Username: Password:

Author Topic: It's not the size mate, it's how you use it  (Read 2978 times)

KingGlamis

It's not the size mate, it's how you use it
« on: January 21, 2015, 09:26:05 am »
Interesting article on ammo effectiveness. There is also a link to an FBI study at the bottom of the article.

http://www.ammoland.com/2015/01/handgun-caliber-doesnt-matter/
I consider owning and shooting guns to be a fun hobby. That could also save my life or the lives of others.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

FreeInAZ

• Sr. Contributor
    • Klingons never bluff. nottojtlhInganpu'.
    « Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 11:40:27 am »
    A good read IMHO. It just firms up what many have known for sometime, shot placement is key to surviving a SD shooting scenario. Carry what you can shoot well with, not the biggest cannon you can miss with. ;)

YMMV

ETA - now on a lighter note about poor marksmanship: (R) rated not for the family...

« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 11:47:46 am by FreeInAZ »
    Better to die on our feet than live on our knees! "The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable." -Sun Tzu

ItWasntMe

• Known Agitator
    • Sr. Contributor
    Re: It's not the size mate, it's how you use it
    « Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 03:14:17 pm »
    It should be noted that there have been incidents where someone used a gun of insufficient caliber and it didn't stop the attacker and it did more harm than good. 9mm is my general minimum. Some will say .40 S&W or .45 ACP.
    Have you considered the possibility that pathological narcissism is genetic?

FreeInAZ

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 03:38:58 pm »
    It should be noted that there have been incidents where someone used a gun of insufficient caliber and it didn't stop the attacker and it did more harm than good. 9mm is my general minimum. Some will say .40 S&W or .45 ACP.

It should also be of note that there have been incidents of attackers surviving multiple hits with larger calibers & continuing to fight, including 40 & 45. The point is - something is better than nothing, and a lot of hits near on target is far better IMHO, than a couple of bad placed shots with a larger caliber hand gun, that many may find difficult to control under stress. *** Don't get me wrong, I shoot & carry bigger calibers too when it fits in with my daily life. I just know a few folks who never carry their larger guns for many reasons. Including: comfort. To me anything is better than nothing is all I'm saying. IIRC,  the number 1 & 2 handgun loads used most commonly in defensive shootings are the .380 & 22lr? If so? Maybe it has to due with their ease of carry?

The worst gun to bring to a gunfight ( #1 - NO gun! ) (#2 a pistol ) (# 3 a pistol that you can't control and shoot accurately with.)

The best gun to bring to a gunfight - A long gun. But hey they don't fit in your pants too well. ;)
    « Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 04:41:40 pm by FreeInAZ »
    Better to die on our feet than live on our knees! "The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable." -Sun Tzu

870policemag

• Administrator
    « Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 05:36:38 pm »

:rotfl "Man I got these cheeseburgers man"   

That's one my all time favorites.

Size does help in some cases.

Bullets are the only things that do their job only after they're fired.

FreeInAZ

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 06:48:15 pm »
    lmao! "I'm bout to go nuclear on you suckah's! Check yourself!"

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement