Username: Password:

Author Topic: Need a gunsmith?  (Read 4156 times)

ccapehart1017

• 1st bat. 8th Cavalry Regiment. OIF 06-08
Need a gunsmith?
« on: September 02, 2012, 11:36:56 am »
i dropped off my glock22 slide at glockmonger to have it done in silver gunkote or whatever like in the pic it had some holster wear etc  and he quoted 3 weeks to a month and 90 bucks can anyone on here get it done faster i dont mind payin a little bit more
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 11:39:03 am by ccapehart1017 »

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

Gaston34

Re: Need a gunsmith?
    « Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 07:07:41 pm »
    i dropped off my glock22 slide at glockmonger to have it done in silver gunkote or whatever like in the pic it had some holster wear etc  and he quoted 3 weeks to a month and 90 bucks can anyone on here get it done faster i dont mind payin a little bit more

3 weeks to a month seems a bit excessive.  I use cerakote and it would normally only take me 3 to 4 days to get it completed and back to a customer....and even a little cheaper than the quote you have received.  If interested, check out my site at tacticalinstincts.com

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
      • Immediate Action Tactics & Training Group
    « Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 08:24:13 pm »
    u must not have alot of experience with"good" gunsmiths. there in demand man. they have a reputation and i guaruntee your not next in line. Matt Cheelys gonna have my glock for 2.5 months before my custom work is finished. would you rather know its done right and will last or a quicky job thats so so and might not last. some builds take years, some finishing jobs take months.
    NRA Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    Colt AR15 Certified Armorer
    GLOCK Armorer

Harm

• Devils Advocate Recoil Junkie Loctite Applicator
    • Administrator
    « Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 08:29:10 pm »
    No I'm sorry for work I could see taking a while but a finish job?  No that seems excessive- check w desert valley firearms - its not Gunkote but they do Cerakote if I understand correctly. Otherwise I know Derek at Azex arms does good finish work too.
    I know where my towel is.

N.M.Edmands

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 08:47:35 pm »
     :thumbsup Contact Tim at   http://www.acoating.com/   He did my P7 and 7 magazines.  Excellent work and I dropped it off at his place @ noon on Sat. and picked it up @ 5PM Tues!  Stars all came together at the right time for me/unusually fast turnaround.  Then again maybe my obvious separation anxiety convinced him I might have a stroke waiting. :'(
    Nat
    Politics is spherical; the only choice is which side of many to choose.
     But because politics is spherical there are only 2 sides--inside or outside.
     If I wish to maintain sanity I must choose outside.

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 08:49:21 pm »
    ^^^ I saw his P7.  It was an amazing Cerakote job.   :thumbup

-T.

ccapehart1017

• 1st bat. 8th Cavalry Regiment. OIF 06-08
    « Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 05:17:24 pm »
    well most work i do myself that i have tools or means to do i used be a company armour .....and other weapons im mostly self tought and i did some work for friends and they said i should do it for a business so i started getting more and more people askin me to to do like cleanings, repairs,  simple glock upgrades and 1911 upgrades and ive amassed some tools to do night sights slidejobs trigger jobs fiting 1911 parts that need fitting of course
    but when it comes to finishes and milling anything i just dont have the tools or equipment to do it and never been shown how so i rarely have to go to a gunsmith almost never
    thats kinda why i had a post awhile about getting more into the gunsmith world if there was anyone out there willing to take an apprentice type deal or even point me in the right direction on how to get certified stuff like that. ive looked online and theres not really any kind of technical places or schools or whatever that offer gunsmithing courses or what ever no gunsmithing classes at mcc is offered ive found a couple schools but dont seem to get much response from the email address and the numbers i just get voicemails i think there call yavapi and sanorin desert ins

N.M.Edmands

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 05:58:52 pm »
      Hey ccapehart1017, yavapi would be Yavapai Collage in Prescott. Here is a link to their gunsmith course page:  http://www.yc.edu/academics/degrees-and-certificates/associate-of-applied-science---gunsmithing/17 . I have no personal experience with them other than dealing with one fellow who graduated, but everything I have heard has been good :-\
    Nat
    Politics is spherical; the only choice is which side of many to choose.
     But because politics is spherical there are only 2 sides--inside or outside.
     If I wish to maintain sanity I must choose outside.

Gaston34

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 06:50:26 pm »
    u must not have alot of experience with"good" gunsmiths. there in demand man. they have a reputation and i guaruntee your not next in line. Matt Cheelys gonna have my glock for 2.5 months before my custom work is finished. would you rather know its done right and will last or a quicky job thats so so and might not last. some builds take years, some finishing jobs take months.

If a finishing job takes months, that is because the weapon most likely just sat for all but a week or two of that time.  Even an extensive 3 or 4 color camo pattern in cerakote should not take more than 2 weeks from initial blasting and prep, to finish, unless there is a backlog.  I'm curious as to what your experience is regarding refinishing firearms.
    « Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 06:58:15 pm by Gaston34 »

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement