Username: Password:

Author Topic: IF you could only have one rifle..  (Read 14729 times)

JesseL

• Sr. Contributor
    • Lambert Gunworks LLC
Re: IF you could only have one rifle..
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2014, 12:10:30 pm »
If I could only have one - I'd still endeavor to have 30+  :-P

In the spirit of the question though, I'd probably go with my AK. I can hit well with it, I can afford to have a lot of ammo on hand, it's very reliable, it should take down any game I'd likely run across at reasonable ranges, etc... Most of the stuff I might need a rifle for I can do with the AK.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

Misfire51

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #26 on: July 27, 2014, 01:36:22 pm »
     It would have to be my Mini14 tactical. :thumbup
    Tony / Mighty Arms

ItWasntMe

• Known Agitator
    • Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #27 on: July 27, 2014, 02:32:38 pm »
    If I could only have one - I'd still endeavor to have 30+  :-P
    In the spirit of the question though, I'd probably go with my AK. [...]
    You're scary good/accurate with it too.
    Have you considered the possibility that pathological narcissism is genetic?

870policemag

• Administrator
    « Reply #28 on: July 27, 2014, 03:06:58 pm »
    What would it be? Keep in mind it would be both for protection AND for getting food. Just one for both purposes, what would you choose?

I'm still confused about this one rifle situation. :hmm Are we picking one rifle to keep in the house for protection and for hunts or are we picking a SHTF, post-apocalyptic, game getting defensive/offensive rifle?
    Bullets are the only things that do their job only after they're fired.

coyotesfan97

• Paws before boots!
    • Administrator
    « Reply #29 on: July 27, 2014, 03:10:45 pm »
    I still need to put a good 1x4 variable scope on it but I'd probably choose my DSA58.

(Belgian Malinois optional)
    The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.  Thucydides 471BC

"Hey!  Let's be careful out there." Sgt Phil Esterhaus played by Michael Conrad

BanxJ502

• Contributor
    « Reply #30 on: July 27, 2014, 03:33:20 pm »
    I'm still confused about this one rifle situation. :hmm Are we picking one rifle to keep in the house for protection and for hunts or are we picking a SHTF, post-apocalyptic, game getting defensive/offensive rifle?

Hadnt really thought about that? I guess just in general, regardless of the reason. Just one rifle for all scenarios possible, i know that it is a pretty wide spectrum, just a rifle for defense/offense & hunting, basically an all around do it all type of thing, so caliber is a big part along with reliability, ammo availability etc.

armoredman

• Contributor
    « Reply #31 on: July 27, 2014, 03:33:56 pm »
    If limited by LAW to one rifle, probably the CZ 527 CSR. I use the following poster of it deliberately...

That is if we are limited by law to one rifle, I would be willing to bet that by that time "they" have already outlawed semi auto detachable magazine rifles. This owuld do good for most game out here, and is much fun to shoot. The bolt can still be worked quickly enough to get a second shot off if used in HD, and is short enough to be handy inside a dwelling. Downside, of course the caliber would over penetrate walls/etc.

If in a fantasy scenario like TEOTWAWKI, Zombie Apocolypse, etc., this would be my choice, my SA vz-58.

The answer to "why" for both picks is easy - it's what I have.

anm2_man

• Contributor
    « Reply #32 on: July 27, 2014, 03:47:24 pm »
    all right I'll throw another variable.  For hunting + Long Distance + close quarters + knock down power + small / big game.

TA TA:

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around, and smart people are reloading."

870policemag

• Administrator
    « Reply #33 on: July 27, 2014, 03:50:41 pm »
    all right I'll throw another variable.  For hunting + Long Distance + close quarters + knock down power + small / big game.

TA TA:

You win :thumbup That rifle would cover all bases and if you happened to run into CF97 you guys could swap ammo and mags.

Bullets are the only things that do their job only after they're fired.

JesseL

• Sr. Contributor
      • Lambert Gunworks LLC
    « Reply #34 on: July 27, 2014, 03:51:47 pm »
    You're scary good/accurate with it too.

That's exactly the kind of flattery I like to hear. Is everyone else taking notes?

;-D

ItWasntMe

• Known Agitator
    • Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #35 on: July 27, 2014, 03:52:27 pm »
     :rotfl
    Have you considered the possibility that pathological narcissism is genetic?

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #36 on: July 27, 2014, 03:56:45 pm »
    Feh.... I'm just as good.  And humble too.  :coffee

-T.

AHOLDUU

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2014, 04:10:49 pm »

TA TA:

How is that RFB?  I've heard mixed things about it. 

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #38 on: July 27, 2014, 04:32:01 pm »
    One rifle?  :blink   Makes me queasy just thinking about it.  I guess it would have to be a British Enfield in .303  .  It would really suck not having a .22 though.    :facepalm   
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

brandyspaw

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #39 on: July 27, 2014, 08:42:22 pm »
    I thought about it but I just can't seem to make a choice. It's like choosing your favorite child or sibling.

If push came to shove I know I'd still have to squirrel away at least 2 to 3 rifles. The one that came out for show "as my only rifle" would likely be my short Remington LTR in 308. But there'd be a couple more hiding somewhere.
    "When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    Thomas Jefferson

"Most of my money has gone for guns, cars and guitars.  The rest I just wasted."

TheCol.U.S.M.C.

• Contributor
    « Reply #40 on: July 27, 2014, 10:39:28 pm »
    I agree. I think I would cheat and have more then one. AR15 SR25 clone. 10/22 and weatherby .270wsm.

It's too hard to pick one. I would have to say AR15 with 3 uppers 5.56mm .300blk .22lr

anm2_man

• Contributor
    « Reply #41 on: July 28, 2014, 06:23:46 am »
    How is that RFB?  I've heard mixed things about it.

The only PIA is the gas setting.  If you only shoot one type of ammo, then set it and forget it, but if you have a variety (as I do), you have to change the settings and if you don't it will break parts or not cycle.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around, and smart people are reloading."

AHOLDUU

« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2014, 11:44:48 am »
    The only PIA is the gas setting.  If you only shoot one type of ammo, then set it and forget it, but if you have a variety (as I do), you have to change the settings and if you don't it will break parts or not cycle.

I heard the gas adjustment was a PIA.  A lot say that it is real confusing due to the amount of settings and Kel Tec doesn't provide much guidance.  Still it's a cool weapon system.

Guy1az

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #43 on: July 28, 2014, 03:08:45 pm »
    I saw an Enfield mentioned and one pictured...and that just made me smile.

anm2_man

• Contributor
    « Reply #44 on: July 28, 2014, 04:18:35 pm »
    I heard the gas adjustment was a PIA.  A lot say that it is real confusing due to the amount of settings and Kel Tec doesn't provide much guidance.  Still it's a cool weapon system.

Its pretty easy to do, but it takes some ammo.  The deal is with 1 round in a mag if the gas system is set correctly, your bolt will hold open after firing.  pretty simple.   One weekend I spent 3 hours and documented every different ammo that I shoot.  From S.A., Port, Wolf, Custom ammo from Jim Haak, Mex Port, Lake City Remanufactured stuff from Howie, POF, and my own reloads.  The gas setting range from 26 to 13. 

So pick an ammo - I'm good to go.

But as a battle rifle, its a no go.  But I do have to say if the gas system is correctly set, this gun shoots with the same recoil of a .223 rifle. 

Which means your shoulder is spared vs other .308 rifles.

Arizonagunsmith

« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2014, 04:24:33 pm »
    As its similar to the FNFAL in design, this was taken from the FNFAL Files.
    -------------------
    BASIC FAL OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS - PLEASE READ IF YOU HAVE JUST PURCHASED A FAL RIFLE OR HAVE FORGOTTEN HOW TO MAINTAIN YOUR FIREARM, THESE ARE THINGS THAT YOU SHOULD KNOW
    FAL GAS SETTING
    The purpose of the gas regulator adjustment is to ensure correct functioning of the weapon, with maximum gas exhaust, or rather minimum gas intake necessary to operate the rifle efficiently, without causing undue wear on the moving parts.
    1. Method of adjustment
    (IMPORTANT: GAS PLUG SHOULD BE UP IN THE LETTER "A" OR LINE "|" POSITION FOR AUTO OPERATION)
    Methods of gas regulator adjustment may vary according to individuals, but we suggest the following procedure:
    a. Fit an empty magazine on the rifle.
    b. All firing is then effected by inserting the cartridges the chamber, one by one, through the ejection opening.
    c. The correct setting is determined by the holding open device engaging, or failing to engage, the mechanism.
    Turning the gas regulator to the left (anti-clockwise) causes the opposite effect: gas escape is increased and the balance available to work the piston is decreased. By a system of "clicks" and engagement of the gas regulator spring, the regulator has 13 different positions (12 "clicks" to open fully). To make setting in any given position easier, figures are engraved on the gas regulator, the figure 1 corresponding to the completely closed position and one figure for every 2 "clicks" opening.
    Example: when the figure 5 is opposite the gas hole, the gas regulation corresponds to 8 "clicks".
    2. Operations
    Operation 1.
    Starting with the gas regulator sleeve fully screwed against the gas block (fig. 23). unscrew the sleeve one turn so that the figure "7" on the sleeve is in line with the axis of the rifle (fig. 24); this is the fully open position of the gas regulator sleeve and, when a round is fired, causes a short recoil (holding open device fails to engage the mechanism).

Operation 2.
    Screw the gas regulator sleeve forward click by click and fire a round after each adjustment, until the holding open device engages the mechanism.

Operation 3.
    Verify this adjustment by firing several rounds single shot by the method mentioned above.

Operation 4.
    If any shot results in a short recoil, repeat operation 3, after closing the gas regulator sleeve by one click.

Operation 5.
    If necessary, repeat operation 4, until 5 consecutive rounds give correct functioning.

Operation 6.
    Correct setting is now determined, but it is always advisable to allow a safety margin and screw the gas regulator sleeve forward by two further clicks.
    N.B. If the special spanner (fig 25) is not available, adjustment can be made with the nose of a cartridge (fig 26), or even by hand.

--------------------
    Jon
    « Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 04:47:16 pm by Arizonagunsmith »

Son of Jared

• Contributor
    « Reply #46 on: July 31, 2014, 08:46:32 pm »
    Feh.... I'm just as good.  And humble too.  :coffee

-T.

Yup, you got it all over Jesse.  Maybe we need a brown nosing smiley.   ;-D
    All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force... We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent Mind. This Mind is the matrix of all matter.

Max Planck

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #47 on: August 03, 2014, 12:56:41 am »
    Yup, you got it all over Jesse.  Maybe we need a brown nosing smiley.   ;-D

I'm somewhat surprised that he hasn't yet pointed out my atrocious record in competition against him.  I think I've won like only once or twice in more than a dozen attempts, many of which were heavily slanted in my favor.   :doh

-T.

hermer11

« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2020, 10:08:50 am »
    the mossberg 590 with extended tube and barrel is easily balance for both

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #49 on: August 12, 2020, 11:40:28 am »
    But not technically a rifle as per the OP.   I think there is some merit to making a shotgun the long gun of choice in many situations but that's for a different thread.  What would be your choice if you had to choose only one rifle? 
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement