Username: Password:

Author Topic: Winchester Model 12 Opinions  (Read 2749 times)

SWRZR

Winchester Model 12 Opinions
« on: February 25, 2014, 04:37:25 pm »
I met a gentleman selling a Winchester Model 12.  It was numbers matching, pretty good shape, some blue wear, it did have a 5 digit serial number.  The drawback is it didn't have the original buttstock.  How hard are they to replace and what would be a fair price?  I would like to buy it, but only if I can replace the stock for a reasonable price.  Any thoughts?
U.S. Army Retired
Collector of Old Model Ruger Super Blackhawks
Fan of old Marlins
If you have not done so - Join the NRA today!

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

JesseL

• Sr. Contributor
      • Lambert Gunworks LLC
    Re: Winchester Model 12 Opinions
    « Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 04:44:01 pm »
    If you can find an original buttstock, it should be in the neighborhood of $50-80. I checked Numrich but they're sold out. You'll probably have good luck with an auction site.

Replacing it is easy. The buttstock is held in place by a large bolt under the buttplate. Remove the buttplate, unscrew the bolt, and you're golden.

SWRZR

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 04:39:54 am »
    Thanks Jesse, I looked around last night on the internet and didn't see anything.  I think I am going to pass on this one and wait until I find one original.
    U.S. Army Retired
    Fan of old Marlins

LuckyLeaky

• Administrator
    « Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 05:32:34 am »
    How much is he asking for it?????

Ive been looking for one....can you get a picture of it and post it???

SWRZR

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 06:01:00 am »
    He wanted $500.00, it's on Tucson Backpage if your interested.  Feb 24th, "Guns for Sale"  "Dove Mountain"  Think he is somewhat negotiable, just not what I wanted.  I have no dog in this fight, not my guns, nor do I know the owner, I just met him and took a look at his Shotgun....It is 5 digit serial number - started with 8xxxx as best I recall.
    U.S. Army Retired
    Fan of old Marlins

Ballistic Therapy

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 07:48:04 am »
    Model 12's are good shotguns. To be in the collector range they need to be all original and in very good condition. There are thousands of them out there and most are just shooters unless it is a rare version of it.  $500 is pretty high for a shooter grade shotgun.
    My personal opinion on any collector gun is that if it isn't 100% original it is just a shooter and I will usually walk on by.  If they are refinished or re-blued they can loose as much as 50% or more of there value I don't care how good it looks.

Arizonagunsmith

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 02:41:42 pm »
    Winchester Model 12's were the last of the hand built shotguns made here in the USA. They are one of the finest shotguns made. But the big issue with them is all of the moving parts they have inside. I have the 12 that my dad bought in 1949 and l received at the age of 12. Simmons put a rib on it in the early 70's. It was reblued and has been restocked a few times. The original stock cracked and l put a trap style stock on it.  Two years ago l bought a original style stock and handguard off of Ebay for $50 new. So l would never pass on an opportunity to own something that might be a while before it was right.  Waiting to replace the stock is not something l would hold off buying it.  Jon

SWRZR

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 04:33:27 pm »
    Will now you have me thinking, but I spent my gun allowance on a new Glock 42 instead  ;-D I will have to wait for another Model 12.  Thank you all for the replys.
    U.S. Army Retired
    Fan of old Marlins

Ballistic Therapy

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 06:18:47 pm »
    Heres one that popped up today on backpage if anyone is still interested.
    I don't know anything about it but if it is in good condition $300 isn't a bad deal.

http://tucson.backpage.com/SportsEquipForSale/300-wincherster-model-12-12ga/26778058

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement