Username: Password:

Author Topic: Questions about Marlin Lever Rifles  (Read 3526 times)

brandyspaw

• Sr. Contributor
Questions about Marlin Lever Rifles
« on: June 04, 2014, 07:41:59 pm »
I've got a question for the Marlin experts here.  When exactly did the Marlin lever guns drop off in their quality?

I had always thought that Marlins having the JM stamp on the barrel meant it was generally good to go.  However, lately some research turned up that isn't always true.  Some forums have posted that the JM stamp doesn't guarantee the gun was made at the old Marlin factory or that the guarantee is decent quality. Some also say that the quality was declining the last year at the old plant before the move and that Remington even continued to use left over JM stamped barrels (made at the old factory) in their new guns built at Ilion after the move.

So how early do you have to go to get a good Marlin in 30/30. 45/70. 44 mag, etc?
"When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson

"Most of my money has gone for guns, cars and guitars.  The rest I just wasted."

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

alman

Re: Questions about Marlin Lever Rifles
    « Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 08:39:16 pm »
    Marlin was purchased in 2007 . The New Haven plant was closed in 2010 . Operations were moved to Ilion New York & Mayfield Kentucky . Some existing parts were shipped to these locals & used until they were gone ( Including JM stamped barrels) . Quality control started to become an issue as early as 2006 .
    As far as Marlin lever guns go , you can't go wrong with any thing produced before 1983 . That was the year that Marlin started using the cross bolt safety . That's not to say that the rifles produced between say 1984-2005 are bad . Its just that most Marlin collectors prefer the older models before the lawyers got involved .

Al
    "THE EDGE, there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over"   
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Harm

• Devils Advocate Recoil Junkie Loctite Applicator
    • Administrator
    « Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 08:53:41 pm »
    By a lot of accounts while the new Marlins aren't as polished etc as the old - they are decent rifles
    I know where my towel is.

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 09:09:54 pm »
    I've owned and shot Marlins from the 1960's through the present day.  I agree that the best of them were the pre-crossbolt safety guns.  You began to see the quality of the fit and finish deteriorate after that time.  The quality of the wood became a bit spotty as well.  Once in a while a really nice one would slip through or they would pull out all the stops for a new product rollout ( witness the excellent but soon cancelled MR-7 bolt gun ) but the older guns were and are the standouts.  I basically quit looking at new Marlins after the late 1990's. 

I honestly hope Marlin can regain their former status.  They have a huge following and it would be nice to see an old line American manufacturer back in the saddle again.
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

ItWasntMe

• Known Agitator
    • Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 09:23:19 pm »
    Basically there's two points people say caused a drop in quality.
    1.) The introduction of the cross-bolt safety.
    2.) The buyout by Remington/Cerberus/Freedom Group.
    Have you considered the possibility that pathological narcissism is genetic?

alman

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 09:28:46 pm »
    Harm ,
    I agree . I have seen some very nice 336s ,  39a s & model 60s from recent years . I have also personally fondled all three of the fore mentioned models that had lose stocks , less then steller metal to wood fit & finish & sights off by 10 degrees . It seems like it was hit & miss for several years .
    I would not steer anyone away from a new Marlin . I would suggest very close inspection of a new rifle before purchase . I also would not purchase any new Marlin lever gun online (sight unseen) .
    I personally will take a nice older model over a new one even if its the same price or higher for certain models .
    Al
    "THE EDGE, there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over"   
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Harm

• Devils Advocate Recoil Junkie Loctite Applicator
    • Administrator
    « Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 11:18:57 pm »
    Well fwiw it does seem like Marlin is honoring the warranty and fixing problems.  In my mind thsys worth the risk.  If I find an 1895 GBL 45-70 for under $700 that may get picked up regardless. 

Besides they are still a great base from which to polish & even send in for custom work.
    I know where my towel is.

Intel6

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 10:29:48 am »
    I have been interested in a 1895 SBL for some time and upon researching them I discovered the quality issues.  It concerned me but when I finally had the opportunity to buy a SBL I looked it over and saw no glaring issues. I guess the wood could have been fitted better? bit it certainly wasn't terrible and keeping me from buying it.  I liked it so much I just went out last week and picked up a new 336BL whihc I looked over and was happy with. So I guess as others have said, look into them but make sure you can physically look at them before buying.

Here is a pic of them.  The 336BL is on the left and it is basically the GBL but in 30-30.  On the right is my SBL with the Leupold scout scope with detach rings.

brandyspaw

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 10:48:26 am »
    So it looks like, unless I can get a smoking deal on one, its best to shoot for a pre cross bolt safety gun. Thanks for all the input.
    "When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    Thomas Jefferson

"Most of my money has gone for guns, cars and guitars.  The rest I just wasted."

Bouncle

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 09:01:52 pm »
    IIRC, subtract the first two numbers of the serial from 2000, and you'll have year of manufacture

brandyspaw

• Sr. Contributor
    Re: Questions about Marlin Lever Rifles--Now with an update
    « Reply #10 on: June 07, 2014, 10:32:51 am »
    I just found this article today about Marlin's current situation and it sure isn't pretty. (Its from The Truth About Guns with the link below.)  All I can say its pretty sad when their own Director of Public Affairs openly admits they screwed up so badly that they opened the door for their competition to take their market share.

Source:
    http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/06/robert-farago/marlins-back-and-its-bad-i-mean-good-i-mean-well-see/#more-322649

Back in the day, you had to read a gun review very carefully to pick-up any hint that a firearm was a POS. Thankfully, internet gun forums arrived to end the information blackout. The Truth About Guns has done its best to honor, continue and build upon the forums’ tradition of no-holds-barred product reviews. When The Freedom Group bought Marlin, when the storied brand fell from grace like a rock dropped off the the Golden Gate Bridge, TTAG was there . . .

On May 6, 2011, we ran an article on an unfired Marlin 1894 whose stock split in half. The quality control problems at Marlin went from bad to worse to completely unacceptable – to the point where Marlin modifiers like Grizzly Custom Guns now charge customers a premium to breathe on post-Freedom Group rifles (to pay for rectifying factory errors).

From time to time we’ve had glimpses of the doofuses (doofi?) behind the curtain and reported the facts back to you. Now, thanks to an article entitled Marlin Makes a Comeback in the National Shooting Sports Foundation’s publication shotbusiness.org, we’ve got an inside, intimate look at Marlin’s cataclysmic decline. As Warren Zevon sang, it ain’t that pretty at all.

To say we made a couple of mistakes is a bit of an understatement,” says Teddy Novin, director of public affairs. “We opened the door for Rossi and Henry, but with our new production process for the receiver in a side-byside
     comparison, there is no comparison. We’re working hard to bring it back.”

Part of that hard work was recovering from a poorly planned [2010] move from Marlin’s longstanding manufacturing plant in North Haven, Connecticut, to Remington-operated factories in Ilion, New York, and Mayfield, Kentucky . . . While the craftsmen at Marlin were first-rate, the manufacturing facilities in North Haven were less than great. Machines were held together with what amounted to little more than Band-Aids, creating inefficient and costly production processes . . .

“We were dealing with equipment that was old—in some cases, more than 60 years old. Some of the equipment was in such bad shape that sheet-metal dams had been built around the machines to keep fluids from leaking out onto the floor.”

Just four hours away, in Ilion, Remington’s factory had some open floor space where it could move Marlin, keep it autonomous from Remington [!], and yet improve efficiency. “We realized it would be a challenging move,” says Fink. “It required moving equipment, setting it up in a new location, and training people to build these rifles.

Old equipment does not travel well. Once this equipment was moved to Ilion, many of the pieces were running at a rate that was even less efficient than before.”

Compounding the difficulties, Remington discovered dimensioned drawings of Marlin’s iconic rifles did not exist. The plans at North Haven had simply been passed down through the generations. Many of these workers hadn’t made the move to Ilion, so much of that inherent knowledge had been lost. “We were training a new workforce to build these rifles,” says Fink. “We have a great workforce in Ilion with gunmaking talent, but they had never built lever-action rifles before, so there was learning curve.” . . .

To save Marlin from imploding, Remington invested both dollars and manpower in a multifaceted approach to achieve the kind of quality that had slipped during the transition. From a manufacturing standpoint, the company has set up a stand-alone Marlin factory within the Ilion plant, with its own designated managers, workforce, and assemblers, people who are committed and invested in the Marlin brand.

On the product side, Marlin reduced its offerings from 29 catalog lever-gun models down to 18 . . . The SKU reduction allowed the factory to focus on the rifles they had a greater ability to produce on a consistent basis, which tended to be the highest-volume offerings. Plans call for rifles that were suspended to make their way back into the line as the manufacturing process works outs its kinks. “We hoped to do that in late 2012, however we were not as far along as we would have liked to have been,” says Fink. “This process was very painful for me, as it would be for anyone who is passionate about rifles.”

At the same time lines were being reduced, R&D engineers started a project to complete three-dimensional drawings of all the parts. Meanwhile, production engineers were evaluating what new modern equipment would be necessary once they knew the exact dimensions that would be coming off the machine.

That is one sorry tale of corporate mismanagement. And there’s no getting around it: Marlin should have shut down manufacturing completely during this “transition.” The company has done major damage to the brand by selling thousands of crap guns. Anyway . . .

“We have now completed these dimensional drawings for the 336 line and 1895 line, since they are the most similar,” says Fink. “This year, we will also be in the same position on the 1894 line. New equipment for these lines has been purchased and is operational. We have seen great improvement over the year, and we continue to focus on further improvements.”

For 2014, Marlin is reintroducing four suspended offerings, including two .338 Marlin Express rifles, the 1895 Cowboy, and the .444 Marlin. The company is also introducing a Limited Edition series, with the first rifle being a 336 Limited featuring a high-grade walnut stock, high-polish blued metal with some light scroll engraving, and the Marlin horse and rider in 24-carat gold on the left receiver panel. Future plans call for a new introduction to the series each year, with changes in engraving patterns, model, and overall configuration.

Right. Gussying-up a gun of questionable quality will rescue Marlin from it’s ten-foot-pole exclusion zone amongst knowledgeable consumers. In fact, you have to wonder if it’s too late for Marlin. Can the brand survive four years of cranking out dreadful firearms, especially with Henry Repeating Rifles eating its breakfast, lunch and dinner?

Maybe. Lest we forget, Mercedes – once “engineered like no other car in the world” – released some truly miserable models in its brand extension wilderness-wandering days – and came back. The Marlin name is at least as strong. But millennials aren’t as brand faithful as their predecessors, and time is running out. We’ll contact the company for a T&E gun, or buy one on your behalf, and report back.
    Thomas Jefferson

alman

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2014, 08:03:42 pm »
    Sad state of affairs .
    This is why you don't see a whole lot of pre cross bolt safety models on the market these days .
    Get em while / when you can ...........
    -Hunter S. Thompson

brandyspaw

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #12 on: June 08, 2014, 09:52:06 pm »
    This is why you don't see a whole lot of pre cross bolt safety models on the market these days .
    Get em while / when you can ...........

And why, when you do see them, they're almost twice what they sold for a few years ago.
    Thomas Jefferson

tiger1

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 02:42:33 pm »
    I had a 1997 1895 45-70 that I recently gave to my oldest son.  That rifle was as slick handling as ones I had in the 1970s and the wood was outstanding as was the fit and finish.  I like nice looking walnut.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement