Username: Password:

Author Topic: Shotgun Forearm Rattle  (Read 3718 times)

SigFamily

Shotgun Forearm Rattle
« on: July 23, 2014, 07:36:55 pm »
I was in a gun shop today handling a Remington 1100 semi-auto shotgun. It was used and beautiful and I hesitated to buy it. One of the reasons I hesitated was the forearm rattles slightly if you try to see how tight it is on there. Nobody could figure out why this happened or how to fix it. It is a wooden walnut forearm. I was wondering if anybody knows how to fix this or if it will affect performance or anything?

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

Arizonagunsmith

Re: Shotgun Forearm Rattle
    « Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 07:44:44 pm »
    I would buy it if it was reasonable. Sounds like the support piece is missing or the o-ring is gone. Does it have screw in chokes or fixed?

Jon

SigFamily

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 07:53:46 pm »
    fixed i believe, smooth end and no slits for a screw in

billt

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 02:57:32 am »
    The face of the gas block on the barrel that engages the magazine cap has a small, spring loaded ball detent in it. It engages with about one turn to go on the cap. The cap itself has, (or should have), small dimples around it's circumference that engages the ball detent when it gets close enough. When it does you will start to hear a clicking noise as you tighten the cap as the ball detent rides over the dimples. This will continue until the magazine cap fully seats on the face of the gas block. When it does there should be no play, rattle, or slop. The barrel and forend should be nice and tight.

If this isn't happening make sure the firearm has the proper barrel, and or magazine cap mounted on it.
    "Our priorities as a nation are screwed up. It's funny how they can put a pair of 20 year old breasts on an old woman, or put a boner on an 80 year old man, or change one into the other. But they still can't cure Cancer."

SigFamily

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 11:24:25 am »
    The barrel is correct and I believe the magazine cap is as well. Is it possible the forearm is warped and the play comes from that?

Arizonagunsmith

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 11:38:59 am »
    One can not fix this without seeing it at this point. Did you buy it? If not where is it, as l might go do it...

Jon

LuckyLeaky

• Administrator
    « Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 11:41:03 am »
    If you don't shake it....it wont rattle....
    That's how I eliminated my glock rattle

ItWasntMe

• Known Agitator
    • Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 11:52:25 am »
    If you don't shake it....it wont rattle....
    That's how I eliminated my glock rattle
    Sage advice.
    Have you considered the possibility that pathological narcissism is genetic?

1911_username

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 06:11:44 pm »
    Does the forearm feel loose? Or is the rattle you hear on the inside of the forearm?

If it's the latter, I would say it has a bad barrel seal causing the piston seal to rattle. I used to have an 1100 and they are excellent. If the previous owner had never maintained it I'm almost positive that is whats causing the noise.

Guy1az

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 07:50:32 pm »
    I have had an 1100 for years and never had a rattle.  Very odd this one does.

SigFamily

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 01:57:29 am »
    I bought it. The rattle is the forearm, nothing inside. I'd say it's not a rattle so much as a the forearm has wiggle room. Gun shoots just fine and it doesn't affect anything yet, just thought it was odd and wondering how to fix it

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement