Username: Password:

Author Topic: Police "contact" apparently judicially redefined...  (Read 12728 times)

AK47RND

Re: Police "contact" apparently judicially redefined...
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2013, 03:32:32 pm »

Let me guess.....

His ass was on the way out the window...

You got it!!!  :rotfl  :rotfl  :rotfl
"You Can't Move Forward, Until You Know Where You Are"

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #26 on: August 02, 2013, 03:38:01 pm »
    So, all those facts about it being a high crime neighborhood, and the guy acting suspiciously, etc., - none of that was sufficient to rise to the level of reasonable suspicion.

:saywhat

-T.

LuckyLeaky

• Administrator
    « Reply #27 on: August 02, 2013, 03:39:11 pm »
    You got it!!!  :rotfl  :rotfl  :rotfl

This is why I like Brian.... he is "special" lol

altsehastiin

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2013, 03:49:33 pm »
    :saywhat

-T.

The police never argued that they had reasonable suspicion to initially detain the guy.  If they had had reasonable suspicion, this would have been a straightforward Terry stop-and-frisk, and we wouldn't be talking about any of this.  The police argued that it was a consensual contact right up until, I suppose, the point where the guy admitted he was a felon.  That's also what the trial court found.

LuckyLeaky

• Administrator
    « Reply #29 on: August 02, 2013, 03:56:14 pm »
    The police never argued that they had reasonable suspicion to initially detain the guy.  If they had had reasonable suspicion, this would have been a straightforward Terry stop-and-frisk, and we wouldn't be talking about any of this.  The police argued that it was a consensual contact right up until, I suppose, the point where the guy admitted he was a felon.  That's also what the trial court found.

I dunno....reasonable suspicion would be two people talking in the middle of an intersection and bolting in two different directions when the police show up.....

But hey! that's just me. ;-)

coyotesfan97

• Paws before boots!
    • Administrator
    « Reply #30 on: August 02, 2013, 03:57:32 pm »
    From the majority's opinion:

¶ 11 Terry also addressed when police may perform a protective search, a limited patdown for weapons called a Terry frisk. Although a Terry stop and a Terry frisk are both seizures under the Fourth Amendment, these seizures have different justifications. A police officer may conduct a Terry stop if the officer has “a reasonable suspicion supported by articulable facts that criminal activity ‘may be afoot,’ “ United States v. Sokolow, 490 U.S. 1, 7 (1989) (quoting Terry, 392 U.S. at 30), or if the officer reasonably suspects the person detained committed a crime. See United States v. Hensley, 469 U.S. 221, 229 (1985). A Terry frisk, however, is allowed for personal safety reasons when an officer is dealing with a person the officer reasonably believes may be armed and dangerous. Terry, 392 U.S. at 24. Although a Terry frisk more often than not occurs during a Terry stop, nevertheless, the “two types of seizures are analytically distinct.” United States v. Davis, 202 F.3d 1060, 1062 (8th Cir.2000); United States v. Orman, 486 F.3d 1170, 1174 (9th Cir.2007) (Terry stop-and-frisk “constitutes two independent actions, each requiring separate justifications”) (quoting United States v. Flippin, 924 F.2d 163, 165 n.2 (9th Cir.1991))

¶ 16 That most Terry frisks are preceded by Terry stops does not make the former dependent on the latter. Consensual encounters can escalate; what begins as a benign conversation between a police officer and an individual can evolve and give rise to a reasonable suspicion that the individual is involved in criminal activity or, even if not involved in such activity, is armed and presently dangerous. We agree that the “danger to officer safety that justifies a protective search may arise after a consensual encounter or investigative stop” has begun. Davis, 202 F.3d at 1063. Thus, we also agree with the court's observation in Orman that “Terry did not cabin the use of officer safety patdowns to lawful investigatory detentions.” Orman, 486 F.3d at 1173. We therefore respectfully disagree with the conclusion reached by the panel in Ilono that in a consensual encounter, a police officer may not conduct a protective patdown of a person even if the officer has reasonable grounds to believe that person is armed and dangerous unless the officer also has reasonable suspicion the person is involved in criminal activity.5

¶ 17 The Supreme Court stated in Terry that “[t]he sole justification of the search in the present situation is the protection of the police officer and others nearby․” Terry, 392 U.S. at 29. Thus, a frisk is allowed because it serves to prevent injury. Requiring an officer to reasonably suspect criminal activity before he may protect himself would hinder the officer's ability to investigate suspicious behavior or even to assist a citizen in apparent need. Without the authority to perform a protective search, an officer in such a situation would be forced to avoid those he reasonably believes are dangerous but not necessarily engaged in criminal conduct. Of course, often an officer does not know that a person may be armed until after he has already initiated the consensual encounter. Without the authority to search a person he reasonably has come to believe is dangerous, the officer in such a situation is in a dilemma. He must then either end the encounter and walk away, requiring him to abandon his legitimate duties and expose himself to potential danger during his retreat, or he may continue the encounter in hopes of acquiring suspicion of criminal activity to justify a frisk, which places him in a dangerous situation without the ability to protect himself. The Supreme Court has cautioned that we should not “require that police officers take unnecessary risks in the performance of their duties.” Id. at 23.

The court is saying a Terry stop and a Terry pat down/frisk are two different things requiring separate justifications and the fact that an encounter is consensual doesn't present an Officer from conducting a pat down if he can justify it. 

Here the Officer articulated he saw a bulge in a waistband, asked if Serna had weapons or drugs, and Serna said yes.  He then did the pat down and removed the gun.  They obviously articulated all the justifications for conducting the pat down otherwise the case would have gone away much earlier. It satisfied the trial court and the Appelate court with the totality of the circumstances.  Now it remains to be seen whether the next court level does and how high it gets appealed.

Hey if you don't want to talk to a cop when he asks just say no and keep walking. A cop telling you to stop and one asking you to talk to him consensually are two different things.

The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.  Thucydides 471BC

"Hey!  Let's be careful out there." Sgt Phil Esterhaus played by Michael Conrad

AK47RND

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2013, 04:06:42 pm »
    I dunno....reasonable suspicion would be two people talking in the middle of an intersection and bolting in two different directions when the police show up.....

Along with being in a known "high crime, gang neighborhood, where violence takes place,” and having numerous drug complaints.

You play with fire...you will get burned! ;-)
    "You Can't Move Forward, Until You Know Where You Are"

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

altsehastiin

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2013, 04:20:48 pm »
    Hey if you don't want to talk to a cop when he asks just say no and keep walking. A cop telling you to stop and one asking you to talk to him consensually are two different things.

That's the take away for me.  If you're doing nothing wrong, and a cop initiates a contact with you, it's important to ask, "Am I being detained, or am free to go?"  Make them answer, and act accordingly.

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #33 on: August 02, 2013, 04:28:44 pm »
    ...it's important to ask, "Am I being detained, or am free to go?"  Make them answer, and act accordingly.

I don't think I'd lead with that.  He might just want to know where I got my cool corduroy pants.

-T.

Wyatt Earp

• Contributor
    « Reply #34 on: August 02, 2013, 04:43:51 pm »

2.  Serna was ordered to put his hands on his head.  That's a 4th amendment siezure.  At that point, the encounter is no longer consensual.  What reasonable suspicion justifies that siezure?  Just the suspicion that the guy's got a gun?

It's a seizure, it's a Terry stop at that point, which has already been decided by the Supreme Court and allows me to pat you down for weapons if I reasonably believe you have one.  Since you just told me you did, Terry applies.

3.  What about open carry?  Can a cop now walk up to someone who is openly carrying and demand that they turn over their gun for as long as the cop wants to talk?

Technically speaking, yes we can.  Will we do it, for the most part, no. I have better things to do then to bother people who are legally carrying their firearms.  Most cops are smart enough to realize that if you're carrying your firearm in the open you are either totally legal or totally stupid.  A little observation of you usually tells us which one it is.  If it's stupid, then we come and approach you.  If its legal, we don't care.  Plenty of real crime to deal with.

Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.

Wyatt Earp

armoredman

• Contributor
    « Reply #35 on: August 04, 2013, 11:45:21 am »
    1.  Are the cops now free to walk up to anyone on the street and frisk them if they see a "bulge" that they reasonably suspect is a gun, even the absence of any sort of suspicion of wrongdoing?  If that's a consensual encounter, how does the subject go about ending it?
    That was the majority of the question - can they stop anyone suspected of obeying the law, (carrying concealed with or without a permit is legal), and frisk/take possession of the sidearm, and what for? Yes, PD in AZ enjoy a much better rep than say, Los Angeles, Chicago or NYC, but nobody's perfect - Phoenix PD has had their share of black eyes recently. This ruling seems to default to the IL constitution, stating the right to keep and bear arms is subject to "the police power".

3.  What about open carry?  Can a cop now walk up to someone who is openly carrying and demand that they turn over their gun for as long as the cop wants to talk?

Technically speaking, yes we can.
    I'd have to think the officer better have a good reason to do exactly that, or have a serious lawsuit leveled at himself and his city/political subdivision for harassment. I also understand that 99% of LEOs I have dealt with in this state since birth have been pretty darn good human beings - but limits are what we put on power, no matter how good the person holding the office is at the moment. Cast your eyes on Washington DC and ponder that one again. So, regardless if I can trust you, or you, or even you, with the keys to my house and combo to my safe, I don't want to hand out blanket authorization tot every person who gets sworn in, not by a long shot. I'm certain that AZCDL will work on getting this redefined again in law.
    I'll say it again - the mere fact that I have nothing to hide gives nobody the right to look.

armoredman

• Contributor
    « Reply #36 on: August 04, 2013, 11:48:10 am »
    Along with being in a known "high crime, gang neighborhood, where violence takes place,” and having numerous drug complaints.

You play with fire...you will get burned! .  ;-)

...and what about the people who live there and AREN'T part of the problem? There are a few, otherwise there'd be no complaints to investigate, right? :)

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #37 on: August 04, 2013, 11:59:25 am »
    I'll say it again - the mere fact that I have nothing to hide gives nobody the right to look.

Doesn't irritate me.  I actually DO have things to hide.  Not because they are illegal or because they are shameful, but because they are for me and no one else.

My issue comes up in the debate of the theoretical vs. the actual.  What's going to happen in reality more than likely isn't what everyone likes to pretend is the new reality.  Should something happen to me that is out of bounds, I will act accordingly in that moment.  But until then...

This ruling is a technical reading of existing law.  It isn't going to change how police do business one iota.

And I do understand mission creep when you alter boundaries.  This won't even cause that.

...and what about the people who live there and AREN'T part of the problem?

I expect that those people aren't going to be hanging out in the middle of an intersection and then make a beeline outta Dodge in opposite directions when they see the popo.  Nor are they going to be admitting to being a felon (ie. prohibited possessor).

-T.

acetum

• Distance is your friend
    • check your six
    « Reply #38 on: August 04, 2013, 01:45:08 pm »
    Here's the actual case. Maybe the local media could have reported a little bit more of the facts and circumstances.

State vs Serna

If you're a convicted felon who is a prohibited possessor and you're armed don't stand in the middle of intersections late at night in a high crime area and try the felony shuffle when you see the PO PO rolling up.

damn it stop giving away all the secrets...
    "To revolt is a natural tendency of life. Even a worm turns against the foot that crushes it. In general, the vitality and relative dignity of an animal can be measured by the intensity of its instinct to revolt." -Bakunin

LuckyLeaky

• Administrator
    « Reply #39 on: August 04, 2013, 02:08:49 pm »
    http://www.azcentral.com/community/mesa/articles/20130804police-mesa-man-wheelchair-fatally-shot-during-arrest.html

By Karen Schmidt and Jackee CoeThe Republic | azcentral.comSun Aug 4, 2013 12:08 PM

A 49-year-old man in a wheelchair was killed Sunday morning after Mesa police shot him during an altercation, according to officials.

Police stopped the man, who was in a wheelchair, around 9 a.m. Sunday morning near the corner of Main Street and South Williams, Mesa police said. Police said the man had had several drug-related run-ins with the police this year and stopped him because they knew he had a felony narcotics warrant.

While police were talking to the jail to make arrangements to take the man into custody, police say they noticed as he sat in his wheelchair that he was fidgeting with his waistline. Police say they discoverd two sheathed knives and a holstered gun hidden under his shirt in his waistline.

Police say the man started reaching for the holstered gun and a struggle ensued with the three officers at the scene. Police fired at the man, who was killed on the scene. The three officers involved in the altercation were placed on administrative leave following standard procedure.

Police have not yet released names of the man or the officers. An investigation into the incident is pending.

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #40 on: August 04, 2013, 05:10:52 pm »
    Being in a wheelchair doesn't make one a saint.  Attempt to draw down on police, or anyone else for that matter, and you should expect to be shot.

-T.

LuckyLeaky

• Administrator
    « Reply #41 on: August 04, 2013, 05:20:33 pm »
    Being in a wheelchair doesn't make one a saint.  Attempt to draw down on police, or anyone else for that matter, and you should expect to be shot.

-T.

Exactly....Point of the post is that the police never know who suspect......They came up to this guy KNOWING that he was a felon and still did not disarm him at first or even attempt to see if they needed to disarm him.

nelifox

« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2013, 01:40:36 am »

-T.

Agree on both points.

Bluecord_24years

« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2013, 12:02:19 pm »
    Weeelll... I might still ask why and roll my eyes to some degree.  But I'm not going to make a big deal of it.

I think in real-world terms.  Why do I carry a gun?  For protection, and because I can't carry a cop.  If there's a cop standing right there, I'm less concerned about needing to be armed in that moment.  So it's not THAT big of a deal to me that he has my gun for however many minutes the contact takes.

Before anyone says it, yes... they do have a duty to protect you when they create a relationship with you.    Disarming me creates that relationship.  And that's academic anyway.  No cop is going to stand there looking on while someone shoots at me standing right next to him.   :?

-T.

You obviously have never lived in the "Southern" parts of these United States.

BC

gamestalker

« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2013, 04:40:04 pm »
     My Wife and I have both been disarmed by a cop before. And the way he returned our firearms was about as disrespectful as can be imagined too. After he ran both of the guns and us, he tossed both guns and the ammo on the passenger seat all in one heap. Guns and ammo were bashing against each other and it dinged up our firearms pretty bad. I said something about it, and he just waved his hand at us, as if to say, get the $%&# out of here way.

Years later another cop did the same thing to our guns after having run them and us. Neither my wife or I fit any profile of bad ass looking either. We are both on the senior side, and drive a car that fits the profile of Mr. and Mrs. dorky looking types. Why all the disrespect to our firearms, they didn't forget to use their turn signal?

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away"

GS

armoredman

• Contributor
    « Reply #45 on: October 12, 2013, 05:31:02 pm »
    Did you make any complaints?  :-(

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #46 on: October 12, 2013, 10:16:46 pm »
    Why all the disrespect to our firearms, they didn't forget to use their turn signal?

Cops come in all flavors, shapes and sizes.  Some aren't gun-knowledgable people.  Some see guns like one might see a screwdriver or hammer.  Some just had a fight with their wife/kid/supervisor/chief/whoever, are distracted, and don't give a damn.  And some are indeed just being jerks.

Never can know for sure.  :-\   Such s life with anyone.

-T.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement