Username: Password:

Author Topic: Scope suggestion for a Remington 700 in .308  (Read 3859 times)

Super Tomcat

Scope suggestion for a Remington 700 in .308
« on: October 12, 2015, 09:48:11 pm »
Well the title sums it up pretty well, i have a Remington 700 with no Scope, no irons, and a heavy barrel.

It would make a great nail puncher, with a proper scope and me spending some quality time learning the finer points (and rough ones) of optics. I have looked myself but commonly become over whelmed or wanting to buy what I believe is more then what I really need.

Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced versatile Scope/scopes that can lay through me leaning optics? I would prefer to spend less then $150.

Thank you ahead of time for you knowledge and input.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
      • Immediate Action Tactics & Training Group
    Re: Scope suggestion for a Remington 700 in .308
    « Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 09:56:27 pm »
    Save your pennies man. Bare minimum IMO would be a vortex HS-t. For around 500. Come to a shoot in December and I'll let you shoot any of mine. I'll show you why.

What caliber
    NRA Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    Colt AR15 Certified Armorer
    GLOCK Armorer

ShooterReady

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 10:07:22 pm »
    Expecting a scope to be cheap AND be good for long range shooting is not going to work out for you.  The words 'cheap' and 'optics' do not go well together.  If you are on a budget, Bushnell makes a very nice fixed 10 power mil-dot scope, the Elite Tactical.  You can get one on Amazon for around $200.  The mil-dot scope and fixed 10x are a great way to learn long-range shooting.

If you are going to get serious about long range shooting, start saving your pennies.  Buy once, cry once.
    Have a good 'un

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 10:44:04 pm »
    i can bring that bushnell out for ya to. I have the elite 4200 on my Barrett. touch scope but the dots cover alot of the target at distance.
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    GLOCK Armorer

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 08:58:28 am »
    The rule of thumb with quality glass it that a decent scope will cost as much or more than the base price of the rifle you plan to mount it on (with exceptions). Your glass is possibly the most important part of a long range setup, since the rifle is really "just a way to launch the projectile".  Tune your rifle to be consistent with where it places the rounds, and the scope does the rest.
    Heat it till it's hot, then beat it with a hammer until it's the shape you want.    Blacksmith's advice that works for pretty much everything in life

870policemag

• Administrator
    « Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 09:10:56 am »
    Save your pennies man.

The rule of thumb with quality glass it that a decent scope will cost as much or more than the base price of the rifle.

^^These.^^

Good glass is key because you can only shoot what you can see. Vortex and SWFA branded optics are great for the money.

http://swfa.com/default.aspx
    Bullets are the only things that do their job only after they're fired.

Super Tomcat

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 03:39:15 pm »
    Thank you for the input. Rereading  my post today I'm realizing I know $150 was way low balling my optics.

I'll take a look at the suggestions. Car-ram-rod, where do you shoot in December? So far the only range I have been to its C2 tactical.

Marx-ism's

• Administrator
    • Why a duck?
    « Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 06:46:43 pm »
    Thank you for the input. Rereading  my post today I'm realizing I know $150 was way low balling my optics.

I'll take a look at the suggestions. Car-ram-rod, where do you shoot in December? So far the only range I have been to its C2 tactical.

I believe CRR shoots mostly up in the desert around Prescott...
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 07:16:20 pm »
    yup ill shoot at the 169 spot alot when im home but i know many ppl mentioned shooting somewhere in phx. that may be possible
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    GLOCK Armorer

OB1Coyote

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 05:35:52 pm »
    You, may buy/sell through many rifles in your lifetime bit you can keep a good piece of glass through them all. I personally have and highly recommend a Vortex Viper PST with a First Focal Plane reticle. Mine came in at $900. The Vortex lifetime warranty and excellent service go nicely with a product you are likely to keep for a lifetime.
    “In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.” -- Mark Twain

Super Tomcat

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2016, 11:06:06 am »
    Thanks for all the replies. I ended up going with a Sightmark 3-9x42 Triple Duty Riflescope which was right in the price range that I wanted to start at while learning optics. The owner of Healy Arms was amazingly helpful getting the scope mounted and answered all my beginner questions. Next thing to do is have a gunsmith look at the bolt and try to fix the locking issue I am having with any non Winchester rounds

JarheadAZ

• Contributor
      • Greg Langelius *
    « Reply #11 on: July 20, 2016, 10:31:00 am »
    Saving pennies is a good idea, but it also tends to leave the user cooling their heels until the penny jar gets heavy enough. I think the user needs to have something that's reasonably usable in the interim.

I have several of, and strongly recommend, the Tasco 6-24x42 Varmint/Target MilDot (VAR624X42M) scope as something to get the ball rolling while the finances amass. https://www.amazon.com/Tasco-Target-Varmint-6-24x42mm-Reticle/dp/B000GEY6L4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469035726&sr=8-1&keywords=var624x42m It was not the limiting factor; wind was, and remains, that.

Granted, it's not likely to turn on a purist, but it is more likely to get you shooting right away. I shot it in 1000yd F Open for two years (.260 Rem) before I bought my Mueller 8-32x44's. https://www.amazon.com/Mueller-Target-Rifle-Scope-Black/dp/B004689ZWQ?ie=UTF8&hvadid=28049088666&hvbmt=e&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&ref=pd_sl_48tneic3vj_e&tag=geminimobiles-20

Please note, the higher magnifications tend to work better at shorter distances than waaaay out in the boonies...; mirage, mainly...

It will need rings too, but the suggested ones might not work as well as Mediums for getting the cheek weld down to a more reasonable altitude (for both of the above). That's what's on my accurized 10/22.

Greg
    « Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 10:42:45 am by JarheadAZ »
    Not lookin' to be in a gunfight, but if you find yourself mixed up in one, it might be kinda nice to have a gun...

"Faint heart never filled a flush" - Brett Maverick

Good marksmanship is no accident - JarheadNY

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement