Username: Password:

Author Topic: DIY reloading bench and tips  (Read 15799 times)

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
  • eccentric orbit
Re: DIY reloading bench and tips
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2016, 12:15:45 pm »
Don't go with a small one.   It will never get it cool.  Remember most garages are not insulated and require more BTU's to get it, and keep it cool for however long you are in there. 

Its not that difficult to do other than the electric unless you can position the unit close to an existing outlet.
This ^  .  You will need a lot of BTU's to get an uninsulated garage cooled down.  Depending on the size and position of your garage it could easily take 12,000 - 15,000 to make it comfortable.   Ideally you would want to turn the unit on at three or four in the morning ( probably on a timer ) and let it cool down over a couple of hours so its comfortable for your activities early in the morning.   That would work especially well if your garage is on the west side of the house and doesn't get morning sun.  From what I remember your garage faces north but I don't recall which side of the house its on. 
" A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                              Benjamin Franklin

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

Cyris

• Beer and Bullets
    « Reply #51 on: July 07, 2016, 12:21:30 pm »
    You can insulate the garage door, that will help a bunch too. I posted pictures on a thread here somewhere of mine. Pretty simple to do, and mine gets sun pretty heavy in the afternoon. My garage has a mini-split AC unit, which keeps it pretty cool when I run it. I thought I was a genius when I mounted my press in front of it (not that I had many other options at the time). I will say, having cold AC blowing on you from 2' away is great for about 30 seconds. Does not matter how hot my garage is, the cold air in the face will freeze my ears and nose.
    .:Cyris

If you want to protect your Right to Keep and Bear Arms in Arizona, then you want to join the Arizona Citizens Defense League (AzCDL)

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #52 on: July 07, 2016, 12:31:16 pm »
    c-r-r was right about the scales though -  not something that benefits from either breezes or a lot of electronic noise.  I've seen where some guys run theirs beneath a clear plastic housing to avoid exactly those problems. 
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #53 on: July 07, 2016, 01:11:01 pm »
    Don't go with a small one.   It will never get it cool.  Remember most garages are not insulated and require more BTU's to get it, and keep it cool for however long you are in there. 

Its not that difficult to do other than the electric unless you can position the unit close to an existing outlet.

I meant small in a relative sense.  I'm not putting a full-blown central air system out there or anything.  But I'm not going to put a tiny portable one out there either.  Something like in your pic is what I meant.

I'd also try to beef up the insulation just a little bit.

-T.

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #54 on: July 07, 2016, 01:12:22 pm »
    From what I remember your garage faces north but I don't recall which side of the house its on. 

Faces north, on the east side of the house.

-T.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement