Username: Password:

Author Topic: Hell or High Water  (Read 2563 times)

louie the lumberjack

Hell or High Water
« on: August 26, 2016, 02:25:47 pm »
The wife and I were going to go see Ben Hur a couple nights ago.  I wasn't too excited to see it to begin with and she got turned off it once she started reading the reviews.  For you Heston fans out there the reviews aren't positive and we saw Hell or High Water instead.

Its an independent film so it isn't playing at all theaters.  It is about two brothers who rob a number of banks in West Texas to pay off farm debts.  The protagonists are semi-likable and Jeff Bridges steals the show by practically playing Rooster Cogburn over again as a Texas Ranger.  I only bring it up here because due to the setting concealed carry as a concept comes up once near the beginning and is used as a plot device later in the film.  I think they were remarkably neutral in it's portrayal.  I would recommend it.

louie the lumberjack
"Can I ad hominem the shit out of him now???

Please say yes....please say yes" - LuckyLeaky

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

Kronos

• Han shot first!
    Re: Hell or High Water
    « Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 01:15:17 am »
    Interesting. I saw the trailer a while back and have wanted to see the film. Maybe I'll catch it this weekend.

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid."

brandyspaw

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 08:47:44 am »
    Excellent choice over another Hollyweird remake of Ben Hur.  Those people won't ever take the chance of making many original films so they keep recycling older ideas and, other than better special effects, crank out crap.

It seems its only the independent film makers that turn out quality, original work these days. That Hell or High Water film looks pretty damn good.
    Its on my list now.
    "When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    Thomas Jefferson

"Most of my money has gone for guns, cars and guitars.  The rest I just wasted."

Kronos

• Han shot first!
    « Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 10:04:39 pm »
    I did end up seeing it this past weekend, and I was not disappointed. :thumbup Great characters and dialogue, and I loved the establishing shots of the middle-of-nowhere-midwest. A little bit of social commentary was thrown in for comedic effect, too. Definitely worth my money, and I don't say that often.
    "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid."

JoeLab

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 12:12:22 pm »
    Looks great from the trailer, happy to see it is playing at my local theater.. Will have to check it out this weekend, Ben Foster is a pretty good actor in my book as well.

JoeLab

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 09:34:49 pm »
    Actually saw this tonight, great movie. A breath of fresh air from the nonstop Hollywood action remakes.

Thank you for the recommendation  :thumbup

Sanguine

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 10:19:58 pm »
    My wife bought us tickets on Wednesday. We see it tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

Sanguine

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 02:10:31 pm »
    Excellent movie. I recommend it.

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 10:53:56 pm »
    We saw it Saturday.  Fantastic movie.  I'd be surprised if it didn't at least get an Oscar nom, if not a win or two.

-T.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement