Username: Password:

Author Topic: Did ya ever...  (Read 7686 times)

Marx-ism's

• Administrator
  • Why a duck?
Did ya ever...
« on: June 13, 2012, 07:51:31 pm »
just want to call up the CCW unit at DPS and ask them, nicely of course, to MOVE FASTER!!  :baby:

My CCW application has been in their hands for 6 weeks now... and I'm getting impatient!  It's not like I have a need for it at the moment... but for some fool reason I WANT IT NOW! :frusty:
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

Flash

Re: Did ya ever...
    « Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 06:01:26 am »
    Years ago it used to be around 2 months to get it, but I don't know about now.

I felt the same way, then I had to go to Washington D.C. to do a job and guess what...the wife called and said it was there.  I wanted to see it so bad I could taste it but had to wait for amost a week to come home.

Flash

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 01:41:44 pm »
    Mine was about 30 day or so, but that was 5 years ago.

I recently received my renewal letter, seen below.  Some personal info redacted from the header.

-T.

theultimatehic

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 07:29:32 am »
    I've been thinking bout getting my ccw, but other then not having to wait for a background check, what are the benefits of having one.. And does anyone no of classes in the north Phoenix area?
    I may not like what you say, but I'll defend your right to say it!

JesseL

• Sr. Contributor
      • Lambert Gunworks LLC
    « Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 09:52:51 am »
    I've been thinking bout getting my ccw, but other then not having to wait for a background check, what are the benefits of having one.. And does anyone no of classes in the north Phoenix area?

The only other benefits to having a CWP in AZ are:
    • Legally allowed to carry where alcohol is served (providing the establishment isn't posted.
    • Being able to carry concealed when traveling out of state in states that have AZ reciprocity.
    • Possibly getting out of a ticket due to having a 'certified good guy card'.

Flash

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 10:04:33 am »

The only other benefits to having a CWP in AZ are:
    • Legally allowed to carry where alcohol is served (providing the establishment isn't posted.
    • Being able to carry concealed when traveling out of state in states that have AZ reciprocity.
    • Possibly getting out of a ticket due to having a 'certified good guy card'.

And these benefits make it totally worth it to me and Mrs. Flash.  We're now both carrying when I go to Nevada on jobs.

Flash

theultimatehic

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 09:29:26 am »
    Well i don't drink but i go to bars with friends. Would be nice to carry for those times......  Thanks guys
    I may not like what you say, but I'll defend your right to say it!

AzCharlie

• AZCDL Life Member
    « Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 10:16:53 am »
    The powers to be ask that you give them 75 days to send out your permit. Some years back, as stated above, 30 days seem to be the norm.

I'm sure this link has been posted before, but occasionally refreshing the knowledge base is a great thing.

For Az gun laws, and CCW:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/arizona.pdf

For other states:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Classictruckman

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 11:07:45 pm »
    I seriously think that we have one of the best CWPU's in the country - any delay of late has mostly been due to a greater number of applications.
    Idealism is that which precedes experience...

LOC

• Revolver Driver
    • Wish you were here...
    « Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 08:45:43 pm »

I asked a deputy sheriff that I know the same question recently.  His response was this:

"If you're involved in a shooting, the authorities and courts will look at someone who took the time to get their CCW with less skepticism than someone who didn't, even though you don't actually need the license to carry concealed anymore.  It helps to show that you're a responsible gun owner who took the time to learn how and when to use the weapon correctly, instead of being some yahoo who thinks they're a gunslinger in the wild west just because they can stuff a Kel-Tec down their pants."

Makes sense to me.
    Liberals always talk about the best of intentions.  Conservatives just make it happen.  - Andrew Wilkow

RugerDave

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 07:52:58 am »
    SCHOOLS!

In AZ if you do not have a CCW, you CAN NOT be with in 1000 feet of the border perimeter of a school.  Have you ever looked at how many schools there are?  I pass at least three to go to the grocery store and live with in 1000 feet of one.  It is tricky to obey that law and drive through Phoenix with a concealed weapon and no permit.

You may be an honest, upstanding, law abiding citizen, but after Friday Dec 15th, if you get pulled over with in 1000 feet of a school, you are a stark raving mad man with emotional issues because your mamma kicked you off the teat too late.

Get the permit.  It is cheap insurance.  100% upside benefit and 0% downside detractors.
    In other words, "It's all good!"

All heezy for sheezy!   ;)  Always wanted to say that. JK LOL      :rotfl

RugerDave

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 09:29:31 am »
    All heezy for sheezy!   ;)  Always wanted to say that. JK LOL      :rotfl

Yeah...  I'm thinking maybe we just go ahead and make that the last time you do.  Mmm-Kay?   :pfft

:rotfl  All in fun! 

Misfire51

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 05:14:50 pm »
    Renewed mine, sent the $ in July, got my licence in late Oct. And that was a renewel. They said they were totally backed up. Don't know just feel better having it just in case.
    Tony / Mighty Arms

Dark Sky Solutions

• I am Doc
    • Sr. Contributor
    • https://facebook.com/Dark-Sky-Solutions
      • Dark Sky Solutions
    Did ya ever...
    « Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 05:21:14 pm »
    I need to get mine done.  Finding a place to do real finger prints in CA is hard. Everyone here does livescan. The LEOs don't even use real ink anymore.
    Doc

Click our logo above to go to our Website

RugerDave

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #14 on: December 18, 2012, 06:32:24 pm »
    I need to get mine done.  Finding a place to do real finger prints in CA is hard. Everyone here does livescan. The LEOs don't even use real ink anymore.

Where in CA are you?

Dark Sky Solutions

• I am Doc
    • Sr. Contributor
    • https://facebook.com/Dark-Sky-Solutions
      • Dark Sky Solutions
    Did ya ever...
    « Reply #15 on: December 18, 2012, 10:23:58 pm »
    San Diego, it's German

Doc

Click our logo above to go to our Website

Black Wolf CCW

• Facebook: Blackwolf Defense
      • Black Wolf Defense
    « Reply #16 on: December 20, 2012, 04:29:23 pm »
    SCHOOLS!

In AZ if you do not have a CCW, you CAN NOT be with in 1000 feet of the border perimeter of a school.  Have you ever looked at how many schools there are?  I pass at least three to go to the grocery store and live with in 1000 feet of one.  It is tricky to obey that law and drive through Phoenix with a concealed weapon and no permit.

If you live within a 1000 feet of a school like I do nothing is going to be done to you (private property). I am still waiting for an actual case to show me where a person without a permit drove thru a school zone and was cited for this (at least a person not committing a serious crime)......  :facepalm Probably noy going to find one too...... The CCW and school zone deal is no more than a sales tactic by shooting schools to get people to spend money!

The Gun Free School Zones Act of 1990 (18 U.S.C. § 922(q)) states:

(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.

(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm

(i) on private property not part of school grounds;

(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

(iii) that is— (I) not loaded; and (II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;

(iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone;

(v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual;

(vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity; or

(vii) that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school premises is authorized by school authorities.

(3) (A) Except as provided in subparagraph (B), it shall be unlawful for any person, knowingly or with reckless disregard for the safety of another, to discharge or attempt to discharge a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the person knows is a school zone. (B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the discharge of a firearm—

(i) on private property not part of school grounds;

(ii) as part of a program approved by a school in the school zone, by an individual who is participating in the program;

(iii) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in a school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual; or

(iv) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity.

(4) Nothing in this subsection shall be construed as preempting or preventing a State or local government from enacting a statute establishing gun free school zones as provided in this subsection.
    « Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 04:38:27 pm by Black Wolf CCW »
    Black Wolf Defense Firearms Training
    www.azccwclasses.com
    www.blackwolfccw.com
    (623) 694-0377
    Email: info@azccwclasses.com

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement