Username: Password:

Author Topic: Anyone ever visit Ruger?  (Read 6670 times)

Curmudgeon

Anyone ever visit Ruger?
« on: August 12, 2016, 09:04:14 am »
Have an SR9-C that needs looking at due to light primer strikes.

Called Ruger yesterday to arrange return.  Said he could mail me a shipping label.

Thought about it for a minute, and remembered that the wife and I planned to go to Jerome on Tuesday.  I asked if I could drop the gun off on the way.  "Sure" he said.

I know they say that they don't give factory tours.  But I was wondering about that?  Sometimes when you have reason to go to a place like that.such as to drop off something that needs repair, they offer to show you around.

Just wondering if anybody has has such an experience?

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

JesseL

• Sr. Contributor
      • Lambert Gunworks LLC
    Re: Anyone ever visit Ruger?
    « Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 09:56:49 am »
    When my SR9 was recalled I dropped it off at the factory.

They just had someone come out and take it from me in building entrance. There was a little display of various castings they've done. No tour.

There's a nice bronze statue outside, but it's otherwise pretty much like any large industrial facility. Not really much to look at.

Whathefff

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 04:12:50 pm »
    I've been there several times, they take the guns at the guard shed in front (front right corner as you pull in) where you wait for someone to come to you. They do not allow tours, they're pretty secretive and even bottom level employees have to sign a confidentiality agreement to work there. I ran into an entry level employee at the bar once right befor they unveiled their AR, we drank and talked a lot and all I could get out of him was something cool was coming soon.

bwareaware

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 05:52:24 pm »
    I did some repair work on the fire sprinklers in the plant. They gave me a badge and let me go just about everywhere in the plant. it was a great experience.

Arizonagunsmith

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 06:05:16 pm »
    Several years ago l interview for a Technician position and got the big grand tour but l understand they do not do that for just anyone.

Jon

Curmudgeon

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 03:49:00 pm »
    Dropped the gun off today.

What impressed me was the amount of cars in the lot.  Damn.  They employ a lot of people.

Yeah took a selfie by the statue  :-P

coyotesfan97

• Paws before boots!
    • Administrator
    « Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 10:02:43 pm »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.  Thucydides 471BC

"Hey!  Let's be careful out there." Sgt Phil Esterhaus played by Michael Conrad

Curmudgeon

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 07:32:26 pm »
    Here ya' go  :-P

FreeInAZ

• Sr. Contributor
    • Klingons never bluff. nottojtlhInganpu'.
    « Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 09:04:02 pm »
    Here ya' go  :-P
    Lol! It looks like the Bronco is trying to stomp you.
    Better to die on our feet than live on our knees! "The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable." -Sun Tzu

coyotesfan97

• Paws before boots!
    • Administrator
    « Reply #9 on: August 19, 2016, 09:46:35 pm »
    Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.  Thucydides 471BC

"Hey!  Let's be careful out there." Sgt Phil Esterhaus played by Michael Conrad

Seaweed02

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2016, 05:27:05 pm »
    Wow that is neat. Is Jerome close to Buckeye by any chance? I'll be moving there soon and would like to see the Ruger factory myself.

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #11 on: August 21, 2016, 06:05:04 pm »
    Not particularly.  Its something like a 2 hour drive.  Nice countryside though, if you like high desert. 
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

LuckyLeaky

• Administrator
    « Reply #12 on: August 21, 2016, 09:39:32 pm »
    Not particularly.  Its something like a 2 hour drive.  Nice countryside though, if you like high desert.
    and steep cliffs

FACE

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2016, 09:09:49 am »
    That's one hell of a selfie stick! 

Sent while driving, so?

In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.

Thomas Jefferson

Curmudgeon

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2016, 09:12:25 am »
    and steep cliffs

Yeah.  The drive from Prescott to Jerome was pretty wild.  Those 10 MPH switchbacks are really a trip.  My wife absolutely hates that stuff.

I thought old route 66 going into Oatman was something, but I think this was slightly more intense  :woot

Bishop112

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2016, 02:49:58 pm »
    Great drive! I Love mingus mountain.

N.M.Edmands

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2016, 03:31:03 pm »
    Do that drive in the passenger seat of a Z3 with a woman driving who thinks she's the reincarnation of Juan Fangio ! :'( :shocked
    Nat
    Politics is spherical; the only choice is which side of many to choose.
     But because politics is spherical there are only 2 sides--inside or outside.
     If I wish to maintain sanity I must choose outside.

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #17 on: August 23, 2016, 10:19:26 pm »
    Its way more fun in an old Jeep CJ with the top and the doors removed.  Add in a little body roll from the lift kit and its an E ticket ride from the passenger seat.    :popcorn   
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

FreeInAZ

• Sr. Contributor
    • Klingons never bluff. nottojtlhInganpu'.
    « Reply #18 on: August 23, 2016, 10:35:43 pm »
    Its way more fun in an old Jeep CJ with the top and the doors removed.  Add in a little body roll from the lift kit and its an E ticket ride from the passenger seat.    opcorn
    Doh!

« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 10:37:51 pm by FreeInAZ »
    Better to die on our feet than live on our knees! "The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable." -Sun Tzu

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #19 on: August 23, 2016, 11:18:26 pm »
    If it wasn't for the seat belt and the "Holy Sh*t!" bar they'd probably still be looking for my remains down the side of one of those slopes.   
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #20 on: August 23, 2016, 11:21:11 pm »
    Yeah.  The drive from Prescott to Jerome was pretty wild.  Those 10 MPH switchbacks are really a trip.  My wife absolutely hates that stuff.

I thought old route 66 going into Oatman was something, but I think this was slightly more intense  :woot
    I have driven damned near all over the western states in my life and I have to say that some of the nastiest stretches of road I have ever seen are right here in Arizona.   
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

JesseL

• Sr. Contributor
      • Lambert Gunworks LLC
    « Reply #21 on: August 24, 2016, 07:36:06 am »
    When I was a kid I'd race my motorcycle over that road almost every afternoon.

It's a miracle I'm still here.

N.M.Edmands

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2016, 08:24:15 am »
    I have driven damned near all over the western states in my life and I have to say that some of the nastiest stretches of road I have ever seen are right here in Arizona.
    Nastiest means 'funnest', right? Don't get me wrong but driving is like gun control-I'm only comfortable if I'm in control. After all, physics taught me that the shortest distance between points is sideways emerging from a cloud of tire smoke! :woot
    Nat
    Politics is spherical; the only choice is which side of many to choose.
     But because politics is spherical there are only 2 sides--inside or outside.
     If I wish to maintain sanity I must choose outside.

westie10019

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2016, 07:59:54 pm »
    I have been to the plant in Prescott, also to drop off a gun for repair. Its a run down metal building by the airport. The people are friendly and very helpful. The factory is a typical machine shop that's still in the 1900"s. Nothing to  see and they do not provide tours. I have been in Catapillar Plants and John Deer Plants, they are impressive and SUPER CLEAN! All the CAT plants are as clean as an operateing room, nothing but the most modern CNC machines and they have very few people on the floor.

The Kimber Plant is just like Ruger, old style machine shop and from the 1900's

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #24 on: August 25, 2016, 09:27:10 pm »
    Nastiest means 'funnest', right? Don't get me wrong but driving is like gun control-I'm only comfortable if I'm in control. After all, physics taught me that the shortest distance between points is sideways emerging from a cloud of tire smoke! :woot
    I think about all the "tire smoke" you'd be getting from some of the ones I'm thinking about would be brake related.    :hmm   When you start seeing signs the say "15 MPH next  1 1/2 miles " and  "No vehicles over 30' "  and "No Guard Rail "  ( actually that one was fairly obvious ), you begin to get the idea.

I'm as fond of pushing the envelope as the next guy but there's a limit to what you can get away with and still come here and brag about it.   ;-)
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement