Username: Password:

Author Topic: Fire, Steel, and a Hammer  (Read 13821 times)

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
Re: Fire, Steel, and a Hammer
« Reply #75 on: June 25, 2016, 11:40:55 am »
I don't see why not. I don't have much forging planned for the summer due to the heat down here, and not wanting to get the fire dept called every time we fire up the coal forge in the shop in pinetop.
Nextproject for the summer is to build a new smithy for my cousin in pinetop. Stage 1 is removing a few trees, leveling the ground, and digging the footer and pads for the power hammer and hydraulic press.
Heat it till it's hot, then beat it with a hammer until it's the shape you want.    Blacksmith's advice that works for pretty much everything in life

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #76 on: June 27, 2016, 05:07:24 pm »
    I've had this stiletto brand axe head for the better part of 15 years, and was struck with inspiration the other day. I don't usually do "stock removal" for my knives and axes, they're usually forged, but this looked to be a pretty simple project.
    I give you, a Viking Battle Axe.  It's a work in progress, as it still needs a little help with the radius on the bottom and lots of sanding to get it to a near mirror before heat treat, then re finish, then acid etch (I'm thinking a Celtic dragon and some runes), then buff and mount to a haft.   I have an ebay photo of what the axe looked like before I got to it, only mine was much rougher and heavily pitted.
    Heat it till it's hot, then beat it with a hammer until it's the shape you want.    Blacksmith's advice that works for pretty much everything in life

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #77 on: June 28, 2016, 07:58:47 am »
    Looks pretty good so far.  It resembles and old Merovingian axe head in the British Museum collection. 
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #78 on: November 07, 2016, 07:24:44 pm »
     :zombie :zombie :zombie Bringing this back.
    Just finished up this skinner blade today. I have it clamped up while the epoxy dries overnight. Tomorrow is drilling and pinning. Just got an order for another one and quoted $200. So I guess I'll be on the hammer for another few days...

This one is three layers of 1" steel choker cable with 2 layers of 1095 (Extremely high carbon steel). All forge welded up.

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #79 on: November 07, 2016, 10:23:32 pm »
    Nice shape for a working blade.   :thumbup   Looks like about 8" - 9" overall length? 
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #80 on: November 08, 2016, 11:08:17 am »
    Nice shape for a working blade.   :thumbup   Looks like about 8" - 9" overall length?
    I haven't actually measured it, but that sounds about right. Maybe a little more because of the spike on the end of the antler. I designed it as a skinner, so no point was needed nor desired. The damn thing will cut you just looking at it. I set the angle of the blade back like this so skinning with s forehand or traditional technique would be equally comfortable. There are some minor flaws in fit and finish, so this one is staying with me, but after posting a pic of the blade to FB yesterday, I got an order for one inside of 10 minutes. Guess I need to get out to the forge, I have $200 to make....

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement