Username: Password:

Author Topic: Fast Draw  (Read 7804 times)

Steven

Fast Draw
« on: December 13, 2012, 09:25:03 pm »
Any of you in the Cowboy Fast draw world? I have been a fan for a while, but cant afford to get into it. My Uberti has been broken twice practicing (no ammunition in gun). Yes I knew better than to use a uberti (or any gun that hadn't been set up for it), but I did it anyway. Just wondering if there was anyone in the area that shoots Fast Draw.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

davycrockettfv

Re: Fast Draw
    « Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 10:35:05 pm »
    I used to get a chance to do some every once in a while with a gentleman from my church who would set me up with the gear.  No competitions, but he had the good hardware, timers, targets, pretty much the whole setup.  Sure was fun.  Haven't been able to do any for several years though.  Terribly expensive just to get a decent rig.

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 01:45:41 am »
     :zombie :zombie :zombie  Yep, zombied another thread.

Having recently bought an Uberti Cattleman (1873 peacemaker clone) I have become interested in cowboy fast draw. I went ahead and ordered a spring kit, slicked up the internals, and tuned the timing and lockup. Next up is to have my buddy make me a competition legal holster and order the shells for wax bullet shooting and I'll be ready to start.

Steven, If you'd like to set up your uberti, I can turn you on to some great information. I don't have the knowledge to set em up for fanning (SUPER hard on guns) but thumbing is no problem. My gun is now set up to be faster than I'll ever be, and I put less than $60 into it. Once my holster is done, everything will depend on me honing my reaction times and learning to shoot semi accurately from the hip at speed.
    Heat it till it's hot, then beat it with a hammer until it's the shape you want.    Blacksmith's advice that works for pretty much everything in life

Steven

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 09:46:28 pm »
    Sold my Uberti since it was broken. I had planned to buy a Ruger New Vaquero, but then I found two guns I have been wanting for years at a affordable price. I couldn't pass them up so the Vaquero went on the back burner. Then my truck broke down. I am still very interested to try Fast Draw, but it will have to wait.

If you do get into the sport, please report back and let me know how you like it.

Steven

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 09:48:30 pm »

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 10:09:04 pm »
    Here are the wax bullet supplies from the CFDA website.

http://www.cowboyfastdraw.com/secureshop/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=167
    Yep! Saw that. If you look at the  azgunslingers.com site (the closest affiliated club to me), You'll see an older dude in a top hat with a bit of a hunch. That's Wild Bill. He's a good buddy of mine and will be making my holster and belt. You've seen him before if you've ever seen any special at all on the Sturgis Rally. They always get him in the frame for some reason. He somehow manages to keep that top hat on his noggin on his Harley at any speed. Such a nice guy as well.
    Heat it till it's hot, then beat it with a hammer until it's the shape you want.    Blacksmith's advice that works for pretty much everything in life

Steven

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 11:03:54 pm »
    Yep! Saw that. If you look at the  azgunslingers.com site (the closest affiliated club to me), You'll see an older dude in a top hat with a bit of a hunch. That's Wild Bill. He's a good buddy of mine and will be making my holster and belt. You've seen him before if you've ever seen any special at all on the Sturgis Rally. They always get him in the frame for some reason. He somehow manages to keep that top hat on his noggin on his Harley at any speed. Such a nice guy as well.

Cool. I have visited their website multiple times. I keep thinking I will make it out to one of their practices, but I never do.

LuckyLeaky

• Administrator
    « Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 07:16:32 pm »
    :zombie :zombie :zombie  Yep, zombied another thread.

Steven, If you'd like to set up your uberti, I can turn you on to some great information. I don't have the knowledge to set em up for fanning (SUPER hard on guns) but thumbing is no problem. My gun is now set up to be faster than I'll ever be, and I put less than $60 into it. Once my holster is done, everything will depend on me honing my reaction times and learning to shoot semi accurately from the hip at speed.

I imagine I will be hitting you up soon....I want to get turned on too!!!!!!  :love :whistle

Probably be picking up it up after the first of the year...Had to buy a $400 dog cage that took all my money... :cursing
    « Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 07:38:23 pm by LuckyLeaky »

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 07:21:25 pm »
    Cool. I'll show you the sites to order the parts from. I'm happy to sit down and talk you through the tuning as well. I'll even supply the tools

870policemag

• Administrator
    « Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 02:13:41 pm »
    My step father was a SASS member. I wasn't into CASS or SASS at the time because I was trying to get into the IPSC game but in retrospect It does look pretty cool.

Bullets are the only things that do their job only after they're fired.

kjwx93

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 07:15:40 am »
    I have a cattleman, never had any issues. Then again I've only put a few hundred rounds through it. What kind of issues should I expect from my Uberti? What should I be looking out for? I'm kinda worried, I've always heard they were solid reproductions, but if I should be doing any preventative upgrades, what are they?

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 08:25:51 am »
    If it's stock, and you use it for normal shooting duties, it should be fine as it is.
     If you want to compete with it, you'll want to do a spring upgrade and make sure the bolt drops securely in the recesses of the cylinder.
    1. Measure the bolt width and each cylinder recess. Pick the smallest recess and stone the LEFT side of the bolt (gun pointing away from you) ONLY where it protrudes from the frame, to .001 smaller than that size. Make sure to leave the edges square, but remove any burs.
    2. Strip the gun down and debur all parts (including the inside of the frame) and polish all the contact surfaces without changing any angles. You're just removing machining marks here.

If you plan to "Fan" the action, you'll need a lifter block upgrade to ensure positive lockup.
    Check this out      http://www.gunblast.com/JimTaylor_Uberti.htm

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement