Username: Password:

Author Topic: A history question  (Read 6783 times)

Driedupturd

• Larry
A history question
« on: February 11, 2014, 09:51:08 pm »
I'm fairly new to shooting, and it seems like I picked a bad time to start. I know that ammo disappeared when Obama was elected, and again after Sandy Hook. Are shortages a regular occurrence over the last couple decades?

Thanks

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

ItWasntMe

• Known Agitator
    • Sr. Contributor
    Re: A history question
    « Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 10:16:56 pm »
    Yes.

Fickle bunch, aren't we. :-\
    Have you considered the possibility that pathological narcissism is genetic?

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
      • Immediate Action Tactics & Training Group
    « Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 10:51:50 pm »
    Comes and goes. Depends on what your shooting and if your a weekend shooter or a person that stocks up. I reload so I haven't been effected really at all.
    NRA Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    Colt AR15 Certified Armorer
    GLOCK Armorer

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 11:10:03 pm »
    As alluded to, ammo availability is indeed very sensitive to the political and current event climate. 

Time was that if we had a Republican President in office you generally had nothing to worry about as far as availability.  These days though, I think some in the gun community have proven to be excitable at the drop of a pin.  :-\

-T.

brandyspaw

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 09:21:04 am »
    Actually I only recall one period of prolonged ammo shortages before Sandy Hook and Big Ear's first election. That was when the "Assault Weapons" ban of 1994 occurred.  Leading up to those laws being enacted ammo prices and availability were disrupted because no one knew exactly what may be placed in those bills.  Hollow point, premium defensive ammo was in especially short supply and the prices got bumped up dramatically. Of course, magazines were in short supply as well in that era for obvious reasons.

Other than that, I don't recall any dramatic shortages other than some isolated incidents such as when Chinese imports were banned in 1991. So when that occurred AK ammo spiked since there was only a trickle of ammo from  Russian or other Com-Bloc countries at the time.  That's quite unlike the supply of Russian and Euro ammo we have these days.

Ammo does have an ebb and flow as is the case of surplus 308 ammo.  There have been many times in the past when surplus 308 was cheaper and more available than surplus 223. Of course, the days of surplus 308 and 223 ammo coming into the country has pretty much passed.  These days we still enjoy cheap surplus 5.45x39 and 7.62x54R but those days will come to end as well.  When that happens commercial ammo might not always meet the demand.

That brings me to my final point; ammo availability has become more easily disrupted in recent years because of the vastly increased demand from more shooters. It seems to me that we have had more demand from both current and  new shooters than at any other time in the four decades I've been shooting and collecting.
    "When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    Thomas Jefferson

"Most of my money has gone for guns, cars and guitars.  The rest I just wasted."

Driedupturd

• Larry
    « Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 08:13:11 pm »
    Well I guess the good news is that if we've overcome shortage in the past, we'll probably overcome this one too. Sadly, when the supplies do recover, I'll stock up, thereby contributing to the problem.  :rolleyes

HammerDown

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 09:03:42 pm »
    Well I guess the good news is that if we've overcome shortage in the past, we'll probably overcome this one too. Sadly, when the supplies do recover, I'll stock up, thereby contributing to the problem.  :rolleyes

Start reloading, Primers were a little tight for a while, but overall I have not had any "shortages" except for .22, and I dont shoot enough of that for it to have bothered me. 
    "Gun free zone" = A target rich environment for those that want to do harm.

TruFireAmmo

• VP TruFire Ammo Co.
    « Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 09:54:55 pm »
    Yes you're right about the ebb and flow for manufactured ammo.  Components to manufacture or reload is more readily available and prices are more stable. Matt
    "Made in America Used to Stand for Something"

Matthew D’Ercole
    Vice President of Sales
    Trufire Ammo Company Inc.
    Pahrump Nv, 89048
    Direct – 702.501.0973
    TruFireAmmo.Matt@gmail.com

Gunslinging Ninja

• Does not play well with others
    « Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 10:08:33 pm »
    2008 and 2013 were very bad years. And some of us in the community were out to flip when both scares presented an opportunity. Its pretty much why I give away 22 now, and try to deny sales to lowlife flippers.

Rusty Young Man

• Open Carry advocate
    • "A Right unexercised is a Right lost."
    « Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 06:37:55 pm »
    The prices of some commodities are dependent not just on the usual supply-demand patterns in the market, but also on the whims of politicians and the world elite:
    Gold
    Silver
    Oil
    Ammunition
    Freedom (whoops, that one is a Right, but some parallels exist)

If you can get into reloading, do so (I keep hearing about all the savings and the dependablility of having ammo on demand). I'm not able to at the moment because of monetary and spatial reasons (university tuition and apartment space, respectively). Someday though. :-\
    “Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.”-- Frederic Bastiat

I carry for self defense, desensitizing, and educating. In that order.

martin

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 06:37:01 am »
    We might be testing the Com-Bloc ammo supply here again with Mr. Putin trying to stop ammo shipments to us now...

... I don't recall any dramatic shortages other than some isolated incidents such as when Chinese imports were banned in 1991. So when that occurred AK ammo spiked since there was only a trickle of ammo from  Russian or other Com-Bloc countries at the time.  That's quite unlike the supply of Russian and Euro ammo we have these days...  we still enjoy cheap surplus 5.45x39 and 7.62x54R but those days will come to end as well.  When that happens commercial ammo might not always meet the demand...

Just a heads up on those calibers if you shoot steel cased Russian made.  Maybe the eastern European supplies will be stressed.
    IN NEED OF A GUN WHEN I CAN'T reach for 911

Gunslinging Ninja

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 07:09:11 am »
    At J&G it was packed with people buying combloc calibers by the spam, case, and crates yesterday. Almost like it was right after Sandy Hook again...

altsehastiin

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2014, 07:55:12 am »
    We might be testing the Com-Bloc ammo supply here again with Mr. Putin trying to stop ammo shipments to us now...

Just a heads up on those calibers if you shoot steel cased Russian made.  Maybe the eastern European supplies will be stressed.

What evidence do you have that Putin is "trying to stop ammo shipments to us"?

brandyspaw

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #13 on: March 09, 2014, 08:48:08 am »
    What evidence do you have that Putin is "trying to stop ammo shipments to us"?

There may be a disruption of the Com-Bloc calibers from Russia and the Ukraine but I'm more concerned with what our current disgraceful excuse for an administration might do. Our executive order happy Liar-in-chief is more of a concern to me.
    "When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    Thomas Jefferson

"Most of my money has gone for guns, cars and guitars.  The rest I just wasted."

Son of Jared

• Contributor
    « Reply #14 on: March 09, 2014, 06:17:21 pm »
    At J&G it was packed with people buying combloc calibers by the spam, case, and crates yesterday. Almost like it was right after Sandy Hook again...

Yup, I think it's on. S&G Ammo is claiming a high volume delay and their Russian rifle ammo looks pretty picked over.
    All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force... We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent Mind. This Mind is the matrix of all matter.

Max Planck

Cyris

• Beer and Bullets
    « Reply #15 on: March 09, 2014, 06:24:22 pm »
    People just need an excuse to hoard stuff. The sad thing is, they get longer and longer each time. New shooters are joining, seeing this chaos and will start to build their stock as soon as possible to get not get bitten next time. I have a good stock of stuff, but I still buy things on occasion when I find them for regular prices. I had a decent stock of 22lr, but I am almost out of it now. Real bummer too, as the kids are not big enough to shoot larger calibers. This hurts them more than me, as I have a lot more choices and I can reload just about everything that I shoot. But hey, some neckbeard out there can make a buck selling it for double on the interwebs.
    .:Cyris

If you want to protect your Right to Keep and Bear Arms in Arizona, then you want to join the Arizona Citizens Defense League (AzCDL)

Gunslinging Ninja

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2014, 06:28:14 pm »
    neckbeard
    This is AGO, not Arf, lol...

If you're in or near Prescott, come send me a message, I can give some boxes away for the kids.

Cyris

• Beer and Bullets
    « Reply #17 on: March 09, 2014, 06:33:57 pm »
    This is AGO, not Arf, lol...

If you're in or near Prescott, come send me a message, I can give some boxes away for the kids.

Haha, good call.. good call.

Thanks, I may hit you up next time I am heading that way and maybe we can work something out. Really appreciate the offer! I still have a few hundred rounds left, took the niece out this weekend (she is 9) for her first time. She had a hard time getting her hands around the 1911-22, but she would not put the 10/22 down for nothing. We could not load mags fast enough. Once she got the hang of it, she was knocking down every target we could set up for her. I didn't even realize how much she shot until I got home, but worth every penny to see that smile on her face.

(sorry to derail the thread)
    .:Cyris

If you want to protect your Right to Keep and Bear Arms in Arizona, then you want to join the Arizona Citizens Defense League (AzCDL)

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #18 on: March 10, 2014, 08:58:40 am »
    Cabela's yesterday (attached).  $4.99/box.

Don't get too caught up in the fervor ya'll.   Remember that the sources for the "run" intel are Inforwars and James Yeager.  :rolleyes

-T.

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
      • Immediate Action Tactics & Training Group
    « Reply #19 on: March 10, 2014, 09:41:48 am »
    ill never be caught without again.
    NRA Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    Colt AR15 Certified Armorer
    GLOCK Armorer

Gunslinging Ninja

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2014, 09:48:39 am »
    Anyone that uses James Yeager as a source for anything, loses instant respect/trust from me.

thedemonapostle

• Aim low, shoot high.
    « Reply #21 on: March 10, 2014, 04:19:50 pm »
    Anyone that uses James Yeager as a source for anything, loses instant respect/trust from me.

i second this opinion.
    There is no courage in pulling a trigger, pushing a button or doing as you're told. The real courage is standing for what you believe, regardless of the consequences.

The universe is vast, and we are so small. In the end, there is only one thing we can truly control. Whether we are good, or evil.

thedemonapostle

• Aim low, shoot high.
    « Reply #22 on: March 10, 2014, 04:22:59 pm »
    http://www.thebangswitch.com/is-the-x39-world-coming-to-an-end/

Military Arms Channel offers some facts about whats up with the x39mm ammo...
    There is no courage in pulling a trigger, pushing a button or doing as you're told. The real courage is standing for what you believe, regardless of the consequences.

The universe is vast, and we are so small. In the end, there is only one thing we can truly control. Whether we are good, or evil.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement