Username: Password:

Author Topic: DIY "tritium" paint?  (Read 5160 times)

Mooncruiser

DIY "tritium" paint?
« on: September 18, 2012, 12:13:14 PM »
Okay, I'm pretty sure I can't get tritium without a help-along by the DOE, but has anyone had success with a luminescent paint for night sights? I use a white enamel paint pen, and it's okay but I'm thinking glow in the dark here..

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
Re: DIY "tritium" paint?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 11:57:54 PM »
Haven't tried it myself but,  www.siteglo.com   or similarly,  www.glow-on.com
"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness.  Bad manners.  Lack of consideration for others in minor matters.  A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot."

Robert A. Heinlein,  "Friday"

Flash

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 07:28:22 AM »
I tried these http://www.nitesiters.com/Nitesiters_Handgun_Night_Sights.html a few years back.  They didn't hold their luminescence worth a darn.  Half an hour and they were dark.  I ended up giving most of them away to a guy who wanted to try them.  I imagine paint would be the same.

What you can do, though, is buy small vials full of tritium and perhaps drill a hole to insert them in?

Flash

Mooncruiser

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 10:37:45 AM »
Just sent an order to Siteglo. I don't believe you can get tritium on the open market, but I could be wrong. Tritium us used as a trigger/boost component in nuclear weapons.. :ohmy

Thernlund

• Administrator
    Arm yourself because no one else here will save you.  The odds will betray you, and I will replace you...

Flash

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 06:15:01 AM »
There you go.  I knew I'd seen guys selling it.

Flash

Mooncruiser

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 02:43:39 PM »
I stand corrected, sirs.
I wonder if there's a hazmat shipping restriction?

Thernlund

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 02:53:16 PM »
From reading the comments associated with that listing, I don't think so.  The guy is apparently based in the UK someplace, but nobody in the US seems to have any issues getting them.

-T.
    Arm yourself because no one else here will save you.  The odds will betray you, and I will replace you...

martian

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 01:53:20 PM »
Hhhhhmmmmmm U.K. ......Tritium.......

Let us know if this works, I'd be willing to give it a try
The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. -Thomas Jefferson