Username: Password:

Author Topic: DIY "tritium" paint?  (Read 6799 times)

Mooncruiser

DIY "tritium" paint?
« on: September 18, 2012, 12:13:14 PM »
Okay, I'm pretty sure I can't get tritium without a help-along by the DOE, but has anyone had success with a luminescent paint for night sights? I use a white enamel paint pen, and it's okay but I'm thinking glow in the dark here..

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
Re: DIY "tritium" paint?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 11:57:54 PM »
Haven't tried it myself but,  www.siteglo.com   or similarly,  www.glow-on.com
"Bear in mind that brains and learning, like muscle and physical skill, are articles of commerce.   They are bought and sold.  You can hire them by the year or by the hour.  The only thing in the world not for sale is character." 
                  U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia

Flash

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 07:28:22 AM »
I tried these http://www.nitesiters.com/Nitesiters_Handgun_Night_Sights.html a few years back.  They didn't hold their luminescence worth a darn.  Half an hour and they were dark.  I ended up giving most of them away to a guy who wanted to try them.  I imagine paint would be the same.

What you can do, though, is buy small vials full of tritium and perhaps drill a hole to insert them in?

Flash

Mooncruiser

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 10:37:45 AM »
Just sent an order to Siteglo. I don't believe you can get tritium on the open market, but I could be wrong. Tritium us used as a trigger/boost component in nuclear weapons.. :ohmy

Thernlund

• Administrator
    The views expressed in this post are personal views only and not those of AZGO.  AZGO doesn't have views.  It's a piece of software.

Flash

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 06:15:01 AM »
There you go.  I knew I'd seen guys selling it.

Flash

Mooncruiser

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 02:43:39 PM »
I stand corrected, sirs.
I wonder if there's a hazmat shipping restriction?

Thernlund

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 02:53:16 PM »
From reading the comments associated with that listing, I don't think so.  The guy is apparently based in the UK someplace, but nobody in the US seems to have any issues getting them.

-T.
    The views expressed in this post are personal views only and not those of AZGO.  AZGO doesn't have views.  It's a piece of software.

martian

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 01:53:20 PM »
Hhhhhmmmmmm U.K. ......Tritium.......

Let us know if this works, I'd be willing to give it a try
The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. -Thomas Jefferson