Username: Password:

Author Topic: CZ82 as EDC  (Read 2426 times)

CaptRover

CZ82 as EDC
« on: August 31, 2012, 04:01:53 PM »
There are a couple of cool C&R guns on the market today. I'm considering a couple. The Mosin-Nagant (see my post http://arizonagunowners.com/index.php/topic,1016.0.html) and the CZ82.

The CZ82 has been very well reviewed and looks like a great little (heavy?) pistol. Anyone have any experience with them, and what are your thoughts on everyday concealed carry? Holstering is a non issue as I can get a custom kydex made for it.

JesseL

• Administrator
    • Lambert Gunworks LLC
Re: CZ82 as EDC
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 04:24:10 PM »
As long as you can reliably feed it quality defensive ammo, it should be a fine choice.

Thernlund

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 05:15:46 PM »
I met a guy who carried one.  He didn't seem to have any complaint.  He just fed it ball ammo though.  With 9x18mm Makarov, which is basically the equivalent of .380 +P, I don't think using HPs is going to make much of a difference.

That said, there are options, such as the Glaser Pow'RBall, that'll give you a good defensive HP round while still retaining the feed reliability of ball ammo.

-T.
    The views expressed in this post are personal views only and not those of AZGO.  AZGO doesn't have views.  It's a piece of software.

CaptRover

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 05:50:29 PM »
I have yet to see a bad review. I get the feeling they are a great example of CZ quality. I'm pretty sure one is in my future.

I've never wanted a "mousegun". But I think the makarov round is an OK compromise.

effjaybay

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 02:31:59 PM »
The wife and I went up to J&G back in May. She bought a cz82, and I bought a mosin. She tried it out four a couple of weeks and thought it was a bit bulky for her since she wanted something small for when she's jogging so instead she went and got a keltec. I made myself a leather LH holster for it and I've been carrying that thing every single day since. I carry that thing everywhere I go now and I've gotten que used to it. I carried a Bulgarian makarov before it and the cz is quite a bit bulkier but the 12+1 capacity makes it worth the change over. About once a week, I stop at the pistol parlour out in mesa, grab a couple if silver bear boxes, and shoot one box out in the desert. It's very accurate, and I've only had an issue with a weak spring in one of the magazines, which aren't cheap, but all in all I'm happy and comfortable with it.

idiotsayswhat

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 06:50:11 AM »
Hi,

I know I'm new to the convo, but thought I'd throw in my .02 cents... 

The CZ82 is a great little gun with a fantastic trigger IMO.  The Czechs don't mess around.  Good quality ammo gets a bit pricey, but you can get the cheap stuff at a good enough price and it usually fires well.  The grip feels a bit bulky, but it's a double stack, 12 round magazine.  The recoil felt on them bites more than my Glock 27 which is weird, but so much fun to shoot, I'm over it.   

Biggest Con I can think of is magazine price.  No aftermarkets are available so you're typically looking at 30 - 40 bucks for a surplus mag, though you can sometimes find bulk deals on them on gun broker in good condition or what not for 18 bucks a piece.  You just have to scour the dark corners of the internet and wait for those deals...

LOC

• Revolver Driver
  • Wish you were here...
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 09:57:07 AM »
Yeah, I'm a bit late to this party and it looks as though you've already sipped the Kool-Aid, but thought I'd chime in.  I've had quite a few '82's and love them.  I finally decided to put a little effort into one (my OCD got the better of me).  I COMPLETELY disassembled it, stripped the old finish off and Duracoated it Combat Black.  All new springs, with a Wolff HP recoil spring (that really reduced the "snappy" recoil).  And to finish it off...some thin ambidextrous Marschal's grips (it took 3 months to arrive, but they are worth every penny), which really reduced the grip profile.  It's now one of my Cold Dead Hand pistols.
Liberals always talk about the best of intentions.  Conservatives just make it happen.  - Andrew Wilkow

capcyclone

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 02:55:37 PM »
Yeah, I'm a bit late to this party and it looks as though you've already sipped the Kool-Aid, but thought I'd chime in.  I've had quite a few '82's and love them.  I finally decided to put a little effort into one (my OCD got the better of me).  I COMPLETELY disassembled it, stripped the old finish off and Duracoated it Combat Black.  All new springs, with a Wolff HP recoil spring (that really reduced the "snappy" recoil).  And to finish it off...some thin ambidextrous Marschal's grips (it took 3 months to arrive, but they are worth every penny), which really reduced the grip profile.  It's now one of my Cold Dead Hand pistols.

I really like the grips on that CZ - nice choice!   :thumbup

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 12:52:58 AM »
That really came out nice.   :thumbup
"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness.  Bad manners.  Lack of consideration for others in minor matters.  A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot."

Robert A. Heinlein,  "Friday"

idiotsayswhat

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 07:13:42 AM »
This has long been one of my favorite CZ82 refinish jobs that I've seen on the internet... 

The possibilities with this gun are pretty expansive. 

CaptRover

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 06:51:32 PM »
CZ82's like those above are why I want one (or three). Objets d'arts

idiotsayswhat

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 09:14:45 PM »
I know right??? 

I honestly love my CZ82 and just looking through peoples refinish jobs on those makes me love them more.  Mine is stock and while I've seen some in far worse condition, it's not pretty to look at.  Seeing these just get's me excited about them though.  The hard part is knowing doing such things with them makes a 200 dollar gun cost 500 dollars and there seems to be bad math there... 

capcyclone

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 04:44:38 PM »
There's no doubt you can easily overaccessorize or bling out what is a rather inexpensive gun, but my philosophy has been if you don't really plan to part with it for several years - you might as well make changes/upgrades that will increase your enjoyment of it while you own it.  Not everything you do in life has to make a profit - right? 

Thernlund

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 04:49:46 PM »
There's no doubt you can easily overaccessorize or bling out what is a rather inexpensive gun, but my philosophy has been if you don't really plan to part with it for several years - you might as well make changes/upgrades that will increase your enjoyment of it while you own it.  Not everything you do in life has to make a profit - right? 

While you may not profit financially, in a technical sense you profit from being happy and enriching your life, even if it is a teeny little bit.   ;)

I know what you meant though, and I agree.  It's not all just about cash value.

-T.
    The views expressed in this post are personal views only and not those of AZGO.  AZGO doesn't have views.  It's a piece of software.

LOC

• Revolver Driver
  • Wish you were here...
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 08:49:10 AM »
I know right??? 

I honestly love my CZ82 and just looking through peoples refinish jobs on those makes me love them more.  Mine is stock and while I've seen some in far worse condition, it's not pretty to look at.  Seeing these just get's me excited about them though.  The hard part is knowing doing such things with them makes a 200 dollar gun cost 500 dollars and there seems to be bad math there...

$150 for the CZ (I have a C&R)
$30 for the Duracoat
$70 for the grips

Total:  $250

Look for a REALLY ugly CZ for cheap.  Mechanically, they'll all be pretty good.
Liberals always talk about the best of intentions.  Conservatives just make it happen.  - Andrew Wilkow

LOC

• Revolver Driver
  • Wish you were here...
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2012, 08:51:01 AM »

While you may not profit financially, in a technical sense you profit from being happy and enriching your life, even if it is a teeny little bit.   ;)

I know what you meant though, and I agree.  It's not all just about cash value.

-T.

Plus, it's a good learning experience for aspiring DIYers.