Username: Password:

Author Topic: scope on Ruger 10/22 Take Down  (Read 3886 times)

hals

scope on Ruger 10/22 Take Down
« on: May 08, 2012, 08:21:12 PM »
Any suggestions for a scope on the new 10/22 takedown?

Thernlund

• Administrator
Re: scope on Ruger 10/22 Take Down
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 10:44:58 PM »
I'm a Nikon fan myself.  I'd probably start by looking at the Nikon Monarch 2-8x32, IF I was going to put glass on it at all.  Which I probably wouldn't.  You'll notice the irons are on the barrel portion, which insures repeatable accuracy.  A scope would be on the receiver.  Repeated assembling, breaking down, and reassembling could move your zero to a different place every time.   :-\

-T.
    Arm yourself because no one else here will save you.  The odds will betray you, and I will replace you...

TheCol.U.S.M.C.

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 03:44:45 PM »
Well somebody has to find out if it will move the point of impact, How much where you looking to spend ? The Nikon Thernlund recommended is a great scope I have it on my wish list, Leopold make a great rimfire scope for about $200 if I remember right.

I am looking to get a take done myself but I was going to mount a scope off one of my other 10/22 to see if it was worth it to put a scope on the takedown model before I bought a new one. If you have time and do get a scope start a thread about it I am interested to see how well a scope works on the takedown.

brandyspaw

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 03:01:24 PM »
I was also a little leary of the repeat accuracy when constantly pulling the barrel off especially with the scope mounted on the receiver.

However, an old shooting buddy of mine back in Colorado has one of these new takedown Rugers. Since I know him so well and I trust in him as being truthfull, I'm happy to relay the info that the system works well. He has mounted a scope on the gun using the traditional 10/22 tapped holes and mount with excellent results.  He's repeatedly checked the point of aim with his scope on paper after removing the barrel with no change in impact and has been getting typical excellent 10/22 accuracy

There is a knurled nut on the receiver where the barrel slips into the takedown mechanism.  You adjust it when you assemble the gun the first time and then whenever there is any noticable play with the barrel in the gun.  It clicks down with finger tension to keep things tight. That coupled with the tight machining tolerances keeps the gun on target.
I have 4 10/22s and hadn't planned on getting another but this takedown 10/22 is calling me now.
When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so.
Thomas Jefferson

brandyspaw

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 11:01:41 PM »
BTW-I forgot to address the OP's question about what type of scope.  I'd suggest a 1-4x power or even a 4x fixed scope for a lightweight barrel 10/22 like that.  Get a good quality scope like a Leupold, Burris, Nikon. etc.  Even their cheaper made mdels are scopes of Philippine manufacture and will be a big step above the cheaper Chinese made stuff.
When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so.
Thomas Jefferson

ZigZagMan

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 09:33:33 PM »
I'd go with a Barska.... They make them with illuminating reticles (green, blue, red, or just plain black) and each color has 5 brightness settings....  It isn't a leupold but it will do the job well on a 10/22.  Plus it won't dent your wallet to bad.  Under $150.  I had a Barska Point Blank model for my AR 15. It held zero and performed great.  It was built well too.