Username: Password:

Author Topic: Thinking about another revolver  (Read 10019 times)

Paver1055

• Carry everyday!
Thinking about another revolver
« on: December 24, 2012, 04:43:35 pm »
Ive been thinking about getting another revolver. I used to have a .357 with a 6" barrel. Any suggestions or thoughts? Caliber?

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

tknoll

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 04:46:33 pm »
    Just got a GP100 with a 6" barrel, they are very nice
    "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns!!!"

capcyclone

Re: Thinking about another revolver
    « Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 04:57:39 pm »
    I really like Ruger revolvers - though I understand those that love S&W revolvers.

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 05:00:06 pm »
    I have a few J-frames.  I also have a Colt Detective Special.  Love 'em.

My recommendation would be to find a gently used Smith J- or K-frame.

-T.

Black_water

• Contributor
    « Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 05:40:30 pm »
    Just got a GP100 with a 6" barrel, they are very nice

Good gun, I am looking for one of these in 4 inch, that or a Taurus.
    Eric Philips of Young Americans for Liberty summed up the law.

Obamacare will have the efficiency of the Postal Service, the sustainability of Social Security and the compassion of the IRS,” he said

RugerDave

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 06:08:59 pm »
    Try a Dardick 1500 or the 2000. LOL! Strange little design for a revolver. Took Tround rounds. Look it up on YouTube, it is interesting. 1500 was a 15 round revolver and the 2000 was the 20 round design. Very odd and ugly with too many problems

LOC

• Revolver Driver
    • Wish you were here...
    « Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 06:36:09 pm »
    First, let me start off by saying that I LOVE  :love your thinking PERIOD  :woot

I have an affinity for pre-lock, pre-MIM Smith & Wessons.  Like the saying goes, they just don't build 'em like they used to.  I'm always on the lookout for another S&W in .357.  For me, the ability to run two different calibers is a big plus.

I also like the feel of the L framed S&W's.  I won't touch anything -5 or later.  I just prefer to stick to No dashes through -4's.

If you want stainless with adjustable sights:  686
    If you want blued with adjustable sights:  586
    If you want stainless with fixed sights:  681
    If you want blued with fixed sights:  581

Quick note:  The 586 and 581's did come from the factory with a nickel finish as well.

All of these can be had primarily in 2 1/2", 4" 6" and 8" barrels.
    « Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 07:26:54 pm by LOC »
    Liberals always talk about the best of intentions.  Conservatives just make it happen.  - Andrew Wilkow

tknoll

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 07:01:45 pm »
    Good gun, I am looking for one of these in 4 inch, that or a Taurus.

I have a 4" blue Taurus 689, love it as well
    "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns!!!"

LOC

• Revolver Driver
    • Wish you were here...
    « Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 07:28:00 pm »
    I have a 4" blue Taurus 689, love it as well

Taurus makes a good piece.
    Liberals always talk about the best of intentions.  Conservatives just make it happen.  - Andrew Wilkow

Classictruckman

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 07:36:55 pm »
    Hunting, Plinking, or Defense?

I've owned Taurus, S&W, Ruger, H&R, and Cimarron.   

Had a Taurus 669 blow up on me, left me with a few confidence issues, but since then I picked up a Taurus 650 CIA stainless hammerless model thats reinstilled my confidence, a great concealed carry gun.   I also have a Taurus double action 9 shot model 94 in 22 LR, nice plinker.    Loved my S&W 650 stainless, in 45 long colt, although it did get loose over time.   

But my favorite is my Ruger GP 100 4" I'll never sell - I've owned it longer than any other handgun I have.   Its my favorite "pack gun" and I've taken a few Javelina with it.   Its also one of my first choice go to guns for home defense with 38 +p+ frangible rounds.   Hogue monogrip, and v notch factory site kit.

But, I also love Ruger's Single Action builds, especially for hunting or target shooting.    I've taken Mulie and Elk with my Bisley Blackhawk 45 Long Colt.

I don't shoot my 45 as much with ammo costs and all.

My favorite plinker of all time was my Ruger Convertible Single Six in 22LR 22WMR - interchangable cylinders..     They also make a 45LC / 45 ACP model, and I think they still make the 9mm / .357 .38
     version.      They also have a couple of new guns, a Single 10 .22 LR and a Single 9 22WMR
    Idealism is that which precedes experience...

Paver1055

• Carry everyday!
    « Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 08:52:01 pm »
    Hunting, Plinking, or Defense?

I've owned Taurus, S&W, Ruger, H&R, and Cimarron.   

Had a Taurus 669 blow up on me, left me with a few confidence issues, but since then I picked up a Taurus 650 CIA stainless hammerless model thats reinstilled my confidence, a great concealed carry gun.   I also have a Taurus double action 9 shot model 94 in 22 LR, nice plinker.    Loved my S&W 650 stainless, in 45 long colt, although it did get loose over time.   

But my favorite is my Ruger GP 100 4" I'll never sell - I've owned it longer than any other handgun I have.   Its my favorite "pack gun" and I've taken a few Javelina with it.   Its also one of my first choice go to guns for home defense with 38 +p+ frangible rounds.   Hogue monogrip, and v notch factory site kit.

But, I also love Ruger's Single Action builds, especially for hunting or target shooting.    I've taken Mulie and Elk with my Bisley Blackhawk 45 Long Colt.

I don't shoot my 45 as much with ammo costs and all.

My favorite plinker of all time was my Ruger Convertible Single Six in 22LR 22WMR - interchangable cylinders..     They also make a 45LC / 45 ACP model, and I think they still make the 9mm / .357 .38
     version.      They also have a couple of new guns, a Single 10 .22 LR and a Single 9 22WMR
    Defense

Paver1055

• Carry everyday!
    « Reply #11 on: December 24, 2012, 09:30:08 pm »
    Wow! I didnt think there were that many revolver lovers on here! Thanks for the info. It sure helps

idiotsayswhat

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, 10:11:09 pm »
    I have a thing for the Colt Python, but a close and much more affordable 2nd place goes to the old Smith - Highway Patrolman...  They just look beautiful. 

RugerDave

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #13 on: December 24, 2012, 11:39:12 pm »
    I remember someone I knew had a Colt Anaconda .44 magnum. Nice Revolver but not for the beginner shooter! I wish I would have got it off of them when I had a chance because now they are pretty collectible now from what I heard.

fxrfxd

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2012, 05:42:21 am »
    taurus m85 --38cal, charter arms mag pug 357 cal, both shoot well at 50 feet, both have held up to 500 plus rounds, and were a deal at 330.00 (ok the charter has a rod thru the cylinder, the finger nut comes loose, have to watch it after 10 rounds or so), ruger and smith better guns but for the basics!!! taurus is stepping up
    "Remember: Evil exists because good men don't kill the government officials committing it." -- Kurt Hofmann.

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #15 on: December 25, 2012, 08:16:21 am »
    There are some fairly clean used specimens of S&W carry guns on the market if you don't mind some cosmetic issues.  Even the stainless ones I've seen have some holster wear and scratches but they have all been mechanically sound, relatively tight and well timed.  Apparently these are police trade ins that have been well maintained. 

That said, its hard to beat the Ruger revolvers for just flat out durability and ease of maintenance.  If I remember correctly they just came out with a 5" barreled GP100.  I think that would quickly become my favorite carry revolver, especially bumming around the desert and high country.

One of those converted to fire 10mm or .44 special might cause me to stop buying other revolvers.  :woot
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

john

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2012, 10:52:22 am »
    Home Defense? I would go with a S&W or the Ruger GP100.

Carry? I would go with the Ruger SP101. Built like a tank, but still easy enough to carry. I love mine, just wish I would have gotten the 3" barrel instead.

CXB

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2012, 12:54:46 pm »
    Anither vote for the GP-100. I've carried mine all over and it works great. With some work, you can get the double action down to about a smooth 7.5 lbs or so DA, 3.25lbs give or take for SA. I like the way they time early and they let you know when the shot will break so you can stage them well.

Ex

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2012, 09:16:56 pm »
    Another vote for GP100.  Good trigger from the factory, can be made to be perfect!  I have one in a 4" barrel and need only to replace the rear wide v sight with a notch for it to be in my list of favourites.
    "All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to stand by and do nothing."
    Attributed to Edmund Burke.

"Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything"
    Alexander Hamilton

Not having Windows on your computer is like
    not having bricks tied to your dogs collar.

LOC

• Revolver Driver
    • Wish you were here...
    « Reply #19 on: December 26, 2012, 10:21:09 pm »
    I've never seen this many people in love with Rugers.  Not bashing here, just wondering if there's a correlation because Ruger is based out of Prescott.  How many of you that like them are near that area?

CXB

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2012, 10:28:07 pm »
    I've never seen this many people in love with Rugers.  Not bashing here, just wondering if there's a correlation because Ruger is based out of Prescott.  How many of you that like them are near that area?
    I live in Prescott, but I liked them even when I lived in CA. Of course, their revolvers are built in Newport, NH. I do like my Mark III though, so maybe you are onto something. =)

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #21 on: December 27, 2012, 01:13:22 am »
    I have to admit that I am a bit partial because they are in AZ. 

But I would like Ruger anyway.  Being in AZ just strengthens that like.

-T.

idiotsayswhat

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2012, 07:12:42 am »
    My first pistol was a Ruger P94...  I bought it when I lived in Michigan.  I gotta be honest, some years later after handing some CZ's and Glocks I had to get rid of that thing.  The trigger was all something awful...  I didn't really want to part with it, but it just wasn't fun to shoot due to the trigger.  Too bad because it was super reliable. 

Now unless it's a Mark series .22, I kinda wince at the prospect of shooting one...  I've heard good things about the P95 though. 

RugerDave

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #23 on: December 27, 2012, 08:20:53 am »
    I like Rugers! Blackhawk and Vaquero are just some of the best out there!

john

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2012, 10:02:56 am »
    I think the difference when you get so much positive response fo Ruger is because you're asking about their revolvers.

You don't get the same response with their semi-autos. While I have a couple, they don't stack up to the revolvers.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement