Username: Password:

Author Topic: Target hammer and trigger for S&W revolvers  (Read 4039 times)

Curmudgeon

Target hammer and trigger for S&W revolvers
« on: September 17, 2016, 11:12:02 am »
Many many moons ago, I had a target hammer and trigger installed on my Model 10 M+P heavy barrel revolver.  Actually had it done at the factory in Springfield.

Unfortunately, I don't have that gun anymore.

Anyway, I was interested in getting those parts for my Model 28.  Can't seem to find them anywhere.  Did they quit making them?

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

brandyspaw

• Sr. Contributor
    Re: Target hammer and trigger for S&W revolvers
    « Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 11:44:05 am »
    The hammers and triggers for older Smiths like the Model 28's have been discontinued years ago.  The Model 28, like all older Smith revolvers, used forged hammers and triggers that had case hardening for a finish.  They also used firing pins mounted on the hammer. 

The new stuff they build now uses MIM parts and have the frame mounted firing pin.  So the hammers wouldn't interchange due to the different firing pin on the newer models. While the triggers should fit I don't think it would be much of an upgrade to go to one using sintered metallic injection molded parts vs the older forged ones.

As for as finding the older parts, I had to do a search for a hammer for an early Model 629 a while back.  While the early stainless guns like the M629 have a flash chroming instead of case hardening they are still forged so finding NOS or used from someone on the internet is your only option.

If it were me,  I'd leave the gun original but if you pursue it try Ebay (which will still allow guns parts like these) and also Gunbroker.  There are occasionally some companies on the web like Numrich that have used parts but Brownels and Midway will only have whats currently available from S&W.
    "When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    Thomas Jefferson

"Most of my money has gone for guns, cars and guitars.  The rest I just wasted."

Curmudgeon

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 01:12:02 pm »
    The hammers and triggers for older Smiths like the Model 28's have been discontinued years ago.  The Model 28, like all older Smith revolvers, used forged hammers and triggers that had case hardening for a finish.  They also used firing pins mounted on the hammer. 

The new stuff they build now uses MIM parts and have the frame mounted firing pin.  So the hammers wouldn't interchange due to the different firing pin on the newer models. While the triggers should fit I don't think it would be much of an upgrade to go to one using sintered metallic injection molded parts vs the older forged ones.

As for as finding the older parts, I had to do a search for a hammer for an early Model 629 a while back.  While the early stainless guns like the M629 have a flash chroming instead of case hardening they are still forged so finding NOS or used from someone on the internet is your only option.

If it were me,  I'd leave the gun original but if you pursue it try Ebay (which will still allow guns parts like these) and also Gunbroker.  There are occasionally some companies on the web like Numrich that have used parts but Brownels and Midway will only have whats currently available from S&W.

Well that sucks.  I guess it's not a big deal.  I was just thinking about that old gun, and how much I liked those parts.

I won't go crazy searching. but I will keep my eyes open.  Maybe I'll get lucky.

brandyspaw

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 02:09:32 pm »
    Well that sucks.  I guess it's not a big deal.  I was just thinking about that old gun, and how much I liked those parts.

I won't go crazy searching. but I will keep my eyes open.  Maybe I'll get lucky.

If you really want them then just keep checking.  Both Ebay and Gunbroker have them often and on rare occasions you might be able to snag a good deal.  The big problem is that all the older quality revolvers built by Smith and Colt have gone nuts in prices and that's transferred into high parts prices for the old guns as well.  Still you never know when/what you can find.
    "When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    Thomas Jefferson

"Most of my money has gone for guns, cars and guitars.  The rest I just wasted."

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 10:32:53 am »
    You might also try to contact any gunsmiths who are current or were previous authorized S&W repair shops.  There's a few of them scattered around the country and they might have spares for sale.   A few old line gunsmiths still have some pretty extensive parts collections but they can be a bit of a PIA to deal with on line.  Some require a phone call to initiate the search process.   One that comes to mind is Jack First Guns,  www.jackfirstgun.com
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

Curmudgeon

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 11:32:23 am »
    Whenever I bring up the topic of the older revolvers, I am always amazed to hear how the demand is high, therefore so is the value.

I'm wondering, if I do happen to come across those parts, will it lessen the value.  Probably not, because they would be genuine S&W.

One thing for sure,  When I installed the Hogue grips, I'm glad I kept the stock checkered grips.

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #6 on: September 18, 2016, 12:19:22 pm »
    Well, as long as you keep the original parts and don't bugger up the gun swapping them out you should be good to go but anyone who knows S&W revolvers - collectors, for instance - will know that the gun is not in its stock configuration. 
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

brandyspaw

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 02:02:51 pm »
    Yeah, the Model 28 only came with the regular trigger and hammer unless is was special ordered which didn't happen much.  However, the target trigger and hammer won't make that much of a difference on values with the M28. The condition is the biggest value factor plus the value increases a bunch if the gun has the original grips and original box along with the factory cleaning tools, screwdriver (if it was an adjustable sight model) and all the paperwork such as the instruction sheet, warranty card, etc.

Plus, people will question the trigger/hammer even it was original anyway.  I have a M28 with the "Ranger" trigger (this was also known as the combat trigger after the seventies).  It was wider than the standard trigger but narrower than the target trigger.  It was also smooth without any serrations. Despite having the original box with the trigger marked CT on the label, some people who see it think its a modified target trigger or was added later.  However, I bought it new from a distributor when I had a gun shop in the seventies so I know it was factory. 
    Thomas Jefferson

Curmudgeon

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 07:26:32 pm »
    Yeah, the Model 28 only came with the regular trigger and hammer unless is was special ordered which didn't happen much.  However, the target trigger and hammer won't make that much of a difference on values with the M28. The condition is the biggest value factor plus the value increases a bunch if the gun has the original grips and original box along with the factory cleaning tools, screwdriver (if it was an adjustable sight model) and all the paperwork such as the instruction sheet, warranty card, etc.

Plus, people will question the trigger/hammer even it was original anyway.  I have a M28 with the "Ranger" trigger (this was also known as the combat trigger after the seventies).  It was wider than the standard trigger but narrower than the target trigger.  It was also smooth without any serrations. Despite having the original box with the trigger marked CT on the label, some people who see it think its a modified target trigger or was added later.  However, I bought it new from a distributor when I had a gun shop in the seventies so I know it was factory.

You jogged my memory.  Yes I do remember the combat trigger  :-\

You must be a pretty old geezer also   :-P

brandyspaw

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #9 on: September 19, 2016, 08:00:49 am »
    You must be a pretty old geezer also   

Yeah, I'm not totally ancient but I'm most certainly an oldster.  I've been shooting since the late sixties and I collected S&W revolvers from the early seventies up until the late eighties. 

You can tell who's old here when you post a thread like this and myself and coelacanth (another oldster) are the only ones on the forum to reply to it. However, young guys must be spending those big bucks on early Smith revolvers for the prices to have escalated so high lately.  So there must be some younger shooters or collectors getting involved. 

I started selling off many of my old Smiths along with other guns when I retired several years back. Now I really wish I had waited as I sold a lot of those Smiths before they really escalated in price.  I just can't believe the obscene prices old Smith and Colt revolvers go for these days and it can't only be geezers driving that market up. I know I couldn't afford to pay those high prices now that I'm retired.
    Thomas Jefferson

Curmudgeon

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2016, 08:25:57 am »
    Yeah, I'm not totally ancient but I'm most certainly an oldster.  I've been shooting since the late sixties and I collected S&W revolvers from the early seventies up until the late eighties. 

You can tell who's old here when you post a thread like this and myself and coelacanth (another oldster) are the only ones on the forum to reply to it. However, young guys must be spending those big bucks on early Smith revolvers for the prices to have escalated so high lately.  So there must be some younger shooters or collectors getting involved. 

I started selling off many of my old Smiths along with other guns when I retired several years back. Now I really wish I had waited as I sold a lot of those Smiths before they really escalated in price.  I just can't believe the obscene prices old Smith and Colt revolvers go for these days and it can't only be geezers driving that market up. I know I couldn't afford to pay those high prices now that I'm retired.

I saw an old model 10 with the pencil barrel in Cabels's a few weeks ago.  They had it priced at $ 975.   It's definitely crazy.  I don't like to think about all the old Colt and S&W revolvers I used to have

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #11 on: September 21, 2016, 07:09:14 pm »
    Yup.  Oh, the tales we could tell .   .   .     :yes.   
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement