Username: Password:

Author Topic: Walmart shooting claimed to be self-defense, Or... In fear for your life?  (Read 5171 times)

Thernlund

• Administrator
  • AZGO Founder
Chandler Walmart shooting suspect: I used gun in self-defense
By Courtland Jeffrey
The Arizona Republic-12 News Breaking News Team
Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:59 AM

A Chandler man suspected of fatally shooting another man at a local Walmart over the weekend is saying it was a matter of self-defense, according to police.

At 4 p.m., authorities were called to the store near Alma School and Warner roads, where they found Kyle Wayne Quadlin, 25, and Kriston Charles Belinte Chee, 36, Chandler Police spokesman Joe Favazzo said.

Quadlin and Belinte Chee had gotten into an argument that turned into a physical altercation at the store’s service counter, according to Favazzo.

Quadlin is believed to have pulled out a gun and shot Belinte Chee after Quadlin said he was losing the fight and was “in fear for his life,” Favazzo said. Quadlin then fled the store.

Video footage taken from the store shows a physical altercation between the two men before the shooting happen, according to Chandler police.

The pair did not know each other before this incident.

The investigation is ongoing and police have not booked Quadlin pending review by the County Attorney’s Office.

SOURCE:  http://www.azcentral.com/community/chandler/articles/20140217chandler-walmart-shooting-suspect-says-self-defense.html

Am I the only one who's gotten cynical about the above-underlined term?  Maybe it makes me a bad person, but for whatever reason, I usually automatically assume it to be preemptive lawyer fodder rather than the real truth.   :-\

Thinking about it, I've been in some pretty dicey situations.  I even had my ass beat once by four very big guys in a parking lot until my buddies showed up and "handled" them.  As bad as that was, not once did it occur to me that I was going to die.  "Fear for my life" never entered my mind.  And that was four meat-headed muscle guys bigger than me.

I dunno.  Very short on details.  Maybe he was actually in fear for his life.  It's a pretty subjective state of mind I suppose.

-T.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

PHXCobra

Re: Walmart shooting claimed to be self-defense, Or... In fear for your life?
    « Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 12:09:21 pm »
    Agreed.  I think too many people use it as justification after the fact.  If there is audio that shows the guy that got shot said he was going to kill the shooter, still it's tough to make that call. 

As far as getting into fights, I haven't been in a fight in years and do my best to remain levelheaded.  There have been plenty of opportunities to be in fights, but I have been the bigger man in all but one of them and simply walked away.  Being cornered by 4 dudes in a parking lot might cause me to pull my weapon but thats a self preservation mode.  It would be a deterrent to a fight as opposed to anything else.

N.M.Edmands

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 12:12:02 pm »
     “in fear for his life,” makes me jump as well as it sounds too "practicing for court".
     " I was really scared he was gonna f***ing kill me!" :'(  sets better.
     Meh, running from the store aint gonna help either.
    Nat
    Politics is spherical; the only choice is which side of many to choose.
     But because politics is spherical there are only 2 sides--inside or outside.
     If I wish to maintain sanity I must choose outside.

870policemag

• Administrator
    « Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 12:13:32 pm »
    I'm leaning toward lawyer fodder. Every time I think about firearms vs fists I'm very skeptic. The only reason I sided with Zimmerman was the fact the pavement played a big role in that case. This seems like a case of homicide in the heat of passion.
    « Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 12:25:45 pm by 870policemag »
    Bullets are the only things that do their job only after they're fired.

coyotesfan97

• Paws before boots!
    • Administrator
    « Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 12:41:38 pm »
    I always think of RAH and his statement of an armed society is a polite society. If you carrying it's better to avoid petty disputes at a service counter.

When you get in a fight, you shoot someone and then you flee doesn't help your self defense claim.

The service counter at Walmart probably has some of the best video surveillance equipment available. If you do something at the chain 99% of the time it's recorded.
    The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.  Thucydides 471BC

"Hey!  Let's be careful out there." Sgt Phil Esterhaus played by Michael Conrad

Bhoffman

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 01:00:31 pm »
    OR...Serious Physical Harm!

Misfire51

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 02:01:44 pm »
    The shooter is 25 yrs old and the other was 35. Now if the shooter was 90 and getting his ass handed to him by a 35 yr old maybe I could see the fear for your life thing. At 25 you just about fear nothing. My 2 cents.
    Tony / Mighty Arms

N.M.Edmands

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 02:22:48 pm »
    The shooter is 25 yrs old and the other was 35. Now if the shooter was 90 and getting his ass handed to him by a 35 yr old maybe I could see the fear for your life thing. At 25 you just about fear nothing. My 2 cents.
    Understood. :thumbup  In my case I can do violence for about 30-90 seconds before remaining upright and breathing becomes my biggest concern. :-[ But,during those 30-60 I can do violence--big time. :woot
    Nat

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 02:51:23 pm »
    I'm actually trying to think what could possibly provoke me to engage in physical violence with another person at the WalMart customer service counter.   :confused    Short of just getting sucker punched by a total stranger for no apparent reason ( and if it was one blow with no follow up even that most likely wouldn't do it - especially if I was armed ) I can't imagine anything. 

It makes me wonder if they may have encountered each other in the store somewhere else just prior to the incident.   :hmm
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

SirJesster

• Threadkiller
    • I am El Guapo Gordo!
    « Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 03:50:50 pm »
    if you're armed, why the hell would you argue with anyone at any service store? just let it go, no one has to die over who was next in line. do people with guns normally get into fist fights? i'm thinking not usually. either way, you don't provoke anything... and you don't run away, either.

i'm not liking this story at all.
    Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, ever, cut a deal with a dragon.

davycrockettfv

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 07:11:45 pm »
    The service counter at Walmart probably has some of the best video surveillance equipment available. If you do something at the chain 99% of the time it's recorded.

You mean those nice deserted aisles that are perfect for a pesky butt itch...?  Ah crap!

HammerDown

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 07:37:46 pm »
    I have been aggravated, annoyed, once I even got perturbed in a walmart, never once have I been angry enough to get into a fistfight let alone a gunfight in a store. 

sorry but unless you were getting beat 3/4 to death, and since he fled the scene after, he was no where near that point. There is not enough solid facts to say one way or the other but so far the "self defense" argument is looking a little thin.
    "Gun free zone" = A target rich environment for those that want to do harm.

Harm

• Devils Advocate Recoil Junkie Loctite Applicator
    • Administrator
    « Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 07:47:05 pm »
    I've been afraid sitting inside my front door listening to three Spanish speakers on the other side talk to each other through the steps to breaking in my front door.  I was more afraid when the door knob started to rattle. 

In Wal-Mart?  Nah.
    I know where my towel is.

FreeInAZ

• Sr. Contributor
    • Klingons never bluff. nottojtlhInganpu'.
    « Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 08:13:36 pm »
    According to the FBI more people are killed using hands and fists than rifles yearly. So maybe someone beating you can kill you. I don't want to shoot anyone. I don't want to fight anyone. This said, repeated blows to the head can do long term damage and even kill people. None of us were there, we don't know enough yet to really form any educated opinions.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/01/03/FBI-More-People-Killed-With-Hammers-and-Clubs-Each-Year-Than-With-Rifles
    Better to die on our feet than live on our knees! "The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable." -Sun Tzu

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 08:15:16 pm »
    This said, repeated blows to the head can do long term damage and even kill people.

Right.  But this dude was in good enough shape to flee the scene.   :?

-T.

HammerDown

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 08:17:58 pm »
    I've been afraid sitting inside my front door listening to three Spanish speakers on the other side talk to each other through the steps to breaking in my front door.  I was more afraid when the door knob started to rattle. 

In Wal-Mart?  Nah.

In my old neighborhood we used to call that "Wednesday"  :facepalm  I am so glad I live out in the "burbs" now.
    "Gun free zone" = A target rich environment for those that want to do harm.

FreeInAZ

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #16 on: February 17, 2014, 08:25:39 pm »
    Right.  But this dude was in good enough shape to flee the scene.   :?

-T.

People with head injuries can and have died days after from brain hemorrhages not knowing just how serious their injuries were, they could walk, talk, chew bubblegum...etc.. Not saying that's the case here, just saying we don't know if he just got suckered punched & fought back etc... we don't know... that's all. Hope this would be the attitude of any fellow citizen/peer who could end up sitting in a jury box looking at anyone of us. ??? Let's see how this shakes out ...shall we?
    Better to die on our feet than live on our knees! "The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable." -Sun Tzu

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #17 on: February 17, 2014, 08:30:21 pm »
    If I sat in a jury box, certainly I would use my judgement based on the facts presented to me.

My original point was that the term "In fear for your life" seems to be way overused, and I am apathetic when I hear it.  It wasn't so much about this individual incident.

-T.

FreeInAZ

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #18 on: February 17, 2014, 08:36:56 pm »
    Gotcha- makes perfect sense. My family was in town...they used the term "Polar Vortex" so much ...I found myself thinking "Sissies...I stood outside waiting for the school bus as a kid in a foot+ of snow and -20° F wind chills" ... "Man up!"  Then I remembered just how nasty and harsh that cold was...and how happy I was to be wearing shorts & sandals in mid February. ;)

Before their flight home

After
    « Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 09:03:10 pm by FreeInAZ »

N.M.Edmands

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2014, 09:26:35 pm »
    You mean those nice deserted aisles that are perfect for a pesky butt itch...?  Ah crap!
    Oh man :facepalm
    Nat

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement