Username: Password:

Author Topic: Mark Kelly remarks yesterday  (Read 5196 times)

altsehastiin

Mark Kelly remarks yesterday
« on: November 09, 2012, 10:59:37 am »
Gabrielle Giffords' husband, Capt. (and Congressman-in-Waiting) Mark Kelly gave some interviews after the sentencing of Jared Loughner yesterday.  He attacked Governor Brewer, and argued for a "conversation" about "high capacity" magazines.  He also dropped a passing reference to the "caliber" of Loughner's gun, which was a 9mm G19.  See, http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1112/83593.html.

It looks like we're seeing post-election stage setting for the expected gun control push.  Here are the tactics opponents of gun rights will use:

1.  Give lip service to the 2nd amendment by starting every statement with "I support the 2nd Amendment", "I own guns", or "I am an avid sportsman".   

2.  Say that it's time to start a "conversation".

3.  Refer to "gun violence control" or "violence control", rather than "gun control".

4.  Trot Representative Giffords (who was pretty consistently pro-gun) out to use as a prop.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 11:32:13 am by JesseL »

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

Black_water

• Contributor
    Re: Mark Kelly remarks yesterday
    « Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 11:55:15 am »
    There is nothing to discuss.

I never could stand this guy anyway, I think he is condescending ass.  Having said that, until we start prosecuting the 22,000 gun laws we already have there is no conversation, unless of course, you want to discuss why it is a good idea to disarm law abiding citizens.

It never ceases to amaze me how the educated and "enlightened" among us don't seem to know all that much or study all that much.
    Eric Philips of Young Americans for Liberty summed up the law.

Obamacare will have the efficiency of the Postal Service, the sustainability of Social Security and the compassion of the IRS,” he said

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 12:25:21 pm »
    The parallels to James Brady's situation are stunning.  She gets shot and permanently disabled during an assassination attempt by a crazy person, then the spouse goes (might go?) on a crusade.  I'm sure the Brady's have put a bug in his ear.

We live in a different world today though, and there are just as many differences.  As I've mentioned before, the gun lobby is huge, and well-funded.  The NRA is a force to be reckoned with, and politician fear them to a much great extent than they did in the 80s.

Guns a political poison right now, and I expect politicians of all flavors to distance themselves from the issue.  A few may chirp about gun control every now and then, and we'll certainly see bills introduced (I heard Feinstein just introduced one), but I think they'll have a real hard time getting these to the president's desk.

I never could stand this guy anyway, I think he is condescending ass.

Indeed.  That's another difference.  Sarah Brady was well liked, and already had been in politics since the 60s.

This is absolutely something to keep an eye on, but we can't know if anything material will come of it yet.  Right now it's likely just a media whore trying (poorly) to be a media whore (referring of course to Mark Kelly, not Ms. Giffords).

-T.

Black_water

• Contributor
    « Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 12:38:12 pm »
    Again, this will come down to regulatory agencies.

I really can't stand the idea that they create a policy, we hear about it somehow, then have to call our pols to get them to create a law that prevents these agencies from enforcing the original policy.

I hate to keep going on about this but we really need to neuter these agencies.

Obamacare will have the efficiency of the Postal Service, the sustainability of Social Security and the compassion of the IRS,” he said

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 12:46:04 pm »
    ...we really need to neuter these agencies.

I don't disagree.

-T.

altsehastiin

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 12:51:49 pm »
    Again, this will come down to regulatory agencies.

I really can't stand the idea that they create a policy, we hear about it somehow, then have to call our pols to get them to create a law that prevents these agencies from enforcing the original policy.

I hate to keep going on about this but we really need to neuter these agencies.

Exactly right.  This president (and to be fair, the last one too), has shown every willingness to skirt congress when congress will not rubber stamp his policies.  The real danger in the coming months, as I see it, are changes to the CFR by the agencies.  DOJ and ATF could promulgate new reguations tomorrow that would have the effect of banning the importation of some guns and gun parts, without consulting congress. 

ItWasntMe

• Known Agitator
    • Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 07:39:17 pm »
    I'm sorry for the hardships that lunatic has caused him and his family. I am especially sympathetic to the hardships he has caused Gabrielle Giffords. But it's not a reason to "control guns." It's time to shift the debate away from guns and toward insane lunatics being insane lunatics and admitting that if you take away guns, they'll use knives. If you take away knives, they'll use scissors. Take those away and they'll stab you with a fountain pen, and then a ballpoint pen. And so on.

A lunatic is always a lunatic, and they'll find a way.

Since someone brought up Brady Campaign...
    I think this is a good place to be on Brady ratings:

We should definitely go for the first ever NEGATIVE rating. :shifty
    Have you considered the possibility that pathological narcissism is genetic?

SirJesster

• Threadkiller
    • I am El Guapo Gordo!
    « Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 12:06:02 pm »
    I'm sorry for the hardships that lunatic has caused him and his family. I am especially sympathetic to the hardships he has caused Gabrielle Giffords.

life sentence for shooting giffords i can live with. i would have been ok with capital punishment for the death of the little girl. that's what really upset me, the bystanders... sorry if this sounds bad. i understand a lot of people may not agree with me here.

edited twice for wording. adult death is unfortunate but there is zero compassion in my heart for anyone who would pull a trigger on a child. i cannot word this srongly enough...

We should definitely go for the first ever NEGATIVE rating. :shifty

i concur!
    « Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 12:56:49 pm by SirJesster »
    Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, ever, cut a deal with a dragon.

brandyspaw

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 09:31:05 am »
    I just read a column about this by that liberal moron E.J. Montini in the Arizona Repugnant.  I don't usually buy (much less read) that crappy liberal rag but the wife has been getting the sunday paper this time of year for the holiday ads. I suffered through it to read how its "finally time Arizona that should change its lax gun laws". 

How about this concept?  If anyone else doesn't like the conservative tone of this state with its so called lax gun laws then why not move to a liberal cesspool state?  There are a lot of states with repressive gun laws and it would seem much easier to move there and leave this state alone if you don't like it.

People need to realize it was a psycho who wouldn't be swayed by logic or laws.  That nutcase could easily have rammed a huge car into the crowd and killed a bunch of people instead of using a gun.  Unfortunately, killing is a matter of will---not ways.
    "When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    Thomas Jefferson

"Most of my money has gone for guns, cars and guitars.  The rest I just wasted."

Black_water

• Contributor
    « Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 10:01:47 am »
    Why does AZ have to change?  Illonois, California and other A rated stated (by the brady bunch) have more shootings and gun crime than does AZ.

Liberals don't like to be bogged down by any factual data.

ItWasntMe

• Known Agitator
    • Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 10:14:08 am »
    Why does AZ have to change?  Illonois, California and other A rated stated (by the brady bunch) have more shootings and gun crime than does AZ.

Liberals don't like to be bogged down by any factual data.
    They (American Liberals) always emphasize group liberty at the expense of individual liberties. Both sides preach liberty. The difference is the type of liberty and the nuances of each. For the most part, that means happily curtailing your individual rights to whatever degree suits their idea for a perceived gain in any collectivist group. :doh

It is not Obama you should be afraid. It's not Mark Kelly or Brady Bunch that you should fear. What you really need to watch out for is their collective ideals. As a group they have a tremendous amount of power of individuals lives and they do so frequently.  :facepalm

Then there's the irony that the minority groups like African Americans show such unwavering loyalty to the Democratic party when historically it was that very party that oppressed them and the Republican party that fought for them. Chew on that bit of bitter irony for a while. :saywhat
    « Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 10:20:21 am by ItWasntMe »

JesseL

• Sr. Contributor
      • Lambert Gunworks LLC
    « Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 10:23:50 am »
    I just read a column about this by that liberal moron E.J. Montini in the Arizona Repugnant.

I hate that guy. Smarmy douchebag.

ItWasntMe

• Known Agitator
    • Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #12 on: November 11, 2012, 10:30:15 am »
    I just read a column about this by that liberal moron E.J. Montini in the Arizona Repugnant.

I hate that guy. Smarmy douchebag.
    They used to be a good newspaper but they're so biased now. To them Obama is the messiah.But really there is no other newspaper here that is nationally focused so we get it. I just read it with the same skepticism I would CNN (and all other biased media). :facepalm

altsehastiin

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2012, 11:04:48 am »
    One of the more troubling things about Mr. Kelly's "conversation" about guns is that Ms. Giffords isn't actually part of it.  She is being used as a sock puppet to advance causes that I think she would have opposed in her public life.

Black Wolf CCW

• Facebook: Blackwolf Defense
      • Black Wolf Defense
    « Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 06:56:10 am »
    One of the more troubling things about Mr. Kelly's "conversation" about guns is that Ms. Giffords isn't actually part of it.  She is being used as a sock puppet to advance causes that I think she would have opposed in her public life.

Not sure if she is part or not, but you are right they will use her incident to gain any advantage regardless of how small or large.
    John
    Black Wolf Defense Firearms Training
    www.azccwclasses.com
    www.blackwolfccw.com
    (623) 694-0377
    Email: info@azccwclasses.com

Black_water

• Contributor
    « Reply #15 on: November 14, 2012, 09:30:13 am »
    I have always said that if Loughner were thinking, he would have taken a car and plowed the crowd down with it.  It would have been much more effective and thorough.

More people die using other "tools" every day, yet only when guns are used to do we hear an outcry.  I get the concept that "guns were designed to kill things", however, there are other things, like cars, that were not designed to kill people but are very efficient at it.

Liberals never want to address the problem, which is that people suck.  The only time you will ever get a liberal to avoid blaming guns is when they are making excuses for why Muslims hate us, then they blame America.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement