Username: Password:

Author Topic: Suppressor makers meet with the ATF  (Read 7446 times)

Thernlund

• Administrator
  • AZGO Founder
Suppressor makers meet with the ATF
« on: July 09, 2012, 11:36:44 pm »
Picked this up from GearScout...

American Silencer Association meets with ATF and Congress

The American Silencer Association went to Martinsburg, WV, and Washington, DC, last month to meet with regulators and to see what was going on with the Form 4 processing times. The group represents the interests of end-users and the industry that manufacturers silencers. The founders are Advanced Armament Corporation, Gemtech and Silencerco/SWR.

Joshua Waldron from Silencerco/SWR narrates the trip and hints at some changes he sees coming down the road such as E-forms and the doing away with the law enforcement sign-off on individual transfers.

SOURCE:  http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2012/07/09/american-silencer-association-meets-with-atf-and-congress/

This sounds like there are good things to come.   :thumbup

-T.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

acetum

• Distance is your friend
    • check your six
    Re: Suppressor makers meet with the ATF
    « Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 09:45:29 am »
    nice... still sportin the top gun sun glasses...

[sarcasm] that must have been a fun meeting ... [/sarcasm]
    "To revolt is a natural tendency of life. Even a worm turns against the foot that crushes it. In general, the vitality and relative dignity of an animal can be measured by the intensity of its instinct to revolt." -Bakunin

Starguco

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 12:29:11 am »
    I am shocked :shocked whenI heard what the comment was from minute mark 3:23 forward on the video.
    Earlier comment 30,000 back logged applications. Take that x $200 per app = $60,000. Is that not the potential salary for say 3 more people?
    Please correct my math if I am wrong.
    I do understand this? Why?

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2012/07/09/american-silencer-association-meets-with-atf-and-congress/
    There is no such thing as Overkill. Die Lehrer Klaus Horstkamp.

"We must reject the idea every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each indiviual is accountable for his actions." Ronald Reagan

Cyris

• Beer and Bullets
    « Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 02:38:09 pm »
    I am shocked :shocked whenI heard what the comment was from minute mark 3:23 forward on the video.
    Earlier comment 30,000 back logged applications. Take that x $200 per app = $60,000. Is that not the potential salary for say 3 more people?
    I do understand this? Why?

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2012/07/09/american-silencer-association-meets-with-atf-and-congress/

I am not sure what they pay them, but I would think a full time job doing that would come with a higher salary than 20k/year. I agree though, even if they paid one person and kept some of those funds, it would be a better deal. They are the government, so you would think profitability is not an issue.
    .:Cyris

If you want to protect your Right to Keep and Bear Arms in Arizona, then you want to join the Arizona Citizens Defense League (AzCDL)

tknoll

Suppressor makers meet with the ATF
    « Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 03:40:35 pm »
    30,000x$200= ?
    $6,000,000
    "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns!!!"

Cyris

• Beer and Bullets
    « Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 03:54:27 pm »
    30,000x$200= ?
    $6,000,000

Hahaha! Yeah, I totally read that wrong.. Cheap bastards, they should hire several people.
    .:Cyris

If you want to protect your Right to Keep and Bear Arms in Arizona, then you want to join the Arizona Citizens Defense League (AzCDL)

JesseL

• Sr. Contributor
      • Lambert Gunworks LLC
    « Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 06:57:11 pm »
    Trouble is that the money doesn't go directly back into funding BATFE operations. It goes into the US general fund to be allocated by congress.

Starguco

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 01:05:28 am »
    OK Thank you for not really making a big deal about my math. :ohmy I was up late and I thought I went back in and edited that and hit save :doh Still the comment in the video was about 30,000 not processed. I really wonder what the real amount they process in a year?  Just for the video alone 30k x $200=$6,000,000. That number is a staggering amount to have just in fees. This is not including what I was told the fee to manufacture a tax stamp item. The cost I was told is $250,000. This is just for the license to manufacture. This does not include the actual item. I knew of a gun manufacture that made single shot rifles. He said every one he made he had to pay a $250 fee for each one. They are not a tax stamp item. I wonder what the tax the manufacture has to pay for one tax stamp item itself? Where does that money go? A  It goes into the US general fund to be allocated by congress. B Or where?
    If they placed all the money back onto the departments funds; Having enough staff from this figure used above. I can only guess it would take about a week or less with enough staff to process all the documents in on rotating basis. Not including the time to mail the paperwork back to the dealer just to process it in house.

"We must reject the idea every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each indiviual is accountable for his actions." Ronald Reagan

JesseL

• Sr. Contributor
      • Lambert Gunworks LLC
    « Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 08:36:39 am »
    This is not including what I was told the fee to manufacture a tax stamp item. The cost I was told is $250,000. This is just for the license to manufacture. This does not include the actual item.

That's not correct. To manufacture NFA firearms you need a type 07 or 10 manufacturers Federal Firearms License which costs $150 for 3 years, and register as a class 2 Special Occupational Taxpayer for, IIRC, $700 per year.

I knew of a gun manufacture that made single shot rifles. He said every one he made he had to pay a $250 fee for each one. They are not a tax stamp item. I wonder what the tax the manufacture has to pay for one tax stamp item itself? Where does that money go? A  It goes into the US general fund to be allocated by congress. B Or where?

That sounds like the Firearms and Ammunition Excise Tax. It's applied to every firearm sold to the public (10% sale price of handguns, 11% sale price of all others) and the money is earmarked specifically for wildlife and sport fish conservation.

A recent change to the FAET is that manufacturers who produce fewer that 50 firearms per year are now exempt.

ItWasntMe

• Known Agitator
    • Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 05:22:44 pm »
    Promising news. Perhaps by the time I get one there won't be a tax stamp.  :drool
    Have you considered the possibility that pathological narcissism is genetic?

Starguco

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 01:55:52 am »

MesaGlocker

• Young Gun
    « Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 12:26:59 pm »
    Promising news. Perhaps by the time I get one there won't be a tax stamp.  :drool

That would be nice! Men can dream, can't we?!  ;D

Starguco

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 12:43:04 am »
    I am now playing the wait game. Will see how long it takes to get my first stamp.

JT

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 12:24:35 pm »
    It would be a lot simpler and cheaper if they would just treat them as firearms and not class 3. In Europe you can buy the over the counter and they are pushed by the governments.
    Patron NRA GOA AZCDL

Starguco

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 12:59:35 am »
    Well the issue of hearing protection is very important. Imagine if each car in the USA did not have a muffler.
    Then each person in the USA would understand the use of a suppressor on a firearm.
    We are spoiled in the sense of having mufflers on our cars. We take them for granted.
    To prove this point people had required a race track in Hales corners in Wisconsin to have each race car have a muffler.
    The race track was built way before the properties around it were purchased and built on.
    Even after the mufflers were on the cars; they complained so much that they had the track shut down.
    Now take that approach to firearms for a noise issue and apply it. People would we requiring suppressor on a firearm. Thus the manufacture cost would go down it would be economical to sell them at a lower price. Hollywood has made them this mystical item. Mythbuster’s has proven that they are not that “Magic” item the Hollywood move’s portrays them as. They make it a point that the dB levels are safer with a suppressor than not.

European’s are a very concerned with hearing issues more than we are.

It would be a lot simpler and cheaper if they would just treat them as firearms and not class 3. In Europe you can buy the over the counter and they are pushed by the governments.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement