Username: Password:

Author Topic: I'd Like to Build Something  (Read 5548 times)

rfriedman5

I'd Like to Build Something
« on: July 28, 2016, 11:20:04 am »
I have been thinking about building an AR rifle, but I have a lot of reservations. Give me your thoughts.

First of all, I am fairly new to shooting. I can barely reassemble my guns after cleaning. I had to ask a buddy to put my Ruger 10-22 rifle back together. But I can take all the time I need on the project. The guys who want to sell the parts say it is not difficult. A few people who have built their own, say it can be very difficult.

Maybe I ought to start with something simpler. (I will also have to buy most of the tools I will need.) I have no ability to machine metal. I just want to assemble the thing.
But I love messing with guns in any manner so I am eager to try to build something.

I forgot to mention that when I mounted the scope on the 10-22 I got that wrong too.

I don’t think I’m stupid; I’m just not good with my hands.

What do you think?

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    Re: I'd Like to Build Something
    « Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 11:28:12 am »
    I've built 10/22s from parts and ARs from parts. IMO, the AR is a little harder, but both are very rewarding. The AR will be cheaper, since if you decide to build a 10/22, you'll want to go all out to make the expense and time worth it. There are plenty of youtube videos showing full AR builds. It would be fairly difficult to screw it up I think
    Heat it till it's hot, then beat it with a hammer until it's the shape you want.    Blacksmith's advice that works for pretty much everything in life

AIM9X

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 11:48:46 am »
    Build an AR.  It's easy, and it will teach you valuable lessons about the operation of your gun.  It can be done by anyone with access to youtube and simple hand tools.  If you can change your oil, you can do this.  You can borrow the necessary (and unnecessary, but helpful) specialized tools (armorer's wrench, torque wrench, roll pin punch set, vice blocks, etc.). 

You can also build as much or as little as you want.  You could start with just assembly of the lower, which only requires a roll pin punch set, and then just buy a complete upper if you don't want to mess with upper assembly.  Heck, you could even buy a lower with an integrated trigger guard and  threaded screws for the bolt catch (see Quentin Defense in Gilbert), which eliminates the need to even drive roll pins.  Then it's a matter of just assembling everything else, which can be done completely by hand.

Rusty Young Man

• Open Carry advocate
    • "A Right unexercised is a Right lost."
    « Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 01:18:50 pm »
    If this guy could make an AK from a shovel (OH NO!! Assault shovel weapons!! :rotfl), then.... well, it should serve as inspiration for your build itch.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/179192-DIY-Shovel-AK-photo-tsunami-warning!

Recommend checking out some of his other builds. The guy is either a brilliant genius ("jenius", with a j, for short) or a crazy-awesome engineer-type with plenty of imagination left over from his childhood days. :-)

http://boris.build/
    “Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.”-- Frederic Bastiat

I carry for self defense, desensitizing, and educating. In that order.

rfriedman5

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 03:36:31 pm »
    Thank you for your advice and especially your encouragement. I'm going to start at Quenton Defense, I think, but  I will visit a few other gunshops, read, watch some videos, and probably ask for a lot of help, but I am excited at the idea. Now I also have to explain to my wife how much this will all cost.

pmanton

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 03:42:34 pm »
    Where are you at. If close to Salome I'll loan you the tools if you decide to assemble an AR 15
    Paul
    Salome

AIM9X

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 07:58:35 pm »
    Build an AR.  It's easy, and it will teach you valuable lessons about the operation of your gun.  It can be done by anyone with access to youtube and simple hand tools.  If you can change your oil, you can do this.  You can borrow the necessary (and unnecessary, but helpful) specialized tools (armorer's wrench, torque wrench, roll pin punch set, vice blocks, etc.). 

You can also build as much or as little as you want.  You could start with just assembly of the lower, which only requires a roll pin punch set, and then just buy a complete upper if you don't want to mess with upper assembly.  Heck, you could even buy a lower with an integrated trigger guard and  threaded screws for the bolt catch (see Quentin Defense in Gilbert), which eliminates the need to even drive roll pins.  Then it's a matter of just assembling everything else, which can be done completely by hand.

'course, no sooner do I say that, then https://arizonagunowners.com/index.php?topic=11573.msg144002;topicseen#msg144002

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
      • Immediate Action Tactics & Training Group
    « Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 08:23:21 pm »
    you could do a savage.....

when i get home I'm gonna look at a few pawn shops for a used savage, 300 bucks. get a criterion barrel for 300 -400 bucks and see what i can do with it for a budget hunting rifle
    NRA Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    Colt AR15 Certified Armorer
    GLOCK Armorer

grossekatz

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 07:25:36 am »
    If your not opposed to welding and grinding you could look at the building a Sten. Kits are cheap and almost all the "machining" can be done with a Dremel tool. It is one of the easiest  builds out there.

rfriedman5

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 07:40:02 am »
    In high school metal shop I was still learning to solder two pieces of wire while my classmates had moved on to building parts for their cars. But my two brothers in law own a welding shop and metal fabrication business and they will help me. I will take a look at the Sten. I can pick up a Dremel tool as well. Thanks.

rfriedman5

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2016, 07:47:22 am »
    Where are you at. If close to Salome I'll loan you the tools if you decide to assemble an AR 15
    Paul
    Salome
    Paul, that is very generous. Thank you. I live in Scottsdale about two hours from you. However, we drive to LA through Quartzsite which is only a few miles from Salome. Maybe, when I get to that point where I can make  good use of your tools, I will plan to spend day in your area and get what work done that I can. Once I get started--one of these days--I will check back with you. Thanks again. Ron

grossekatz

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2016, 07:54:53 am »
    http://www.indianapolisordnance.com/sten_mk3.html

These guys have pretty much everything you need to put one together.
     I am down in tempe, not too far from you if you want to check my pistol build out. I can walk you through the process.

rfriedman5

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2016, 09:05:01 am »
    http://www.indianapolisordnance.com/sten_mk3.html

These guys have pretty much everything you need to put one together.
     I am down in tempe, not too far from you if you want to check my pistol build out. I can walk you through the process.
    Yes, thank you. I have never done this before and no matter what I build, it will help to see what others have done. I will be in touch some time in the next few weeks to take you up on your offer. Ron

grossekatz

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2016, 02:08:36 pm »
    Sounds good, I have many different  builds I can share.

AHOLDUU

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2016, 08:24:08 pm »
    ARs are difficult but they are easy to learn.  There are literally hundreds of videos that will walk you through it and a lot of the guys on here have a TON of experience building them.  If you get stuck just ask.  I am really glad I got into building them because now when something breaks I can fix it.  You also get to know the weapon in and out.

qkarl

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2016, 09:36:14 pm »
    AR lowers are super easy to put together. Uppers are more complicated. I built my lower then bought a completed upper.

rfriedman5

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2016, 08:07:27 pm »
    I am ready to start preparations to build an AR rifle. So far I have a workbench, a vise with a thing ( I forgot what it is called) to fit in the vise and a multi-wrench tool. I have a set of punches ordered from Brownell.
    I will move slowly because I cannot afford to buy a lot at one time. I know I will buy a lower soon, but don’t  know anything about that yet. I ought to fill out my tool set first with decent tools, but I will never be a gunsmith so I am looking for the usual compromise between quality and cost. Several people have offered to let me use some tools, but I should mostly count on myself.
    What other basic tools will I need? Maybe I can buy one at a time.
    I guess I need a torque wrench.

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #17 on: July 31, 2016, 08:16:18 pm »
    what do you plan on using to secure the upper when installing the barrel?

any ideas on a gas block yet?
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    GLOCK Armorer

Jagen

• Why do I end up next to "that guy" at the range???
    « Reply #18 on: August 01, 2016, 08:09:51 am »
    My friend, the one piece if advice that I will add to this discussion is: DO NOT DO THIS BY YOURSELF.  I appreciate your candor with regard to your lack of experience and mechanical wherewithal and it's because of that honesty that I'm being equally honest.  Despite the multitude of videos available and other forms of online instruction, nothing will serve you better than having someone sit down with you at the bench and go through it step by step.  It's been my experience that no matter where you live, there will be one of us near you that will be happy to guide you, at your place for a six-pack and a pizza.  Not to worry, you'll do the actual work, but "that someone" will show you how to do it.  Nothing beats "hands on" instruction and I believe this would be the safest and most effective way of achieving your goal. 
    "Your mouthwash ain't makin' it."

rfriedman5

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2016, 08:38:57 am »
    what do you plan on using to secure the upper when installing the barrel?

any ideas on a gas block yet?
    Your questions put a spotlight on my biggest uncertainty. I don’t know the answers because I don’t know enough about an AR to know what I want. I suppose it is naïve to begin this way—in almost total ignorance—and hope that building the gun under good supervision from an experienced guy will help me make the choices at each step.
    The desire to build a gun grows out my fascination with the few guns I am familiar with and the desire to immerse myself in working on one. I don’t want to wind up with a $2000 gun, but if I don’t learn and get good guidance I could wind with an expensive piece of crap.
    I listed the tools I have to sort of laugh at myself. Buying a vise was easy. The rest looks like there will be plenty of challenges.

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #20 on: August 01, 2016, 08:40:41 am »
    what part of town you in?
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    GLOCK Armorer

rfriedman5

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2016, 08:44:06 am »
    My friend, the one piece if advice that I will add to this discussion is: DO NOT DO THIS BY YOURSELF.  I appreciate your candor with regard to your lack of experience and mechanical wherewithal and it's because of that honesty that I'm being equally honest.  Despite the multitude of videos available and other forms of online instruction, nothing will serve you better than having someone sit down with you at the bench and go through it step by step.  It's been my experience that no matter where you live, there will be one of us near you that will be happy to guide you, at your place for a six-pack and a pizza.  Not to worry, you'll do the actual work, but "that someone" will show you how to do it.  Nothing beats "hands on" instruction and I believe this would be the safest and most effective way of achieving your goal.

I appreciate the comments. It's taken me only a couple of days to realize what you say is true, at least for me. I've got a guy at a gun shop who is giving me guidance, but that is not the same as having someone at the bench guiding me. When I am a little clearer in my own mind abut what I building, I will find that kind of help.

rfriedman5

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2016, 08:45:15 am »
    what part of town you in?

AT Cactus and the 101 on the East Side.

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #23 on: August 01, 2016, 08:57:31 am »
    huh well.
    if you don't get something done by late sept your more then welcome to come up to PV or the shooting spot in cherry. we can do it all there.
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    GLOCK Armorer

rfriedman5

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2016, 09:51:34 am »
    huh well.
    if you don't get something done by late sept your more then welcome to come up to PV or the shooting spot in cherry. we can do it all there.
    That would be great. I will see what I get done and follow up with you. Thanks. Ron

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement