Username: Password:

Author Topic: ARS approved no carry signs for liquor establishments only?  (Read 2819 times)

monster

ARS approved no carry signs for liquor establishments only?
« on: August 26, 2016, 11:01:45 pm »
I went to the zoo today and noticed a sign posted citing the ARS code linked below, upon reading the ARS statue it seems as if it applies to places that sell alcohol, and didn't notice any place to buy alcohol in the zoo. Am I missing something or does this statue only apply to liquor establishments?

http://www.azleg.gov/ars/4/00229.htm

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

freeman1685

• Contributor
    Re: ARS approved no carry signs for liquor establishments only?
    « Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 11:47:09 pm »
    ARS title 4 is the liquor code, and only applies to establishments that serve alcohol.
    The Zoo, however, is a "public" place covered under Title 13.3102.10.  While the sign may be the one prescribed under 4.229 it may still be valid as a properly posted prohibition.  I say  "may" because that's one I am not positive about.  Keeping in mind, that under 4.229, in order for that sign to be valid, it must be posted immediately adjacent to a valid liquor license of an "on sale" establishment.  Tread lightly.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education or by legislation.  Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid.  But stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death, there is no appeal, and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.  RAH

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 06:56:07 pm »
    The Phoenix Zoo (if that's the zoo we're talking about) does have a bar-class liquor license.

http://www.azliquor.gov/query/results_licenseNumber.cfm?licensenumber=06070384&mystatus=active

-T.

coyotesfan97

• Paws before boots!
    • Administrator
    « Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 11:11:28 pm »
    From their website....

What items are prohibited at the Zoo?
    Prohibited items include alcohol, glass, balloons, balls, Frisbees, radios, whistles, musical instruments and other sound producing devices that may disturb our animals or other guests, hoverboards, skateboards, scooters, smart trikes, roller blades, bikes, roller skates, rip-sticks, wheeled shoes (heelie-type), Segways, firearms, weapons, knives and toy weapons.
    Smoking, electronic cigarettes, and bare feet are also prohibited.
    The Phoenix Zoo reserves the right to adjust this policy for Zoo sanctioned events
    The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.  Thucydides 471BC

"Hey!  Let's be careful out there." Sgt Phil Esterhaus played by Michael Conrad

armoredman

• Contributor
    « Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 09:34:24 pm »
    I saw that same exact sign at the nursing home my wife was doing surgical recovery in last year. I asked when happy hour was, and they could not figure out what I was talking about.

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 09:14:06 am »
    ....The Zoo, however, is a "public" place...
    If referring to the PHX zoo...not quite. The PHX zoo is privately owned, and funded entirely through admission and donations. Private property, any sign would be reasonable request.
    Heat it till it's hot, then beat it with a hammer until it's the shape you want.    Blacksmith's advice that works for pretty much everything in life

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 05:09:37 pm »
    The Phoenix Zoo did get some tax-payer money about 10 or so years ago via a bond election I think.  But I'm not sure if that matters for the purposes of this discussion.  Indeed the Phoenix Zoo is still privately-owned.  If they were a publicly-owned entity I'm pretty sure they'd have to have secure storage on site.

I feel like it's worth preempting the trespassing angle at this point.  The 'sign' law reads in such a way that they have to ask you to leave (4-229.C.1) before it's actual trespassing, which is going to be true both with and without a proper ARS-compliant sign. It's not automatic trespassing. 

The 'sign' law was really just a warm-and-fuzzy measure.  It didn't actually change anything except to add an extra tool to the CA's toolbox if you decide you want to get squirrelly.

-T.

freeman1685

• Contributor
    « Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 01:38:24 am »
    If referring to the PHX zoo...not quite. The PHX zoo is privately owned, and funded entirely through admission and donations. Private property, any sign would be reasonable request.
    OK, I was always under the impression that the PHX Zoo was city property, like Sky Harbor.  My bad.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education or by legislation.  Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid.  But stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death, there is no appeal, and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.  RAH

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement