Username: Password:

Author Topic: Tumbling Media and Additives  (Read 5267 times)

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
Tumbling Media and Additives
« on: November 20, 2012, 04:41:20 pm »
I am just wondering what you use for media and what you add to it. I currently use corncob and nu finish, but will be switching to stainless steel pins in January.   Has anyone considered using Fast Orange hand cleaner in their media? It has pumice and citric acid... Could be Ideal for really cruddy brass in walnut, then put a high shine on it with clean corn cob...
Heat it till it's hot, then beat it with a hammer until it's the shape you want.    Blacksmith's advice that works for pretty much everything in life

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

ItWasntMe

• Known Agitator
    • Sr. Contributor
    Re: Tumbling Media and Additives
    « Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 05:15:54 pm »
    Right now I am using Lyman Tuffnut (the green kind). I've considered finding some cheap alternatives online in bulk. I've had mixed results with sonic cleaner. In fact, I'm not fond of citric acid because the stuff ate through its container and spilled onto the reloading bench that I built myself, and of course it being acid it ate through the finish and took quite a bit of the wood stain with it before I got back from my 3 week vacation. Left a hell of a mess. So it will be tumbling entirely for me for a while.

I've looked into something like this before:
    DrillSpot: $34 (free delivery), 40 Lbs, Corn Cob, 14/20 Grit
    DrillSpot: $35 (free delivery), 40 Lbs, Corn Cob, 20/40 Grit

40 lb rather than 3 lb for same price sounds like a great deal.
    « Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 05:24:36 pm by ItWasntMe »
    Have you considered the possibility that pathological narcissism is genetic?

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 05:25:39 pm »
    the 20/40 is small enough to not get caught in primer pockets or flash holes. You could try Zilla lizard litter too. It's walnut ground small like that. Nu finish car polish is a cheap additive alternative
    Heat it till it's hot, then beat it with a hammer until it's the shape you want.    Blacksmith's advice that works for pretty much everything in life

ItWasntMe

• Known Agitator
    • Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 05:27:27 pm »
    the 20/40 is small enough to not get caught in primer pockets or flash holes. You could try Zilla lizard litter too. It's walnut ground small like that. Nu finish car polish is a cheap additive alternative
    People have also suggested other types of litter in bulk as alternatives. Not as cheap.

What is your stainless steel pin setup you are switching to? Links? Cost? What tumbler. I think most people I've read using stainless media are using that ultra expensive Thumbler's Tumbler that rotates rather than vibrates.
    « Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 05:30:51 pm by ItWasntMe »

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 06:13:18 pm »
    that's the one, Stainless won't work in a vibratory tumbler, the media is too heavy. There are you tube vids of guys making their own tumblers, but I'm going to just suck it up and get the package deal. Here is the link

http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/stm-complete-package.html

You can sometimes find the thumlers on ebay for cheap, but it takes patience, and I figure I'll go with a new product with a warranty

ItWasntMe

• Known Agitator
    • Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 08:49:13 pm »
    http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/stm-complete-package.html
    What, no 40 lb model for you?  :rotfl

In any event, keep us updated and share any recipe's you use.

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 08:52:31 pm »
    I would TOTALLY get that 40# model, but the wife would make me sell one of my motorcycles, and that's NOT gonna happen :no :no

Flash

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 06:11:31 am »
    I got my last buy on media from Abrasives Unlimited in Phoenix.  I add a small amount of powdered jewelers rouge and NuFinish.

Only takes 1 hour to completely clean the brass.

ItWasntMe

• Known Agitator
    • Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 07:04:21 am »
    I got my last buy on media from Abrasives Unlimited in Phoenix.  I add a small amount of powdered jewelers rouge and NuFinish. Only takes 1 hour to completely clean the brass.
    What did you buy there and what was the price?

Black_water

• Contributor
    « Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 10:34:09 am »
    I got my last buy on media from Abrasives Unlimited in Phoenix.  I add a small amount of powdered jewelers rouge and NuFinish.

Is this one of those ultrasonic ones with liquid as media?

I don't reload yet, but I am starting to collect the items I need and I am really torn on what I want to go with with regard to brass cleaners.
    Eric Philips of Young Americans for Liberty summed up the law.

Obamacare will have the efficiency of the Postal Service, the sustainability of Social Security and the compassion of the IRS,” he said

Flash

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 11:44:23 am »
    I got my last buy on media from Abrasives Unlimited in Phoenix.  I add a small amount of powdered jewelers rouge and NuFinish. Only takes 1 hour to completely clean the brass.
    What did you buy there and what was the price?

I got 50 pounds of 18/40 Walnut and it was $22.50.

Flash

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 11:45:37 am »

Is this one of those ultrasonic ones with liquid as media?

I don't reload yet, but I am starting to collect the items I need and I am really torn on what I want to go with with regard to brass cleaners.

No, I have an ultrasonic that I've had for around 15 years or so...since 'way before the current craze.  I only use it for cleaning parts, not brass.

I use a Dillon CV-500 vibratory cleaner for brass.  It's the forerunner to the current CV-750.

AZCarebear

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 05:25:22 pm »
    just getting started in reloading. How much NuFinish do you use? Thanks for the info.
    "IN GOD WE TRUST"

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 08:20:47 pm »
    Just a cap full or two. Run just the media and the nu finish for 30 minutes or so to get it mixed in well, then add your brass and rock and roll. I only add a cap every 3 or 4 batches after that. more isn't always better. I use a tbls or so of mineral spirits every once in a while to freshen up the media (it draws the nu finish out of the media and re wets it). I also use a cut up USED dryer sheet in my walnut media to reduce dust.
    YMMV

Flash

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 06:01:08 am »
    I let the NuFinish run for around 2 or 3 minutes, and I add 2 dryer sheets (used) cut in half.

AZCarebear

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2012, 11:10:05 am »
    Thanks ofr the info
    "IN GOD WE TRUST"

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement