Username: Password:

Author Topic: Too young?  (Read 5735 times)

Thernlund

• Administrator
  • AZGO Founder
Too young?
« on: July 19, 2015, 11:22:59 pm »
Picked up from ENDO...

I was initially annoyed with the guy in orange about the "assault weapon" remarks (don't need it for hunting, self-defense), but upon review I think he might have meant as it pertains to the little kid, not people in general.   :hmm  Kind of vague.

Based on how it was handled and the closing comments from the host, I think it was a pretty fair shake overall.  Not the raging anti-gun rhetoric you might expect.

-T.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

ItWasntMe

• Known Agitator
    • Sr. Contributor
    Re: Too young?
    « Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 07:29:24 am »
    I guess I'm a bad person. Attempts at balance aside, it still annoys me a lot. The type of person that woman portrayed is a type that I'm utterly and completely at odds with--the perpetual busybody that feels they have a right and obligation to inject themselves into my life. Some people in video handled it very well.
    Have you considered the possibility that pathological narcissism is genetic?

QueenGlamis

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 08:13:13 am »
     :thumbup My boy at about 5-6 years old and AR 15

AIM9X

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 10:36:19 am »
    I would lay right into the dad, not for buying his son a gun for his seventh birthday, but for deciding on a Cricket.

The CZ 452 Scout is a much better choice.

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-452-scout-22lr-beech-single-shot-adapter/

Seriously though, as a father of a small boy, I really struggle with this.  My boy seems to have a boy's natural fascination with guns, and I wonder when the right time is to start introducing him to safe handling.

JesseL

• Sr. Contributor
      • Lambert Gunworks LLC
    « Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 11:06:25 am »
    Started my boy at 6.

Cyris

• Beer and Bullets
    « Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 03:02:11 pm »
    We started kids out young as well, and I was started out young. As soon as they are mentally able to understand, and physically able to hold/control, they should have at least the basics instilled into them. The family with the daughter saying "don't touch" was cute, and that's how we did it too. I started them out on BB and Pellet rifles as soon as they were able to carry them. Had my son out dove hunting, and carrying a BB gun many times. Then we would let him shoot the .22 after we were done hunting. Teaching safety the entire time he was having fun.

I am a firm believer that the kids who learn gun safety are the ones that don't have the curiosity. I always told the kids "If you want to look at and play with the guns, just ask me. Anytime. I will take out whatever you want and you can do it with my supervision". After a few times digging through the safe, they were a lot less curious about them and they knew how to operate the actions on most things (even when they didn't have the strength to do so).

.:Cyris

If you want to protect your Right to Keep and Bear Arms in Arizona, then you want to join the Arizona Citizens Defense League (AzCDL)

SirJesster

• Threadkiller
    • I am El Guapo Gordo!
    « Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 03:46:00 pm »
    I am a firm believer that the kids who learn gun safety are the ones that don't have the curiosity. I always told the kids "If you want to look at and play with the guns, just ask me. Anytime. I will take out whatever you want and you can do it with my supervision". After a few times digging through the safe, they were a lot less curious about them and they knew how to operate the actions on most things (even when they didn't have the strength to do so).

this mirrors my experiences 100%.
    Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, ever, cut a deal with a dragon.

Dr. Football

• Contributor
    • "Your Brighter then dead Lightbulb"-My Father.....
    « Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 11:22:58 pm »
    My father Started me at 6. I think it made me a better person. I'm also glad so many people( even in Texas) stood up to the woman.

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 12:54:37 am »
    I wonder when the right time is to start introducing him to safe handling.
    As soon as he can physically handle a firearm safely. Mine started at 3. They were not allowed to shoot a gun until they could strip it, show me it was empty, assemble it, and safely shoulder it. Their (I have boy/girl twins) first was a ruger single six at 3 years old. They could break it down to nuts and bolts before full sentences.... Which is another reason that safes are dependant on the home situation. Mine are 14 now, I leave loaded guns wherever I want and don't have to sweat it (they get put away when friends are over). But, mine wr=ere running a chainsaw in my arms as infants (Chest carriers, ear/eye pro)...it's all about how you raise them
    Heat it till it's hot, then beat it with a hammer until it's the shape you want.    Blacksmith's advice that works for pretty much everything in life

870policemag

• Administrator
    « Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 04:53:06 pm »
    I love this show.  Makes you wonder what type of reactions they'd get in a blue state. :hmm
    Bullets are the only things that do their job only after they're fired.

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 08:00:21 pm »
    More contrived BS.   :facepalm    I thought I was watching bad reruns of "Candid Camera" .    If you want to have an honest discussion about something with real people you don't have to hire actors and go with the old "hidden camera" routine. 
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

DezrtRat

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 07:17:46 am »
    I started my boys off the same way I started.  My dad (and then me with my boys) demonstrated the damage that occurs when a gallon jug of water is shot with a 12ga.  Then I had to shoot the shotgun.  Yes, it knocked me down, but I immediately learned the power of firearms and instantly respected them.  Of course, gun safety preceded and followed the demo.  I waited until my boys were 8 & 9 so they didn't actually get knocked down and were able to hold the shotgun themselves.  When I was a kid, our guns hung on a gun rack in a hallway and were always loaded.  But due to the proper training, we never had any issues.
    Phil

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
      • Immediate Action Tactics & Training Group
    « Reply #12 on: July 23, 2015, 06:42:08 am »
    Age is just a number. It's the parents call when they see the child's state of mind mature enough to comprehend the safety and respect the firearm. Nate was about 5-6 when he shot AR and 22s.
    NRA Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    Colt AR15 Certified Armorer
    GLOCK Armorer

Xd45

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2015, 11:02:49 pm »
    Both of my boys shot the first time at 7.  My older one was/is mature enough to handle it.  My younger one who is 7 now and 8 very soon started later, has only been once and needs a little more time to mature before he goes again.  I agree with Car-Ram-Rod, each kids different and needs to go at his own speed.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

OConnor1029

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2015, 02:37:26 pm »
    Kids need to be taught gun safety at an early age. Though I don't think buying a young child an actual real gun to begin with as a great idea. That's just me. I would start off with a BB gun instead.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement