Username: Password:

Author Topic: Portable reloader by LEE  (Read 3964 times)

monster

Portable reloader by LEE
« on: July 11, 2016, 10:22:12 am »
Saw this on Amazon, I think it could be useful, I'd love to reload but, have a wife that complains when things take up space haha. Any input on this lee product, any owners? Thanks.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00162TIXG/

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    Re: Portable reloader by LEE
    « Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 10:36:16 am »
    Not particularly fast or precise, but it'll work in a pinch.

-T.

Cyris

• Beer and Bullets
    « Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 11:32:27 am »
    Yeah, maybe nice to have if SHTF but man that would make me nervous banging around with a hammer. I've had a primer pop on me on the press once and it scared the crap out of me.
    .:Cyris

If you want to protect your Right to Keep and Bear Arms in Arizona, then you want to join the Arizona Citizens Defense League (AzCDL)

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 11:55:52 am »
    They work and are consistent. You will occasionally pop a primer (ask my dog why she's afraid of anything hammer shaped...). You must follow their recipes exactly when using the scoop. If you want to change it up, get a loading manual and a scale.
    Heat it till it's hot, then beat it with a hammer until it's the shape you want.    Blacksmith's advice that works for pretty much everything in life

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 12:27:38 pm »
    They're OK.  That was my first reloading set-up.   I loaded .45 Colt and .303 British.  Sometimes the .45 Colt cases would get a little sticky after they were fired but the .303 British cases were fine.  They are designed to load cases only for the gun they were fired in so as long as you do it that way there's really no problem - especially with the lower powered rounds I was loading.  Once you get the hang of using the mallet ( I used a dead blow hammer ) and the powder scoop its really not a bad set-up.  Just follow all the instructions to the letter and you'll be OK. 

Lee also makes a hand press that uses conventional reloading dies that is not a great deal larger than the original Lee loader if you want to consider something that's a little bit of an upgrade.  Its definitely a bit faster when seating primers and bullets. 
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 04:45:26 pm »
    Sometimes the .45 Colt cases would get a little sticky after they were fired 
    That's because the cases fire formed to each individual chamber in the cylinder. and the lee "whack a mole" only neck sizes, even on straight walled cartridges
    Heat it till it's hot, then beat it with a hammer until it's the shape you want.    Blacksmith's advice that works for pretty much everything in life

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 05:51:16 pm »
    Agreed.  I finally realized that the resizing that was done was only an average of all the chambers and would invariably result in some sticky extraction depending on the individual case.  Still, the ammo produced was capable of factory load accuracy if I did my part.   I ran into an old timer that told me about orienting the cases.  He would always put the case manufacturer's name to the outside of the cylinder when loading the rounds and towards him when reloading them.  Apparently that made a measurable difference in the group size of his reloads.  Makes sense really, when you consider the fact that there is no neck trimming with this system. 
    « Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 05:55:58 pm by coelacanth »
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 06:18:26 pm »
    I was getting some incredible groups in my Mosin with one, but I could only load it 3 times before I had to run it through a full length die in the press.

JesseL

• Sr. Contributor
      • Lambert Gunworks LLC
    « Reply #8 on: July 12, 2016, 11:38:01 am »
    I think that for taking up minimal space, loading away from home, etc; I'd rather go with a Lee hand press. It's heavier, but it's also more flexible and doesn't require banging with a hammer.

https://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision-Cast-Reloading-Press/dp/B000NOQIFO

fr3db3ar

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2016, 05:19:08 pm »
    I do all my loading with a hand press, but you still need a scale for powder.  I have yet to find a scoop that is the right size for any of my powers in any of my calibers.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
      • Immediate Action Tactics & Training Group
    « Reply #10 on: July 12, 2016, 08:40:00 pm »
    get a real press with the right tools.
    NRA Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    Colt AR15 Certified Armorer
    GLOCK Armorer

Vector16

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2016, 08:46:41 pm »
    i LOVE THESE. i HAVE TWO. ONE FOR A 30-06 AND ONE FOR 243.  FORGIVE THE CAPS. STICKY COFFEE WAS SPILLED ON KEYBOARD.
    THESE ARE GREAT IF YOU HAVE NOT FIGURED OUT HAW TO USE THE COLLET DIE TOO.

MY 30-06 NEED A DECAPPING PIN BUT THE 243 IS IN GREAT SHAPE.

YOU NEED A SCALE THO CAUSE THE SCOOP THIS IS A POS AND IT EITHER 2 GRAINS UNDER OR OVER AND THAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A BULLET IN THEW BARREL AND A BLOWN TO PIECES GUN.
    If your are always prepared for an emergency, it seems an emergency will never arise.

armoredman

• Contributor
    « Reply #12 on: July 13, 2016, 05:47:10 am »
    Ah, the "whack a mole" loader. :) It's better than nothing. My reloading setup is all on an old TV stand - you can make it all fit into a small enough spot.

Vector16

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2016, 05:47:27 pm »
    My reloading setup is all on an old TV stand

Damn! that's a good idea.  Then I can mount my other three presses and just move them around as I need them and they won't take up a shit load of space.
    If your are always prepared for an emergency, it seems an emergency will never arise.

GavenAZ

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2016, 09:51:43 am »
    I picked up 2 of the LEEs and 2 of the Lyman 310 setups from a garage sale a few years back. They're a fun campfire conversation piece while camping.

I have a small reloading bench too. My fix was a docking fixture for the various tools

http://www.patmarlins.com/

I can switch out the press for a case trimmer in a few seconds.
    “Don’t go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.”
    ― Mark Twain

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement