Username: Password:

Author Topic: How safe is desert shooting?  (Read 8087 times)

Agibbs996

How safe is desert shooting?
« on: September 01, 2015, 10:49:40 am »
I'm starting to feel a little restricted by the local shooting ranges.  I'd like to do rifle to pistol transitions but I'm not ready for 3 gun.   So, I was thinking of getting some steal targets and heading off to the desert.   Never wandering off a paved path, I'm how safe is it out there?  Any issues with thieves, drug runners, inbred mutant desert people, chupacabras, etc?

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    Re: How safe is desert shooting?
    « Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 11:08:40 am »
    Depends on where you go.  Most places are fairly safe, but super-popular areas like Tonopah-Salome or Table Mesa can be dicey due to so many careless shooters being around.

I personally have never had any encounters with the criminal type in any area.

-T.

armoredman

• Contributor
    « Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 11:12:08 am »
    Agreed. A real range is usually a safer place to shoot, AKA letting your guard down long enough to concentrate on shooting. A wildcat range with numerous people can be a great time or "Danger, Will Robinson" time.  Go weekdays, not weekends, and go with one or two trusted friends, not by yourself, in case of accidents, snake bite, etc., and have fun.
    A compromise is the Casa Grande range, a nice well built range that is unmonitored, so the only restrictions are "don't blow the place up".

gator

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 11:48:05 am »
    Depends on where you go.  Most places are fairly safe, but super-popular areas like Tonopah-Salome or Table Mesa can be dicey due to so many careless shooters being around.

I personally have never had any encounters with the criminal type in any area.

-T.
    Really.........Salome?.........been here 31 years and go shooting out in the desert by myself all the time.........rarely even see another person.

Prefer to do my load sighting in by myself.......less distractions.

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 12:35:00 pm »
    Really.........Salome?.........been here 31 years and go shooting out in the desert by myself all the time.........rarely even see another person.

Last time I was out there (in May about?) there were at least 15 groups of people lining the hillside.  That was a Saturday.

-T.

JesseL

• Sr. Contributor
      • Lambert Gunworks LLC
    « Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 12:57:10 pm »
    Seems this question could be read a few ways.

How safe is it to go out in the desert?

The desert isn't forgiving of fools. Don't be a fool and you'll be alright though. Bring shade and water, let someone know where you're going, etc.

How safe is it to go out where other people shoot in the desert?

Some of those folks are psycho and/or jackasses. Make sure you know where they're shooting and what their backstop is. Keep a loaded sidearm handy when you're changing targets and such.

gator

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 01:11:03 pm »
    Last time I was out there (in May about?) there were at least 15 groups of people lining the hillside.  That was a Saturday.

-T.
    In Salome? Where were you?

870policemag

• Administrator
    « Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 01:25:34 pm »
    Some of those folks are psycho and/or jackasses. Make sure you know where they're shooting and what their backstop is. Keep a loaded sidearm handy when you're changing targets and such.

Agree ten fold. I've been scoped out several times by some sketchy looking characters. It's a good idea to keep someone by the vehicle to look after the guns when you set up your targets.
    Bullets are the only things that do their job only after they're fired.

devildogandboy

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 02:00:42 pm »
    the spot i go to is mostly deserted and 4x4 is required in a couple of spots sometimes, i see tracks out there once in a blue moon but have never seen any people. my range in this spot can go out to 500+ yards. i go by myself, it's that or not go at all, don't know anybody in the area that shoots.

Bruce

Agibbs996

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 02:31:17 pm »
    Thanks for the responses.  The area I'll check out is on Apache Trail a few miles where the pavement turns to gravel.   Looks like that's not a prohibited place on the USDA's map.   I'd only want to go about 1/2 miles out from the main road (shooting in opposite direction again a back stop of course).   I'd probably be in and out in about 30 minutes or less.

https://arizonagunowners.com/index.php/topic,1100.125.html

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 04:19:30 pm »
    To the above, I would add - bring a good set of binoculars.  They are inordinately useful things to have around.  Especially when cruising around the desert by yourself. 
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 04:38:04 pm »
    In Salome? Where were you?

I don't think we're talking about the same place...

https://goo.gl/maps/61WPe

-T.

kydexwerks

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 04:52:23 pm »
    If you are doing pistol/rifle drills. Open carry what you are doing drills with.

Always conceal carry out in the desert. Shady people who shouldnt own a firearm go out to those spots to "practice"

1911_username

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 05:00:31 pm »
    All great solid advise all has given!

Be safe
    Be observant of your surroundings
    Be prepared
    Have Fun

On a side note, make sure the area you are going to is not " State Trust Land"! I have seen people get cited for plinking.
    « Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 05:06:50 pm by 1911_username »

ItWasntMe

• Known Agitator
    • Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #14 on: September 01, 2015, 05:53:54 pm »
    I don't think we're talking about the same place... [...]
    Pretty sure he means the town where US-60 meets (and terminates at) I-10.
    Have you considered the possibility that pathological narcissism is genetic?

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
      • Immediate Action Tactics & Training Group
    « Reply #15 on: September 01, 2015, 06:32:52 pm »
    Hell I think ranges are more dangerous then the desert. But I don't shoot at really busy places in desert. That case grande range to me was very unsafe. Walking out to 300 yards with ppl eyeing your rifles with 20 yards to there car
    NRA Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    Colt AR15 Certified Armorer
    GLOCK Armorer

lckjose

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2015, 07:36:02 pm »
    I'm starting to feel a little restricted by the local shooting ranges.  I'd like to do rifle to pistol transitions but I'm not ready for 3 gun.   So, I was thinking of getting some steal targets and heading off to the desert.   Never wandering off a paved path, I'm how safe is it out there?  Any issues with thieves, drug runners, inbred mutant desert people, chupacabras, etc?
    What city are you in...

lckjose

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2015, 07:59:56 pm »
    the spot i go to is mostly deserted and 4x4 is required in a couple of spots sometimes, i see tracks out there once in a blue moon but have never seen any people. my range in this spot can go out to 500+ yards. i go by myself, it's that or not go at all, don't know anybody in the area that shoots.

Bruce
    Same here the lone shooter part..i have friends that will go with me once in a while but for the most part its me and my toys...i too have a spot where i can go out to 500 yards and up but it is a hike...Im in Mesa what part of town are you in...

gator

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2015, 09:35:01 pm »
    I don't think we're talking about the same place...

https://goo.gl/maps/61WPe

-T.
    No sir, we sure are not, I'm about 60 miles west of where you indicated  on the map.

gator

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2015, 09:36:07 pm »
    Pretty sure he means the town where US-60 meets (and terminates at) I-10.
    But 25 miles east of there on Hwy 60.

Guy1az

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #20 on: September 02, 2015, 06:02:51 am »
    When shooting out in the desert alone I never walk down to the targets without taking something with me that has some range.  Looking back at the shooting table with my valuable firearms on it just makes you realize how easy it would be for someone to grab and go.

Alex

• Contributor
    « Reply #21 on: September 02, 2015, 07:09:39 am »
    When shooting out in the desert alone I never walk down to the targets without taking something with me that has some range.  Looking back at the shooting table with my valuable firearms on it just makes you realize how easy it would be for someone to grab and go.

But what could you do with your rifle if you look back 300 yds and see someone throwing your stuff in their trunk? I'm pretty sure you can't legally shot them at 300 over property. Unless you are a young dude .... well ... I havent sprinted 300 yds since high school so they would just be gone with my stuff. Might be better to just take out what your going to shoot at the moment and leave the rest in the trunk until you are going to use it.

lckjose

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2015, 07:26:17 am »

Check this out. Is this what you had in mind

devildogandboy

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2015, 08:18:53 am »
    Same here the lone shooter part..i have friends that will go with me once in a while but for the most part its me and my toys...i too have a spot where i can go out to 500 yards and up but it is a hike...Im in Mesa what part of town are you in...

far westside over by Sun City/Surprise area.  :mad

Bruce

armoredman

• Contributor
    « Reply #24 on: September 02, 2015, 10:02:53 pm »
    That extreme fisheye was giving me nausea...but reminded me of a hillside shooting area far north west side of Tucson.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement