Username: Password:

Author Topic: Article and poll concerning School Resource Officers  (Read 5024 times)

Thernlund

• Administrator
  • AZGO Founder
Re: Article and poll concerning School Resource Officers
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2012, 07:25:42 pm »
It's not an argument man.  Just an opinion.  ;)

Parents carrying aren't tasked with official protection detail of an entire school.  Their responsibility starts and ends with their kids only.  I certainly support their decision to be proactive in their child's safety, make no mistake.  What I don't support is turning my child over to armed strangers I don't know.  You say you identify responsible gun owners by watching what they do.  Have you adequately watched everyone working on a school campus?  I can tell you that when my kids were still in school, that was an impossible task.

Private schools that don't rely on my tax money can hand out guns to total newbs of they want.  Taxpayer funded public schools however, I want them to have to show some standard of proficiency (which a gov't hall pass doesn't do).  Should they not meet that standard of proficiency, they need to be brought up to it. 

We train teachers to teach.  If we're going to add 'defend' to their job description, we should train for that too.  I want to know that the institution I'm sending my children to is holding their staff to a standard, teaching or otherwise.

What that standard is and who sets it is a different discussion.  But I can assert that CCW is not it.  It's barely a standard of any kind by itself.  You can get them online for crying out loud.

Fortunately for me, my children are now adults and are responsible for their own protection.  So for me this is academic to some degree. 

-T.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

ItWasntMe

• Known Agitator
    • Sr. Contributor
    Re: Re: Article and poll concerning School Resource Officers
    « Reply #26 on: December 29, 2012, 07:44:39 pm »
    I identify responsible gun owners the same way I identify responsible people in any other category, I watch what they do.  Like getting a CCW and not having accidents with their firearms. [...]
    Maybe I'm reading this wrong but....

Um. Haven't you ever done doughnuts in your car just because you could? Responsible people do stupid crap all the time for giggles. It doesn't make them inherently more dangerous or high of a risk. But if you apply reasonableness to a very misunderstood thing such as firearms then suddenly everyone is disqualified by the nanny state politicians in the name of the good of the children. Despite all care being taken to follow the rules about back stops, etc... Just plinking some steel one weekend could be used against you.

I'd rather it just be normal CCW training and then combative pistol courses from a place like GunSite.
    Have you considered the possibility that pathological narcissism is genetic?

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement