Username: Password:

Author Topic: Hawken "build"  (Read 2416 times)

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
Hawken "build"
« on: June 23, 2013, 07:00:58 am »
Well, I'm headed out to do a function test (and, of course, some shooting for the fun of it) on a buddy's .50 cal Hawken this morning. It's a bone stock Thompson Center, and he has asked me to re do it as a trade rifle with hints of Blackfoot tribe feel to it. Pics will follow this build, and I'll put up a few of the before shots as well. It might take me a bit, as I have a pt92 to assemble and function check for my wife's cousin first (his late father oiled it, then wrapped it in saran wrap before storage :facepalm :facepalm. I have the deep rust all off and new springs...here we go)

Anyhoo, the .50 has some brass tacks, a stock refinish, and some browning to be done, with some possible patch box engraving and maybe some stock carving. He has the paperwork necessary to own raptor feathers, but I am fresh out. I always did like an owl tail feather off one of the ram rod guides as a "wind flag". Guess I'll have to use turkey for the moment. I'll also have to decide if I want to mirror polish the brass so it can tarnish to the pattern of his own body oils, or leave the factory tarnish/clear finish.  I usually go overboard with these and make a patch knife and tomahawk to go along with these. we'll see
Heat it till it's hot, then beat it with a hammer until it's the shape you want.    Blacksmith's advice that works for pretty much everything in life

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    Re: Hawken "build"
    « Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 10:23:12 pm »
    Ambitious.  Post up some pics for us as you are able.   :woot
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement