Username: Password:

Author Topic: Red Dot Vs. Iron Sights  (Read 4932 times)

acetum

• Distance is your friend
  • check your six
Re: Red Dot Vs. Iron Sights
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2012, 08:44:43 AM »
Ill share a war story here just to give other ideas...

for me its all in how you train....

I've used both iron sights and an EOTech... recently I took my EOtech off and sold it, I was gonna get the smaller one to shave some ounces off my rifle, but then never got around to replacing it.

about a month ago we had to clear a trailer.  After entering the front door I instantly realized that I loved just my iron sights because i had such an open platform to look over, nothing was in my way, so I could keep my eyes moving looking for a threat.  The lighting was dim, so the simple act of keeping my eyes moving allowed me to take in all the light that was available and also kept me from getting tunneled.  I think someone said it earlier, at those ranges you really only point shooting,  the threat is so big that you can't help but only look at it and nothing else.

now with that said... I can still shot my weapon system out to 300 yards on irons, and I hit every time.. (so says the steel), just shot what your comfortable with.  Don't knock something until you tried it..

its all in your training....   

/war_story
"To revolt is a natural tendency of life. Even a worm turns against the foot that crushes it. In general, the vitality and relative dignity of an animal can be measured by the intensity of its instinct to revolt." -Bakunin

Coyotesfan97

• Life's short. Bite hard!
  • Administrator
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2012, 10:52:02 AM »
Regardless of the sight system on your long gun you shouldn't be looking through your sights during room clearance and building searches. The majority of the time you'll be at low ready looking over the top of your sights right?  You don't want to trip over the coffee table.  :rotfl

I've worked with iron sights and red dots. I prefer the Aimpoint. But I'm a proponent of setting up your equpment the way it works best for you.

I just did some battery failure training moving and shooting with the Aimpoint off using the front sight centered in the tube. Distances from 3-10 yards moving forwards and back. I was shooting palm sized groups.

One of the guys I was shooting with had to replace the battery in his Aimpoint. He thought it was 10 years using the same battery.

The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.  Thucydides 471BC

"Hey!  Let's be careful out there." Sgt Phil Esterhaus played by Michael Conrad

Guy1az

• Sr. Contributor
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2012, 01:41:27 PM »
Ok I need some help here.  Recently acquired an M4 typs AR and looked at all the "red dot" sights...Aimpoint etc...anyone have any preferences or opinions?
"And when Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer."

870policemag

• Sr. Contributor
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2012, 01:45:00 PM »
I've owned  2 Aimpoints, 2 eotechs and 1 ACOG and so far my favorite optic is the Aimpoint m4s. They're completely parallax free and built like a tank. 
''War is God's way of teaching Americans geography"-Jeff Cooper

threegunman

« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2012, 10:46:00 PM »
I use to have red dots, not a big fan of them.  I love iron sights.  I have girls, they have nail polish, I paint my front sight pink.  So i use a pink dot.  with iron sights.  Works well, really well.  And when i need a touch up, i yell for my girls.  Cheap and very effective.

capcyclone

« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2012, 10:51:56 PM »
I've got an Aimpoint red dot on a Ruger PC-9 that works well, but I've never tried a red dot on any other weapons.  Scopes on my hunting rifles, iron sights on my plinkers.

guardyan_angyl

« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2012, 11:38:49 PM »
I have used both Aimpoints and Trijicon in real world applications.  Personally prefer the red dots due to the fact I can leave both eyes open and have a better field of vision as some on here have already stated.  Of course iron backups are always good to have when Murphy comes calling as he most certainly will when the need arrives.  For my personal rifles I have used the Eotech 552 but am looking at switching towards a Vortex Strike Fire or Primary Arms for budget reasons.  I have several friends who have used the Primary Arms in very practical real world applications and love them.  I seem to like the feel and look of the Vortex but have never used one in practical situations.

AlmightySheep

« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2012, 11:58:37 PM »
Ok I need some help here.  Recently acquired an M4 typs AR and looked at all the "red dot" sights...Aimpoint etc...anyone have any preferences or opinions?
Aimpoint Comp M4 or Trijicon TA31F. That's what I got.
"When there is mutual fear men think twice before they make aggression upon one another."
-Hermocrates of Syracuse

Flash

« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2012, 06:30:21 AM »
Ill share a war story here just to give other ideas...

for me its all in how you train....

I've used both iron sights and an EOTech... recently I took my EOtech off and sold it, I was gonna get the smaller one to shave some ounces off my rifle, but then never got around to replacing it.

about a month ago we had to clear a trailer.  After entering the front door I instantly realized that I loved just my iron sights because i had such an open platform to look over, nothing was in my way, so I could keep my eyes moving looking for a threat.  The lighting was dim, so the simple act of keeping my eyes moving allowed me to take in all the light that was available and also kept me from getting tunneled.  I think someone said it earlier, at those ranges you really only point shooting,  the threat is so big that you can't help but only look at it and nothing else.

now with that said... I can still shot my weapon system out to 300 yards on irons, and I hit every time.. (so says the steel), just shot what your comfortable with.  Don't knock something until you tried it..

its all in your training....   

/war_story

We shot out to 300 Meters to qualify in the Army and yes, you can hit reliably at that distance with iron sights.

Guy1az

• Sr. Contributor
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2012, 09:40:32 AM »
Good input guys ..I will have to do some research on what you suggested...we shall see.
"And when Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer."

Guy1az

• Sr. Contributor
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2012, 02:27:14 PM »
I looked at both Aimpoints and EO Techs today...I like them both.  The EO Tech ..I really like the double circle where the aimpoint just has the single dot...I like how the eotech fits onto the rail...seems to fit in more of a fluid way.  But it appears the aimpoint is newer technology..more hit tech I think...I shoved my hands in pockets and walked out since I could not make up my mind.

870policemag

• Sr. Contributor
« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2012, 02:36:43 PM »
I'd go for the Aimpoint man, you wont be disappointed. Which models did you check out by the way?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 02:47:45 PM by 870policemag »
''War is God's way of teaching Americans geography"-Jeff Cooper

altsehastiin

« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2012, 02:55:19 PM »
I have an older eotech 551 that uses the n-type batteries.

I also have an aimpoint m2.

I prefer the Eotech reticle, but I prefer the aimpoint overall because the eotech eats batteries.  It drains current from the batteries, even when the unit is not on.  I called Eotech customer service and they recommended that the unit not be stored with batteries installed.  That's dumb.

Now, I understand that Eotech has probably fixed that problem with the later models, and since the newer ones run on AA batteries, it may not be that a big a deal.

My next red dot is going to be an aimpoint micro H-1, the "hunter" version of the T-1.  It's about a $100 cheaper, but its not submersible, which is OK by me given that I'm not a Navy SEAL...

Guy1az

• Sr. Contributor
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2012, 05:27:20 PM »
The aimpoint was the Patrol Rifle Optic and the Eotech was the l3 516.a75 and the 517 a65.  One of the Eotechs  had the batteries parallel to the barrel and the other Eotech had a shorter front base with the batteries at right angle to the barrel.  First time I have ever looked at these sights so I am not too well versed in their nomenclature.

Guy1az

• Sr. Contributor
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2012, 09:11:15 PM »
I think I am going to go with the aimpoint patrol rifle optic.

red headed stranger

« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2012, 06:08:48 PM »
I think I am going to go with the aimpoint patrol rifle optic.

I personally think that the Aimpoint PRO is the best bang-for-your-buck red dot out there.  You get Aimpoint battery life, a 2 MOA dot, a quality, easily detachable mount that returns to zero quite well, in addition to allowing a roughly lower 1/3 co-witness.   All of that for ~$400 is a tremendous value. 

Guy1az

• Sr. Contributor
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2012, 07:10:55 PM »
Well good as I bought unit todsy.

acetum

• Distance is your friend
  • check your six
« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2012, 11:41:53 AM »

We shot out to 300 Meters to qualify in the Army and yes, you can hit reliably at that distance with iron sights.

exactly..

in LE world, they've imposed policy.... pshhh we have to identify threats unassisted by glass... otherwise call SWAT (que SWAT music)

« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 11:44:03 AM by acetum »
"To revolt is a natural tendency of life. Even a worm turns against the foot that crushes it. In general, the vitality and relative dignity of an animal can be measured by the intensity of its instinct to revolt." -Bakunin