Username: Password:

Author Topic: Ameriglo safety light sticks  (Read 1614 times)

brandyspaw

• Sr. Contributor
Ameriglo safety light sticks
« on: December 23, 2014, 01:50:22 pm »
Anyone use the Ameriglo light sticks after their expiration date?

I was wondering if they're worth buying if you can get a deal on some that have an expiration date in a couple of years? I've never tried old ones and was just wondering if anyone had? If so, do they just lose their brightness?
"When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson

"Most of my money has gone for guns, cars and guitars.  The rest I just wasted."

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    Re: Ameriglo safety light sticks
    « Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 01:55:02 pm »
    They just don't get as bright, and eventually won't work at all.  The two chemicals in them just break down over time.  How long that breakdown takes depends on what the chemicals are and how they're stored.  Heat and humidity are bad I'm told.

-T.

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 02:52:07 pm »
    ^ This ^ .  Also the duration of the glow decreases pretty significantly.   
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

brandyspaw

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 03:55:53 pm »
    I figured as much. I actually wasn't sure if the chemicals in them might not glow at all as they age.

It makes me a little leary to buy older ones even though I can get these for 1/4 the cost of the newer ones. Its sometimes nice to be frugal but sometimes you find you're defeating the purpose of long term preps to go cheap.
    "When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    Thomas Jefferson

"Most of my money has gone for guns, cars and guitars.  The rest I just wasted."

Marx-ism's

• Administrator
    • Why a duck?
    « Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 03:26:07 pm »
    20 years ago when I was teaching scuba diving, we used to regularly use expired cyalume sticks on night dives.  They would dim as they aged but still usually put out enough light to be visible.  The newer cyalume sticks on the market seem to be significantly brighter.
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

K9ROCKY

• Over the Rim
    « Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 09:32:10 am »
    I keep mine in the refrigerator. I think it makes them store longer.  :whistle
    Bill
    K7ANT
    Comtrain TS&R Instructor
    NRA
    AZCDL
    USCCA

May God bless the Sheepdogs of America

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement