Username: Password:

Author Topic: Are you ready?  (Read 8722 times)

Kronos

• Han shot first!
Re: Are you ready?
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2016, 12:33:54 am »
Plenty of politicians may have the ultimate goal of completely removing firearms from citizens' access, but they also know it would be infeasible and dangerous to attempt to do so overnight.
I think the curtailment of our constitutional rights is going to happen ... comparatively quickly (within the next 30 years or so), with the 2nd and 1st amendment rights being the first to go. 
Already happens. ... free speech zones ... GFZA 1000' limit ...
^ This was precisely my point.

I've heard a lot of gun owners comfort themselves by saying that total gun control a la Australia and the UK "wouldn't happen in America" because there would be "another Civil War".

But they assume that the gun control efforts would be in the form of a single law being passed that blatantly says "we're taking all your guns". Maryland and New Jersey never passed a bill that brought them from 'Constitutional carry' to 'assault weapons ban' and 'magazine capacity limits' overnight. The laws were placed and extended slowly over the course of several years, to the point where most people assumed "that's just how it's always been" and/or didn't think to complain until it was too late.

30 years may seem like a short amount of time to you, but it's long enough to keep most others being upset about - or even detecting - the changes in their rights.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid."

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

gilacr

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2016, 10:59:44 am »
    I don't think it will take 30 years. Just 8 years ago I would have said you were nuts that the military would accept transgender soldiers.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
     - Thomas Jefferson

ItWasntMe

• Known Agitator
    • Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #27 on: August 27, 2016, 11:14:27 am »
    [...] The folks rioting in Milwaukee, St. Louis, etc., don't have sufficient agency to cause major civil unrest. That said, they will continue to lash out and destroy things. These sorts of riots are going to be a permanent feature of social landscape going forward, but they will be limited in scale. [...]
    Well stated.
    Have you considered the possibility that pathological narcissism is genetic?

TNFrank61

• Contributor
    « Reply #28 on: August 27, 2016, 11:24:57 am »
    We can't even get folks to move out of California in order to regain their 2nd Amendment Rights, I really don't see the majority of Gun Owners picking up their weapons and marching on D.C. to keep their 2A Rights either and that's a very SAD Commentary on the State of Our Citizens today.
    Our Founding Fathers went to War over taxes and gun control but today most are too comfortable to lift a finger and even join the NRA or GOA to help fight the gun grabbers.  I don't see us moving forward for very long before they try Australian Style Gun Control here and except for a few hold outs(myself included) most will probably just roll over and turn in their guns which is Sad, very sad.  :-(
    Luke 22:36 (NIV)
    36 He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."

"The Second Amendment of our Bill of Rights is my Concealed Weapons Permit, period."
    - Ted Nugent

ItWasntMe

• Known Agitator
    • Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #29 on: August 27, 2016, 11:30:53 am »
    We can't even get folks to move out of California in order to regain their 2nd Amendment Rights [...]
    Telling people to just move isn't productive.
    Have you considered the possibility that pathological narcissism is genetic?

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #30 on: August 27, 2016, 06:28:30 pm »
    I don't think it will take 30 years. Just 8 years ago...

Eight years ago you had fewer 2A rights than you do now.

-T.

LuckyLeaky

• Administrator
    « Reply #31 on: August 27, 2016, 07:18:34 pm »
    17 years ago we werent allowed to have AR's

JK357

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2016, 08:57:07 pm »
    Uh really? I had a CAR-15  :whistle

JarheadAZ

• Contributor
      • Greg Langelius *
    « Reply #33 on: August 29, 2016, 07:17:20 am »
    When NY ordered all assault weapons to be registered, only about 15,000 out of the estimated 1,000,000+ complied (most of whom were state employees or a few sadly confused citizens). The rest just laid low, or jumped through some hoops to render their AR's etc., 'compliant'.

I did the latter. Since my Stag Super Varminter was already compliant without any muzzle device, I had the LGS replace the A2 Stock and Grip with the Thordsden compliant monstrosity http://www.thordsencustoms.com/frs-15-rifle-stock/frs-15-stock-kits/.

Thereafter, I purchased/assembled only uppers (how many guns can an individual fire at once anyway?), and they all have/had target crowns.

Actually, once you got past the appearance, it functioned well. Restoring the original parts will be high on the list of this Fall's agenda. I'm earmarking Election Day (after I vote) for that project.

The weaknesses of these various supposedly draconian restrictions were that:

Local NY Counties law enforcement (outside the 5 boroughs of NYC) went on record refusing to enforce them. The Imperial State's Governor threatened to remove the opposing Sheriffs from office, but later did nothing. Of course not, Il Duce Andrew Cuomo had never intended to enforce the law, he just wanted it on his record for a supposed Presidential run. Bumper stickers appeared with ABC (Anybody But Cuomo) and FUAC (I won't translate that one).

Only the State Police Top Management went on record as being in favor of the measures, while lower echelon LE confided that they would only do so when it would be an obvious infraction to ignore, or there was already evidence to support confiscation for a concurrent offense.

There will always be some who drank the Kool-Aide, but not that many exist among the rank and file.

A blatant escalation of the anti-gun restrictions on a wide scale would become a problem within the ranks well before it became all that effective out on the street. (Note the previous line is an opinion).

The point with these gun-hostile politicians is that they never envisioned a 'problem' they didn't believe could be resolved with legislation; and they seriously believed that people would obey, just because they were told to. Maybe that's changing. I say it will, if not one way, then another.

As for New York, folks gathered in small groups, worked out their approach, and ignored the NYSAFE Act in droves. It was unenforceable without a colossal enlargement of State Law Enforcement forces, and that state is already among the most highly taxed. This is the usual response of average folks to paranoid schizophrenia at the top of the food chain. (Top? Aren't the voters supposed to be at the top of that particular chain?)

New Yorkers aren't the problem, it's their government which has broken its promises and gone rogue. The politician have managed to twist their own thinking to place themselves in charge of the people, for their own good. They recognize no responsibility to obey the Constitution, or answer to anyone but themselves. Megalomania will do that to folks.

So will Judicial branches who serve masters instead of the law (Remember the episode of the Cox Sacker? http://tohell-andback.blogspot.com/2011/11/impeach-cox-sacker.html). A lot of equivocation and prevarication going on there, IMHO. Nobody thinks in such terms anymore these days, do they?

...And finally...; "Telling people to just move isn't productive". I can see the truth in this, but it did work for me. And while it has been considerably expensive, and getting up to speed is taking a long time, I'd do it again in a New York minute...

Greg
    « Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 08:19:42 am by JarheadAZ »
    Not lookin' to be in a gunfight, but if you find yourself mixed up in one, it might be kinda nice to have a gun...

"Faint heart never filled a flush" - Brett Maverick

Good marksmanship is no accident - JarheadNY

Kronos

• Han shot first!
    « Reply #34 on: August 29, 2016, 10:06:02 pm »
    Telling people to just move isn't productive.
    I can see the truth in this, but it did work for me. And while it has been considerably expensive, and getting up to speed is taking a long time, I'd do it again in a New York minute...

I think his point was that while it may fix things for you, the problem still exists for everyone else living there. They shouldn't have to move to another part of the United States in order to enjoy their Constitutionally-afforded freedoms. And with you gone, that's one less voter/activist/whatever that could potentially help to defend those freedoms.

Granted, I did the same thing when I moved from Baltimore... :whistle
    "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid."

JarheadAZ

• Contributor
      • Greg Langelius *
    « Reply #35 on: August 30, 2016, 10:31:00 am »
    Maybe you're right, but I had run out of patience waiting for anything at all on the subject to change. God helps those who help themselves is a true statement, but the grabbers are entrenched and immune to any grassroots efforts to level the playing field.

Insanity is defined as doing the same thing over and over again, with the expectation of a different outcome. I self diagnosed and took a more effective direction. One can tolerate a diet of monotonous frustration for only so long.

The NYSAFE Federal Lawsuit is not going anywhere, and even the NYSRPA President declared he was glad his own association's lawsuit was blocked, because there are better suits in the mix. That's not the voice of optimism as I hear it.

The folks in NY are screwed because there is literally nothing they can do to achieve a remedy themselves. This is what happens when one's Governor and Legislature are in Bloomberg's pocket. They openly mock NY Gun Owners. The Governor sneered and told NY Gun Owners that they are not wanted in his state, and that they should leave. I think he's right on that.

NY State is listed by the NRA as the 50th least gun friendly state, with DC being 51st. Arizona is listed as being the #1 most friendly state. I feel zero guilt about not staying and sliding all the way down the drain despite every effort of the population to remedy their problems.

In NY State, democracy has clearly shown itself to be a failed experiment.

Greg
    « Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 10:45:05 am by JarheadAZ »
    Not lookin' to be in a gunfight, but if you find yourself mixed up in one, it might be kinda nice to have a gun...

"Faint heart never filled a flush" - Brett Maverick

Good marksmanship is no accident - JarheadNY

armoredman

• Contributor
    « Reply #36 on: August 30, 2016, 10:44:55 am »
    ATFE apparently changed definitions of a primary component of small arms propellant, changing they way it must be stored, transported and be accounted for, which was apparently never put up for debate or comment, merely announced in an industry news letter. Anyone else hear about this? According to this one report, it means every ammunition and powder maker in the US is in violation of federal law right now.

http://www.ammoland.com/2016/08/atf-reclassifies-wetted-nitrocellulose-as-explosive-materials-under-federal-laws/#axzz4Ikveu3Mq

Kronos

• Han shot first!
    « Reply #37 on: August 30, 2016, 09:10:07 pm »
    Maybe you're right, but I had run out of patience waiting for anything at all on the subject to change. ... I feel zero guilt about not staying and sliding all the way down the drain despite every effort of the population to remedy their problems.

I feel you. Like I said, I did the same thing moving out here. Before that, I lived in Baltimore (#44 on that list) and worked in DC (#51). I'm glad I did it - I like AZ more as a whole, anyway - but the issue still arises whenever I want to go back and visit family or friends on the east coast.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement