Username: Password:

Author Topic: Hi-Point 995 9mm Carbine  (Read 4931 times)

Dough333

Hi-Point 995 9mm Carbine
« on: December 26, 2012, 03:14:00 pm »
What is generally everyone's thought on these guns? 

I've heard both good and bad about Hi-Point.  I understand that if I were to get this that it would be a cheap gun.  In the realm of what is affordable right now though, is having some type of carbine preferable to not having one at all?

Also is there something to say about it's ability to use the same cheap ammo that my handgun uses?  In a potential shtf situation does it become more useful?

I'd love to hear any and all feedback, positives and negatives.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

PHXCobra

Re: Hi-Point 995 9mm Carbine
    « Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 03:25:08 pm »
    I have a friend that bought one when they first came out and were around $150 IIRC.  That thing is just plain fun to shoot.  More accurate than you would expect and fun... 

M4cowboy

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 06:27:28 pm »
    I had one for a few years and the tging just worked.  I have never had an issue with any of the Hi-points I have owned. Pair the carbine up with the 9mm pistol and you can share ammo and mags :)
    "Alright, you primitive screw-heads, listen up! See this? This... is my boomstick!" - Army of Darkness

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 06:39:19 pm »
    I've handled and fired Hi-Point pistols before.  Generally speaking, they're junk.  But, relatively speaking, they are the best junk available.

The carbine on the other hand seems to be in a slightly better class.  From what I can gather, the carbine is about on par with Kel-Tec's Sub-2000.

-T.

Marx-ism's

• Administrator
    • Why a duck?
    « Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 08:21:47 pm »
    I'm not a big fan of the aesthetics of the stock 995TS... but the 995TS with the aftermarket ATI stock looks much cooler to me.  :thumbup

Here's a pic someone took of a 995TS with ATI stock right next to a Beretta CX4.

Personally I prefer the Beretta... but I'm biased since I already own one!  ;D
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

mephisto

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 09:16:25 pm »
    I would have bought a hi-point already if they had a mag that took more than 10 rounds, like 25-30.

OARNGESI

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 02:39:48 am »
    mine was cheap reliable and accurate

JT

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 01:13:39 pm »
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/699289/promag-magazine-hi-point-995-995ts-carbine-9mm-luger-15-round-steel-blue
    Amazon has the stock for $57.
    From what I have seen of them they shoot and are very reliable. If I ran across one cheap I would buy it.
    Patron NRA GOA AZCDL

RugerDave

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 04:17:06 pm »
    I would have bought a hi-point already if they had a mag that took more than 10 rounds, like 25-30.

Same here, My thought exactly!    8)

Dough333

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 11:04:28 am »
    Thank you for all of the great feedback.  I think I am going to pull the trigger and get one of them.

Besides being fun to shoot, how practical are they for any form of defense? 

I suppose most of you have noted that it was accurate and that is probably most important.

Martimus, what scopes are on the two carbines that you posted? 

SirJesster

• Threadkiller
    • I am El Guapo Gordo!
    « Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 11:23:19 am »
    Besides being fun to shoot, how practical are they for any form of defense?

i would compare it to the h&k mp5, just semi auto. any carbine, really. i would actually prefer one if concealability and portability weren't issues. for anything beyond your arm's length or not in a confined area, i think they're superior to a pistol of the same caliber. i'd be comfortable taking 25-150 yard shots at a human sized target with one, where i would never consider it with a pistol.

they both shine in slightly different scenarios.
    Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, ever, cut a deal with a dragon.

Josh Smith

• Smith-Sights
    « Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 08:21:10 am »
    Hello,

They're cheap and have the reliability that goes with M1 Grease Guns.

I had one with the original-style stock, and it slapped my cheek when I'd touch it off.  The recoil set up a wave though the stock.

I do not know if the current stocks do this, but I'd be surprised if they did.

Regards,

Josh

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 10:04:23 am »
    I had one with the ati skeleton stock. It improved the look by leaps and bounds, and made it shoot much nicer. That thing was fun to bump off when ammo was cheap and plentiful....
    Heat it till it's hot, then beat it with a hammer until it's the shape you want.    Blacksmith's advice that works for pretty much everything in life

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement