Username: Password:

Author Topic: ATF 29P - Suppressor marking locations  (Read 2927 times)

Thernlund

• Administrator
  • AZGO Founder
ATF 29P - Suppressor marking locations
« on: May 03, 2016, 06:20:47 pm »
From TFB.  Too much to paste and format, check out the link...

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/05/03/breaking-news-atf-29p-proposal-change-silencer-marking-locations/

Basically, the ATF has a proposal to change/clarify the rules as to where a suppressor can be marked.  Right now the tube or end cap is allowed.  It seems this rule would permit only the tube to be marked.

This apparently stems from a petition submitted in 2008 by an organization called "National Firearms Act Trade and Collectors Association (NFATCA)"

Am I the only one wondering why a so named organization would submit such a petition?   :saywhat

-T.

EDIT:  Apparently there are some heavy hitters on the NFATCA Board...

http://www.nfatca.org/about.htm

I'm baffled (no pun intended).
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 06:24:48 pm by Thernlund »

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

870policemag

• Administrator
    Re: ATF 29P - Suppressor marking locations
    « Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 06:43:58 pm »
    I guess now would be a good time to buy a registered oil filter suppressor end cap.
    « Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 08:40:25 pm by 870policemag »
    Bullets are the only things that do their job only after they're fired.

ItWasntMe

• Known Agitator
    • Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 08:29:27 pm »
    This is pointless. Serializing the end-cap is really just a good move some manufacturers have decided to do for various reasons (they commonly cite durability). You're much, much more likely to get a baffle strike or something catastrophic further down the line than right at the attachment point.

My conspiracy hat says this was originally to target oil-filter suppressors by mainstream suppressor manufacturers that existed in 2008. Now they want to put the cat back in the bag and pretend none of this ever happened.
    « Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 08:32:45 pm by ItWasntMe »
    Have you considered the possibility that pathological narcissism is genetic?

6.5 Gunner

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 08:31:50 pm »
    That's probably the point. Contrary to popular belief the ATF isn't as stupid as we think/wish they were, they know how to screw us six ways to sunday.

ItWasntMe

• Known Agitator
    • Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 08:35:53 pm »
    It also bites them in the rear-end with the new fad of modular suppressors like the AAC TiRant M, SilencerCo Hybrid and the Griffin Armament Optimus (there's likely others) so they'd rather pretend the request never was sent.
    Have you considered the possibility that pathological narcissism is genetic?

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 11:08:05 pm »
    ^^ That.

-T.

anm2_man

• Contributor
    « Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 07:08:32 am »
    From TFB.  Too much to paste and format, check out the link...

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/05/03/breaking-news-atf-29p-proposal-change-silencer-marking-locations/

Basically, the ATF has a proposal to change/clarify the rules as to where a suppressor can be marked.  Right now the tube or end cap is allowed.  It seems this rule would permit only the tube to be marked.

This apparently stems from a petition submitted in 2008 by an organization called "National Firearms Act Trade and Collectors Association (NFATCA)"

Am I the only one wondering why a so named organization would submit such a petition?   :saywhat

-T.

EDIT:  Apparently there are some heavy hitters on the NFATCA Board...

http://www.nfatca.org/about.htm

I'm baffled (no pun intended).

They are definitely not friends of NFA owners.  You can also thank them for 41p !  More info here https://blog.princelaw.com/2016/05/03/nfatca-prompts-atf-to-enter-into-rulemaking-again-now-regarding-silencer-engravings/

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around, and smart people are reloading."

mingheemouse

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 08:02:40 pm »
    Guess who I am going to talk to in Louisville, if they aren't too chicken to be in their booth by the time I get to the floor of the NRA convention on Saturday. I will be at the 19th Annual Firearms Law Seminar getting my 8 CLE units on Friday, and will encourage some of the other firearms rights lawyers at the seminar to pay them a visit as well.

Well, you know where they will be. I expect a few fun YouTube videos based on the many friendly and informative interactions everyone will be having with these folks based on respectful mutual disagreement.

-- From their Facebook page --

National Firearms Act Trade & Collectors Association (NFATCA)
    April 23 at 5:45am ·
    Planning on attending the NRA Annual Meeting in Louisville (May 20 - 22)? Please stop by the NFATCA booth #3117 and say hi!

anm2_man

• Contributor
    « Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 03:56:28 pm »
    Guess who I am going to talk to in Louisville, if they aren't too chicken to be in their booth by the time I get to the floor of the NRA convention on Saturday. I will be at the 19th Annual Firearms Law Seminar getting my 8 CLE units on Friday, and will encourage some of the other firearms rights lawyers at the seminar to pay them a visit as well.

Well, you know where they will be. I expect a few fun YouTube videos based on the many friendly and informative interactions everyone will be having with these folks based on respectful mutual disagreement.

-- From their Facebook page --

National Firearms Act Trade & Collectors Association (NFATCA)
    April 23 at 5:45am ·
    Planning on attending the NRA Annual Meeting in Louisville (May 20 - 22)? Please stop by the NFATCA booth #3117 and say hi!

Well give them HELL !  Since they started, every effort seemed to end with more restrictions. 
    "Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around, and smart people are reloading."

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 03:58:30 pm »
    So are these guys anti-gunners in disguise?  Given who's on the board I find that hard to believe.

Or are they just trying to keep the prices high on their "investments"?

-T.

anm2_man

• Contributor
    « Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 04:13:34 pm »
    So are these guys anti-gunners in disguise?  Given who's on the board I find that hard to believe.

Or are they just trying to keep the prices high on their "investments"?

-T.

NO - they are not anti-gunners, they are just trying to be Relevant.  They want to represent all NFA manufactures + NFA owners.  But it seems that when they propose a change, NFA owners current and in the future take in the shorts.

JMHO

PS: When NFATCA started up, alot of manufactures from big guys to little guys signed up, because they wanted protection from BATF.  Unfortunately, when you stir up the hornets nest (Even though your buddy buddy with the director of BATF), you can get burned.  Thats why Brown is in the position he is in. 

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement