won't be wanting to stay in your house long enough to search for hidden safes. They really want to grab stuff and get out quickly.

"When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    Thomas Jefferson

"Most of my money has gone for guns, cars and guitars.  The rest I just wasted."

JK357

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2016, 05:52:16 pm »
    ^^ :rotfl^^

Guy1az

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #18 on: January 07, 2016, 07:40:03 pm »
    I loved the dog "ungrateful" pic.

ItWasntMe

• Known Agitator
    • Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #19 on: January 07, 2016, 07:52:56 pm »
    Ungrateful
    That's pretty accurate for a lot of dogs I've been around. :rotfl

DezrtRat

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2016, 09:49:11 am »
    I had ADT but have changed to Vivint.  My house was prewired and ADT was my first choice.  Since then, Vivint came around and offered a cellular system, which is better since a crook only needs to cut the phone line and the alarm's monitoring system is useless.  My theory is this: If I have a sign advertising the system and my neighbors don't, a crook would more than likely go after the easier target.  I'm looking into these remote camera systems too.  A buddy got a kit with 34 cameras for a little over $300.  What I like is that he can see what the cameras see through his smart phone from anywhere. 
    Phil

N.M.Edmands

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2016, 12:14:16 pm »
    ^^ " this SOB goes outside to drink his coffee, I get a picture of him coming back in." :shocked

You definitely should be watching that dude----stay alert! :-P
    Nat
    Politics is spherical; the only choice is which side of many to choose.
     But because politics is spherical there are only 2 sides--inside or outside.
     If I wish to maintain sanity I must choose outside.

FreeInAZ

• Sr. Contributor
    • Klingons never bluff. nottojtlhInganpu'.
    « Reply #22 on: February 11, 2016, 01:06:20 pm »
    ^^ " this SOB goes outside to drink his coffee, I get a picture of him coming back in." :shocked

If I saw something that scary on my porch I'm not sure who I'd call first, Animal control, Homeland Defense, or The X-Files?
    Better to die on our feet than live on our knees! "The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable." -Sun Tzu

brandyspaw

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #23 on: February 11, 2016, 06:04:56 pm »

Yeah, I'd call the proper authorities about him as he looks like a pretty shady character.  ;-)
    "When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    Thomas Jefferson

"Most of my money has gone for guns, cars and guitars.  The rest I just wasted."

Dr. Football

• Contributor
    • "Your Brighter then dead Lightbulb"-My Father.....
    Home Alarm System?
    « Reply #24 on: February 12, 2016, 04:08:01 am »
    Since this was a "Downsize" in a 55 Plus where the prior-Orig) owner was in her 80's when. She past on, there was no Alarm, so we recently put in Simoly Safe, but I have a mini Cam system hooked into my iMac,, and then of course, the security patrol.....

He's kept the place safe the now almost 22 Hrs a week I'm not home and the 45+ hrs a week my wife is at work, from probably a 1,000 Golfers and a lot of Seniors!!!
    Except he can tell we are Greatful[emoji3]
    « Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 04:12:16 am by Dr. Football »

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement