Username: Password:

Author Topic: Worth the wait or will a Judge work?  (Read 13114 times)

Starguco

Worth the wait or will a Judge work?
« on: April 30, 2014, 08:43:17 pm »
http://arizona.backpage.com/SportsEquipForSale/600-super-shorty-12ga/27571791

Well once again I wonder is this worth buying and doing the wait or just one more I like it due I really need it? :hmm
Will the manufactures of the judge make a 12 gauge version one day?  :shrug
There is no such thing as Overkill. Die Lehrer Klaus Horstkamp.

"We must reject the idea every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each indiviual is accountable for his actions." Ronald Reagan

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

freeman1685

• Contributor
    Re: Worth the wait or will a Judge work?
    « Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 09:05:01 pm »
    Is that thing even legal?  Or does it require some special FFL/Tax Stamp?
    Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education or by legislation.  Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid.  But stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death, there is no appeal, and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.  RAH

Arizonagunsmith

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 09:06:48 pm »
    Thats a Serbu built in Florida. They sell for just over $1100 and transfer for $5.00 as AOW.  Safety Harbor makes one too.

freeman1685

• Contributor
    « Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 09:09:03 pm »
    Refresh my memory...  AOW?
    Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education or by legislation.  Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid.  But stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death, there is no appeal, and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.  RAH

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 09:36:34 pm »
    Ant Other Weapon. Not a shotgun, not a pistol, not a machine gun, so it's "Any Other"
    Heat it till it's hot, then beat it with a hammer until it's the shape you want.    Blacksmith's advice that works for pretty much everything in life

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 09:39:25 pm »
    $600+$5 tax = good deal in my opinion. one of those would be great on the motorcycle...
    Heat it till it's hot, then beat it with a hammer until it's the shape you want.    Blacksmith's advice that works for pretty much everything in life

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 09:59:01 pm »
    2+1           2  3/4   or 3" shells

freeman1685

• Contributor
    « Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 10:07:34 pm »
    So it still has to go through a FFL for the 5$ transfer?  No "Private Party" sales?

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 10:14:15 pm »
    Yep

freeman1685

• Contributor
    « Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 10:23:51 pm »
    Damn.  :-(

freeman1685

• Contributor
    « Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 06:56:34 am »
    Oh, I don't know.  I think with the right three rounds, and some skill at a Tactical Reload, that'd make a nice HD gun.

The problem I have with it is that $5 registration... er, ah I mean transfer fee.  That's an item I'd prefer Uncle Sugar didn't know I had.

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #11 on: May 01, 2014, 07:15:46 am »
    I am of the opinion that 3 rounds of 3"  00 or 000 buckshot would be plenty in many situations. The flash and boom alone would tend to deter any additional attackers to the one you just turned into jello on the wall.....

freeman1685

• Contributor
    « Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 07:19:18 am »
    I am of the opinion that 3 rounds of 3"  00 or 000 buckshot would be plenty in many situations. The flash and boom alone would tend to deter any additional attackers to the one you just turned into jello on the wall.....

That's my thinking.   :thumbup

I'm also thinking that might benefit from a trip to VangComp.
    « Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 07:21:54 am by freeman1685 »

Dark Sky Solutions

• I am Doc
    • Sr. Contributor
    • https://facebook.com/Dark-Sky-Solutions
      • Dark Sky Solutions
    « Reply #13 on: May 01, 2014, 07:43:11 am »

Agreed but...

Why not get a Dark Sky Solutions non-tax stamp AOW built on a moss berg 500 or 590 with a 14-15" barrel and a birds head pistol grip?  It is over 26" in length so no tax stamp is required. Lol

Ok end shameless Dark sky solutions Ad/Plug. Lmao
    Doc

Click our logo above to go to our Website

Arizonagunsmith

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2014, 07:48:00 am »

Actually buckshot for home defense is not all that great. It over penetrates walls and such. #5 or #6's are the best.
    I actually made several short shotguns like that of Mark Serbu's for Peoria PD for breeching doors. with breecher chokes in the barrel.

To drill holes to vent the gas ie: a compensator, would be a waste of money due to short burn of gases to begin with. The purpose of such a shotgun for PD work in cars and entry teams is where the is excels in its duty. Recoil is the same as any pistol gripped shotgun and yeah flash is horrible  but it is intimidating to a perp.

And it is 2+1 for ammo.

Jon

Ballistic Therapy

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2014, 07:52:25 am »

Why not get a Dark Sky Solutions non-tax stamp AOW built on a moss berg 500 or 590 with a 14-15" barrel and a birds head pistol grip?  It is over 26" in length so no tax stamp is required. Lol

Doesn't it have to have an 18 inch barrel and also be 26 inches overall length to be purchased without a tax stamp ?

Dark Sky Solutions

• I am Doc
    • Sr. Contributor
      • Dark Sky Solutions
    « Reply #16 on: May 01, 2014, 07:54:04 am »

Doesn't it have to have an 18 inch barrel and also be 26 inches overall length to be purchased without a tax stamp ?

If it was purchased with a pistol grip only there is no requirement it has an 18 inch barrel the only requirement is that is over 26 inches so it is not easily concealable.
    Doc

freeman1685

• Contributor
    « Reply #17 on: May 01, 2014, 08:16:29 am »
    Actually buckshot for home defense is not all that great. It over penetrates walls and such. #5 or #6's are the best.
    I actually made several short shotguns like that of Mark Serbu's for Peoria PD for breeching doors. with breecher chokes in the barrel.

To drill holes to vent the gas ie: a compensator, would be a waste of money due to short burn of gases to begin with. The purpose of such a shotgun for PD work in cars and entry teams is where the is excels in its duty. Recoil is the same as any pistol gripped shotgun and yeah flash is horrible  but it is intimidating to a perp.

And it is 2+1 for ammo.

Jon

VangComp doesn't drill any holes.  Uncle Hans does beautimus things to shotgun barrels.

Here's his website:   http://www.vangcomp.com/

*Edit* :facepalm I just looked at his site, they do drill holes (But that's new since the last time I looked), but that's not all they do.
    « Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 09:03:45 am by freeman1685 »

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #18 on: May 01, 2014, 11:13:35 am »
    Agreed but...

What's your price on those Doc? I've been wanting one for a while, and do they come with an ATF letter? Also, do you have layaway?????

Dark Sky Solutions

• I am Doc
    • Sr. Contributor
      • Dark Sky Solutions
    « Reply #19 on: May 01, 2014, 11:18:56 am »

What's your price on those Doc? I've been wanting one for a while, and do they come with an ATF letter? Also, do you have layaway?????

Pricing depends. If someone has a PGO Shotgun I can build one up for cheaper. If you want me to build it up from the ground I will get you pricing and PM you.

I don't have a specific ATF letter for my builds but I do have copies of the ATF letters for builds like mine stating the legality of them and the precedence. After My SOT is active I am planning on sending in my personal(15" barrel, 27" OAL) for them to give me my determination letter. Just in case they decide to change the precedence I don't want to have them charge me with manufacturing something without a SOT, lol.

Another way is to buy the 500 or 590 from me with the birds head grip then have the barrel cut down or DIY.

I will also be selling just the grip for the DIY guys and gals around when I get more in stock.
    Doc

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #20 on: May 01, 2014, 11:24:57 am »
    Cool. Is there a birds head grip available for the New England/H&R single shots available? I'd love to get the cut down stock off of mine. Barrel on that one is 18.25" and stock length makes it legal, but a birdshead would be more comfortable, IMO

870policemag

• Administrator
    « Reply #21 on: May 01, 2014, 11:50:15 am »
    It's funny that the birds head grip came up. I installed one on a customers 500 this morning. As for that sexy looking Serbu? If I had your wallet I'd buy it. I heard that Hans Vang can build some pretty accurate door knockers. He lengthens the forcing cone which stops all of the shot from rapidly smashing against the bore and deforming. That keeps the pellets or shot well rounded and more accurate.
    Bullets are the only things that do their job only after they're fired.

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #22 on: May 01, 2014, 01:05:37 pm »
    I've kind of wanted a Serbu Super Shorty for a long time.  It'd be nothing more than a toy though, so I agve a hard time justifying the expense.

You can briefly see Jamie Foxx go to work with one in The Kingdom.

(I know, I know... no rear sight on the M4.  I don't care.  There's any number of plausible explanations.  Still a fantastic movie and battle scene regardless.)

-T.

870policemag

• Administrator
    « Reply #23 on: May 01, 2014, 01:12:11 pm »
    It was also used briefly in the movie Crank.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Crank#Serbu_Super_Shorty
    Bullets are the only things that do their job only after they're fired.

Arizonagunsmith

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2014, 02:10:19 pm »
    VangComp doesn't drill any holes.  Uncle Hans does beautimus things to shotgun barrels.

Here's his website:   http://www.vangcomp.com/

*Edit* :facepalm I just looked at his site, they do drill holes (But that's new since the last time I looked), but that's not all they do.

LOL LOL well the site page you sent me to shows the barrel drill ported.

As far as lengthing the forcing cone, do the math. 7" barrel - 5" to 5.5"  which is chamber length plus the factory forcing cone, doesnt leave much space for the process to really be much benefit. The amount of standard bore left is what one should have to tame the shot column into some form of a pattern.  The shortys are not meant to be much more than a handful of firepower for a LEO or homeowner in the middle of the night.   Jon

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement