Username: Password:

Author Topic: DPS backlog  (Read 13002 times)

Bushy

Re: DPS backlog
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2012, 10:26:23 pm »
I agree that most should take the class. And I'm sure it is enjoyable too. But I figured 6 years of intensive firearms training (as a weapons sgt) was probably sufficient for me to go ahead and take the pass and save the $50 8)

Yes for that much training I would have to agree. I didn't have any extra training on weapons other then what was done in basic in 1983.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

Black Wolf CCW

• Facebook: Blackwolf Defense
      • Black Wolf Defense
    « Reply #26 on: August 30, 2012, 10:43:20 pm »
    When ever I am offered firearms training at work I take it regardless of what the class is. Anything will help out. I may not learn anything new, but I will keep up the proficentcy though...
    Black Wolf Defense Firearms Training
    www.azccwclasses.com
    www.blackwolfccw.com
    (623) 694-0377
    Email: info@azccwclasses.com

CaptRover

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2012, 05:55:13 pm »
    This thread led me to look at the DPS rules on what qualifies as "firearm training". I was looking at using proof of military service. What I found there is that DPS will allow me to use my more than 60 day expired CCW as evidence of the training -- I just have to apply as a new permittee. Cool.

Black Wolf CCW

• Black Wolf Defense
    « Reply #28 on: August 31, 2012, 07:29:33 pm »
    This thread led me to look at the DPS rules on what qualifies as "firearm training". I was looking at using proof of military service. What I found there is that DPS will allow me to use my more than 60 day expired CCW as evidence of the training -- I just have to apply as a new permittee. Cool.
    Yep, They started that in July 2011.
    www.azccwclasses.com
    www.blackwolfccw.com
    (623) 694-0377

shield

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2012, 10:42:31 pm »
    Got mine mid August, just under 4 weeks from mailing the application.  Was told to expect up to 8 weeks.

Classictruckman

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2012, 08:28:20 pm »

If you had "military training" or some other type of training, or permit, outside Arizona --  Its a really good idea to take the CCW class with a local group that focuses on local laws and liabilities....

Its important to know what your personal liabilities, according to local laws, will be if you end up in a situation where you actually have to use your firearm for self defense....

Most of us who have been in shooting situations will tell you, there are a host of variables that the average person usually doesn't consider.   Up to and including civil liabilities, and the very real possibility that you will be sued in civil court, even if you're found justified in your shooting.

Refresher classes are always great to keep you up on changes in the local laws.
    Idealism is that which precedes experience...

DesertValleyFirearms

• Shooting....It's a Zen thing.
      • Mesa Firearms Store Desert Valley Firearms
    « Reply #31 on: October 29, 2012, 09:11:03 am »
    Could not agree with you more..... We have people come into the store everyday who claim to be proficient...... A DD-214 does not mean you know the local laws, and it is proven to me everyday that military background does not mean you know how to handle a firearm safely in public.  Most of the guys on my boat (Navy, Submarine) had to "qualify", but beyond that....never shot a gun again.

If you had "military training" or some other type of training, or permit, outside Arizona --  Its a really good idea to take the CCW class with a local group that focuses on local laws and liabilities....

Its important to know what your personal liabilities, according to local laws, will be if you end up in a situation where you actually have to use your firearm for self defense....

Most of us who have been in shooting situations will tell you, there are a host of variables that the average person usually doesn't consider.   Up to and including civil liabilities, and the very real possibility that you will be sued in civil court, even if you're found justified in your shooting.

Flash

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2012, 09:48:35 am »
    Could not agree with you more..... We have people come into the store everyday who claim to be proficient...... A DD-214 does not mean you know the local laws, and it is proven to me everyday that military background does not mean you know how to handle a firearm safely in public.  Most of the guys on my boat (Navy, Submarine) had to "qualify", but beyond that....never shot a gun again.

My brother and my 2 best friends all went into the Navy.  None of them ever qualified or even touched a rifle or handgun.

Another friend went in the Air Force.  Same thing, never touched a firearm.

On the other hand, everyone who goes in the Army or Marines qualifies with at least a rifle and learns safety with it....even if they don't remember later. :rotfl

Black Wolf CCW

• Black Wolf Defense
    « Reply #33 on: October 30, 2012, 09:24:12 am »

This goes back to last year, but DPS wanted to make a change in future so that some people could not use thier DD 214 (non weapons qualifying people). I don't know how DD 214s are done or if they state anything about weapons or what ever training the person had.

When it come to firearms and thier proper useage, responsibility totally falls on to the user, period.  All the laws and training is useless if the user takes no responsibility for himself/thier actions and using information they are given.

John
    « Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 09:28:46 am by Black Wolf CCW »
    www.azccwclasses.com
    www.blackwolfccw.com
    (623) 694-0377

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #34 on: October 30, 2012, 01:26:19 pm »
    To swing this back to the backlog topic, maybe DPS isn't as swamped as I though.  I sent my renewal in around the end of September and got my new card back about 2 weeks later.  Seemed pretty quick and painless. 

Of course, processing a NEW permit may be an entirely different thing.  So...  :-\

-T.

Black Wolf CCW

• Black Wolf Defense
    « Reply #35 on: October 30, 2012, 03:31:43 pm »
    To swing this back to the backlog topic, maybe DPS isn't as swamped as I though.  I sent my renewal in around the end of September and got my new card back about 2 weeks later.  Seemed pretty quick and painless. 

Of course, processing a NEW permit may be an entirely different thing.  So...  :-\

-T.

In the last 3 weeks I have had several people state they got thiers in 2 1/2 to 3 weeks. The upcoming holidays may be making things a bit better. I have seen a huge slow down in people doing applications due to other training requirements. How knows....
    www.azccwclasses.com
    www.blackwolfccw.com
    (623) 694-0377

Black Wolf CCW

• Black Wolf Defense
    « Reply #36 on: October 30, 2012, 03:33:20 pm »
    I will be up there tomorrow I will inquire about this.
    John
    www.azccwclasses.com
    www.blackwolfccw.com
    (623) 694-0377

Craig010

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2012, 05:52:53 am »
    I got my card in the mail yesterday.  Took about 2-1/2 weeks for a new issue.  I'd say that isn't bad at all.  Took twice that long for my LLC to process through Corporation Commission.  Guess DPS either hired some folks or something.  ~Craig
    Craig King
    King's Armory, LLC
    Sierra Vista, AZ  85635
    http://www.kingsarmory.biz
    Glock Certified Armorer

Black Wolf CCW

• Black Wolf Defense
    « Reply #38 on: November 01, 2012, 06:58:26 am »
    Good. I am sure the rush has went down, plus people are going to spend on the up coming holidays rather than CCW permits. About February things will pick up again.
    www.azccwclasses.com
    www.blackwolfccw.com
    (623) 694-0377

Psyprofaz

« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2012, 06:55:49 pm »
    Took course with Black Wolfe (John) in October. Mailed packet to DPS two days later and got the permit in just under 4 weeks.

RugerDave

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #40 on: November 25, 2012, 11:15:18 am »
    I got my CCW back in August of last year. It took me 9 almost 10 weeks!   :shocked      My wife just got hers about 3 weeks ago and it only took her 3 weeks to send in app and receive her card!  They must have either upgraded their systems for faster processing or hired a few good people to help with the process. I was amazed when she got an envelope from DPS so soon. I joked and said " It's probably a denial letter" but nope she opened it up with her card. She is lucky because the 10 weeks killed me.

Black Wolf CCW

• Black Wolf Defense
    « Reply #41 on: November 25, 2012, 07:57:12 pm »
     :thumbsup
    www.azccwclasses.com
    www.blackwolfccw.com
    (623) 694-0377

Starguco

« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2012, 01:21:23 am »
    You think that back log is bad. Compare it to applying for out state cc cards for other states. Las Vegas you had previous to the law change to qualify in a class with the specific firearms you would carry. @25 per handgun certification for a certain pistol at a certain class that was offered @ the time. say you have a 1911. It could not be just any 1911. Colt or Springfield made to mill spec. It has to be the make and model with caliber placed on the card. If you wanted to choose to carry say a Glock. You had to qualify with the Glock make model and caliber. Then your fingerprints were done via a computer scanner. Now on digital file access. Now wait again for the back ground check again. After the  Nevada CC law changes it now a new ball game. The Florida paperwork is 6 pages long. Small print 10 point font and you need a law degree to understand all the questions. Then another set of prints to be done. Then another wait time for that one card to go through. Then compare that to the NFA paperwork wait. Buy the item you want. Then another print card to be done. Then wait for the approval from your local constable.  The local constable can take up to a year. Then mail this to the NFA.  Time 6 month to a year! Watch the https://arizonagunowners.com/index.php/topic,761.0.html All the ones below the NFA are in comparison a piece of cake.
    There is no such thing as Overkill. Die Lehrer Klaus Horstkamp.

"We must reject the idea every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each indiviual is accountable for his actions." Ronald Reagan

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #43 on: November 27, 2012, 12:11:00 pm »
    Many years ago when I took my CCW, I saw several folks with PPKs.  They never really looked at my gun (an SP2022).

-T.

Cyris

• Beer and Bullets
    « Reply #44 on: November 27, 2012, 01:42:36 pm »
    Many years ago when I took my CCW, I saw several folks with PPKs.  They never really looked at my gun (an SP2022).

-T.

Is that a requirement here in AZ? I am pretty sure there was someone in my class who qualified with a .22 revolver =)
    .:Cyris

If you want to protect your Right to Keep and Bear Arms in Arizona, then you want to join the Arizona Citizens Defense League (AzCDL)

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #45 on: November 27, 2012, 01:46:03 pm »
    Not now (obviously).  I'm not sure back then.

-T.

Cyris

• Beer and Bullets
    « Reply #46 on: November 27, 2012, 01:47:40 pm »
    This was back in '04 when I took the course.
    .:Cyris

If you want to protect your Right to Keep and Bear Arms in Arizona, then you want to join the Arizona Citizens Defense League (AzCDL)

Starguco

« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2012, 01:30:08 am »
    CCW class Nevada 2011 taught by police office stripper in class (in front of me)  :woot quailfied with a small 22 long rifle psitol. :facepalm Ruger I think. I could fit it in the palm of my hand.
    There is no such thing as Overkill. Die Lehrer Klaus Horstkamp.

"We must reject the idea every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each indiviual is accountable for his actions." Ronald Reagan

Black Wolf CCW

• Black Wolf Defense
    « Reply #48 on: November 28, 2012, 06:22:44 am »

-T.

Is that a requirement here in AZ? I am pretty sure there was someone in my class who qualified with a .22 revolver =)

I have had numerous people qual with .22's. They are just fine doing so in AZ. No requirement in caliber here at all.
    www.azccwclasses.com
    www.blackwolfccw.com
    (623) 694-0377

Black Wolf CCW

• Black Wolf Defense
    « Reply #49 on: November 28, 2012, 06:23:58 am »
    Not now (obviously).  I'm not sure back then.

-T.

The only requirment in th past was the ammunition had to be centerfire only (I believe). No 22's were allowed.
    www.azccwclasses.com
    www.blackwolfccw.com
    (623) 694-0377

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement