Username: Password:

Author Topic: AZ Constitution Has Reach!  (Read 4003 times)

Dragoon6

• "Lord Make Me Fast and Accurate..."
AZ Constitution Has Reach!
« on: December 15, 2012, 10:34:34 am »
Not sure if you guys know this or not, or even if it applies to you or if you even care; my old home state of OK has now legalized open carry (with a license mind you, like CCW).  So you probably wonder what the hell this has to do with AZ?  Well OK now honors our Constitutional Carry, meaning if you want to CCW in OK then all you need to have on you is you AZ state issued ID!!  How cool is that!?!?  Just thought you all might want to know if you happen to be pass'in through.
A Snider squibbed in the jungle,
Somebody laughed and fled,
And the men of the First Shikaris
Picked up their Subaltern dead,
With a big blue mark in his forehead
And the back blown out of his head.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

ItWasntMe

• Known Agitator
    • Sr. Contributor
    Re: AZ Constitution Has Reach!
    « Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 10:46:43 am »
    Sweet. Good news. I'll check the reciprocity page.

Edit: Looks like they don't have a table like Arizona does. Might have to look deeper. Link source? AZDPS says Oklahoma honors AZ CCW without a written agreement. Is this now a written agreement?

http://www.azdps.gov/services/concealed_weapons/reciprocity/
    http://www.ok.gov/osbi/Handgun_Licensing/Reciprocity/

All I have found is:
    http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=69809
    Version 2 (as amended by Laws 2012, SB 1733, c. 259, ยง 44, eff. November 1, 2012)

RECIPROCAL AGREEMENT AUTHORITY

The State of Oklahoma hereby recognizes any valid concealed or unconcealed carry weapons permit or license issued by another state.

Any person entering this state in possession of a firearm authorized for concealed or unconcealed carry upon the authority and license of another state is authorized to continue to carry a concealed or unconcealed firearm and license in this state; provided the license from the other state remains valid. The firearm must either be carried unconcealed or concealed from detection and view, and upon coming in contact with any peace officer of this state, the person must disclose the fact that he or she is in possession of a concealed or unconcealed firearm pursuant to a valid concealed or unconcealed carry weapons permit or license issued in another state. Any person who is twenty-one (21) years of age or older having a valid firearm license from another state may apply for a handgun license in this state immediately upon establishing a residence in this state.
    « Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 10:50:12 am by ItWasntMe »
    Have you considered the possibility that pathological narcissism is genetic?

RugerDave

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 10:57:28 am »
    At least a little good news for this week. Between this and Illinois, hopefully it'll spread.

Dragoon6

• "Lord Make Me Fast and Accurate..."
    « Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 11:04:50 am »
    Here is an excerpt..

B.  Any person entering this state in possession of a firearm authorized for concealed carry upon the
    authority of a state that is a non-permitted carry state and the person is in compliance with the Oklahoma Self Defense Act, the person is authorized to carry a concealed firearm in this state.  The firearm must be carried
    fully concealed from detection and view, and upon coming in contact with any peace officer of this state, the
    person must disclose the fact that he or she is in possession of a concealed firearm pursuant to the
    non=permitting laws of the state in which he or she is a legal resident.  The person shall present proper
    identification by a valid photo ID as proof that he or she is a legal resident in such a non-permitting state. 
    The Department of Public Safety shall keep a current list of non-permitting states for law enforcement
    officers to confirm that a state is non-permitting.

and the link....PDF opens up, just click on the state:   http://www.handgunlaw.us/

A Snider squibbed in the jungle,
    Somebody laughed and fled,
    And the men of the First Shikaris
    Picked up their Subaltern dead,
    With a big blue mark in his forehead
    And the back blown out of his head.

SurpShot

• Proud Defender of History's Patriots
    « Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 11:16:42 am »
    Don't know if I'll ever be in OK but two thumbs up for the victory!  :thumbsup
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    - George Washington

RugerDave

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 11:21:14 am »
    Don't know if I'll ever be in OK but two thumbs up for the victory!  :thumbsup

:thumbsup           :yes     

+1

Wingman709

• This Xbox Life
    « Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 04:45:45 pm »
    I am going to show my ignorance here and ask what will probably be a really stupid question.  But oh well, I am a noob to the world of guns so no better way to find out your answers then by asking.

I am going to be traveling across the country soon by car.  I want to take my handgun with me but I am not a CCW permit holder in AZ.  I know that the law in AZ says I can CCW without a permit in the state.  But my understanding is that to CCW out of state, you need the CCW permit and you have to make sure that state you are in or traveling through recognize the AZ CCW Permit.  I have seen several links that show which states recognize permits, etc.

So now let me get to my question.  As I am not a permit holder in AZ, can I carry my handgun in its case in other states?  There seems to be lots of info about CCW carry in other states, but they don't seem to state specifically if I can have my handgun in my car while traveling even if its not within reach and locked up. 

I don't plan to open carry or CCW.  I want to take the handgun as my parents just bought a revolver and they want me to take them out to their range to learn how to shoot it (I know they did the entire thing backwards and I already scolded them about that) and would like to shoot my gun as well since it is not a revolver.  But I would hate to get pulled over for speeding or a burned out tail light and have a problem with an out of state cop discovering I had a gun in the car. 

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks everyone.  OH, and for the record, I will be taking some CCW classes in January and going after my AZ CCW to make things a bit easier in the future.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 05:04:15 pm »
    you'll need to check individual state laws. some states require your weapon to be unloaded and not accessible by the driver. some require separation of ammo from vicinity of weapon
    Heat it till it's hot, then beat it with a hammer until it's the shape you want.    Blacksmith's advice that works for pretty much everything in life

RugerDave

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 05:34:41 pm »
    Yes, more than likely you will need a CCW issued by your home state to be "legal". It's just their way of knowing you went through a background check and are not a prohibited possessor. I live across the river for Nevada, I can almost throw a rock from my house and it'll land in Nevada. They require Arizona residents to posses a CCW, if not you are in violation of the law and may be committing a felony. I was pulled over by Laughlin Police and informed the officer I was armed as I handed my license, registration and CCW. All he did was ask where I kept my weapon and said keep it there don't reach for it and I'll be back. He came back handed me my info and I was on my way. Didn't even get a ticket. Kudos for Nevada law enforcement for being so professional and respecting my 2nd Amendment right.   ;D

brandyspaw

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 10:36:31 am »
    Thanks for the info.  Thats good to know.
    "When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    Thomas Jefferson

"Most of my money has gone for guns, cars and guitars.  The rest I just wasted."

Guy1az

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 11:02:15 am »
    Wingman whatever you do stay out of the state of Illinois.

Wingman709

• This Xbox Life
    AZ Constitution Has Reach!
    « Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 06:20:32 pm »
    I moved out of Illinois two years ago and will never go back.  Hated it there.  I will probably just leave it at home to avoid the hassle for now.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

NMPops

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 09:32:37 pm »
    Wingman,

In New Mexico, your car is an extension of your home, so yes you can carry your pistol, loaded in your car with no problem. You already know about Okla. so your halfway there!
    Retired NM LEO, US Army Veteran
    NRA Patron Life Member, AZCDL Member

RugerDave

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 08:04:31 am »
    A CCW is required for all out of state people carrying. I checked the DPS website.

capcyclone

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2012, 08:16:49 pm »
    A CCW is required for all out of state people carrying. I checked the DPS website.
    This^^^was my recollection as well.  Thanks for clarifying.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement