Username: Password:

Author Topic: Craigslist pot deal leads to fatal shooting  (Read 27395 times)

Thernlund

• Administrator
  • AZGO Founder
Re: Craigslist pot deal leads to fatal shooting
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2014, 08:49:21 pm »
I don't care if people are non-productive couch potatoes.  I only care if my tax dollars go to supporting them. 

That is a different discussion though.  The question of what to do with freeloaders extends WAY beyond weed.  Wastes of skin come in all flavors, even sober ones.

-T.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

Dark Sky Solutions

• I am Doc
    • Sr. Contributor
    • https://facebook.com/Dark-Sky-Solutions
      • Dark Sky Solutions
    « Reply #26 on: September 15, 2014, 09:27:12 pm »

I don't care if people are non-productive couch potatoes.  I only care if my tax dollars go to supporting them. 

That is a different discussion though.  The question of what to do with freeloaders extends WAY beyond weed.  Wastes of skin come in all flavors, even sober ones.

-T.
    I agree with you. If people want to be that way then let them.

On the other side of the coin I know plenty of people who smoke or eat THC for various ailments and just for fun. They are very productive in their personal lives as well as their professional and social interactions.
    Not all marijuana users are the stereotypical "pot head"

PS I don't use it because it's illegal.
    Doc

Click our logo above to go to our Website

Kronos

• Han shot first!
    « Reply #27 on: September 15, 2014, 11:21:16 pm »
    I don't think I've ever heard of a single person who said "I'd like to smoke pot but I don't because it's illegal."
    PS I don't use it because it's illegal.
    I tried smoking (tobacco) after I had turned 18. I didn't mind the smell, but I hated the taste. No longer interested.
    I tried drinking and going to bars with friends after I had turned 21. Being drunk was boring, and I didn't like not having full control of myself. Many drunk people are also incredibly annoying, and I don't like being around them (or people in general, really). No longer interested.
    I've never even tried weed because......... it's illegal. :shocked Although admittedly, I likely wouldn't be interested in it past experimentation regardless, for the same reasons why I'm no longer interested in drinking.

I went to a private high school in Maryland. The students and faculty there are generally quite progressive, which typically meant students were more open to the idea of trying marijuana, among other things. But plenty of them were also aware of the current social climate we live in, and what smoking a little weed could potentially do to their careers in the long run. (I think the fact that each year cost ~$11k made them more conscious of their decisions than most kids our age.) Hearing "I'd like to try pot but I won't because it's currently illegal" was not an uncommon thing, at all.
    "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid."

LuckyLeaky

• Administrator
    « Reply #28 on: September 16, 2014, 07:27:20 am »
    I used to smoke weed...I stopped when I started working with heavy equipment and doing maintenence  on police cars.... if it was legal I would smoke it unless the laws on buying firearms didnt change

Ballistic Therapy

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2014, 07:34:27 am »
    I won't smoke it because it makes your babies be born naked.

870policemag

• Administrator
    « Reply #30 on: September 16, 2014, 10:08:21 am »
    I won't smoke it because it makes your babies be born naked.

:rotfl
    Bullets are the only things that do their job only after they're fired.

870policemag

• Administrator
    « Reply #31 on: September 16, 2014, 10:55:42 am »
    I may have allegedly experimented with certain smelly substances in my younger years. I went to a public elementary, junior high and high school. I encountered this in all 3. I was always told that "It's better than alcohol because you don't get a hangover and it's natural"  B.S., that stuff makes you feel dumber than a box of rocks the next day. I could care less if someone uses it or not.  :yawn 

I once had the chance to sell a firearm to a gentleman who claimed that he was former SWAT and apart of a counter terrorism unit. We were swapping stories about some of the crazies we've had to deal on the job. He told me that in all his years of experience he had come to the conclusion that 50% of the population needs to be on Valium and the other half needs to be on marijuana.  :blink I wasn't expecting that. while I don't agree with his opinion on drugs, based on his stories I could see why he would think that way.

Kronos

• Han shot first!
    « Reply #32 on: September 16, 2014, 11:23:01 am »
    I once had the chance to sell a firearm to a gentleman who claimed that he was former SWAT and apart of a counter terrorism unit. We were swapping stories about some of the crazies we've had to deal on the job. He told me that in all his years of experience he had come to the conclusion that 50% of the population needs to be on Valium and the other half needs to be on marijuana.  :blink I wasn't expecting that. while I don't agree with his opinion on drugs, based on his stories I could see why he would think that way.
    Yeah, I guess I can understand him saying that. :shrug
    "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid."

TmansDad

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2014, 06:31:23 pm »
    Not to bring this back up, but some of you have been on the side of it being harmless.

Here's a 20 year long term study on the effects of MJ. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2782906/The-terrible-truth-cannabis-British-expert-s-devastating-20-year-study-finally-demolishes-claims-smoking-pot-harmless.html

Iocona

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2014, 07:15:21 pm »
      I got out of the Army in 1979 and went to work in pipeline in Colorado.  Water sewer and storm sewer construction.  Big multi ton pieces of iron with Caterpillar markings.  I myself became so talented on a Cat 950 that I believe I could change a babies diaper with it.  Many of the most talented operators I have ever known smoked a Doob with their lunch.  I never feared having my toes within inches of those teeth and buckets after lunch. 

TmansDad

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2014, 07:42:00 pm »
      I got out of the Army in 1979 and went to work in pipeline in Colorado.  Water sewer and storm sewer construction.  Big multi ton pieces of iron with Caterpillar markings.  I myself became so talented on a Cat 950 that I believe I could change a babies diaper with it.  Many of the most talented operators I have ever known smoked a Doob with their lunch.  I never feared having my toes within inches of those teeth and buckets after lunch. 

No offense, but that was stupid. Drugs and operating heavy equipment don't mix....Granted, I did stupid stuff earlier in my life too (just not drugs). That shit's bad for people.  They legalize it here for recreational purposes, we'll be high tailing it out of here lickety-split.  Not sticking around to live through this state's society dropping a big ole deuce.

LuckyLeaky

• Administrator
    « Reply #36 on: October 06, 2014, 07:48:52 pm »
    Granted, I did stupid stuff earlier in my life too (just not drugs).

Don't knock it unless you have tried it!

I know this is going to get a mixed response....but oh well...its me... Its expected of me  :whistle

Cyris

• Beer and Bullets
    « Reply #37 on: October 06, 2014, 08:33:55 pm »
    I don't think I've ever heard of a single person who said "I'd like to smoke pot but I don't because it's illegal."

If it was legal, I wouldn't have to drug test... and I would probably partake on a rare occasion =)

I agree on the comments about the dirty pot head. Thats a good image really. That said, I know *many* high class pot heads that smoke all day, every day and work in very high end jobs. I've known just as many who are lazy, sitting around burning a doob and listening to phish all day. I think, if pot disappeared, those same people would be drunk on a street corner instead. Some people just need a little alteration of their mind all day long. They can either see the doctor and get loaded up on xanax, or they can puff away on a little natural alternative medicine.

Just as everything else, things are good in moderation. I believe in less government all around, so I would vote to legalize all drugs. Sure, we may have Darwin sorting a few people out... but that's their adult decision!
    .:Cyris

If you want to protect your Right to Keep and Bear Arms in Arizona, then you want to join the Arizona Citizens Defense League (AzCDL)

Gaston34

« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2014, 10:04:54 pm »
    I have never smoked pot, and even if it became legal, most likely still wouldn't.  With that being said, I have no doubt that long term, regular use would not be harmless.....but I would also imagine that long term, regular use of many things would also not be harmless. 

Although I have never had any interest in smoking pot, I can't help but scratch my head on why it is illegal, when as long as you are at least 21, you can buy and drink all the Jack Daniels, Jose Cuervo, etc as you would like.

Arizonagunsmith

« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2014, 07:54:17 am »
    I don't know how many people remembers when there was an ashtray on every desk or tool box in the machine shops. Or guys enjoying a beer out in their cars during lunch or the 3 martini lunches by office workers...

When l worked at the PD there wasn't an office that didn't have a couple of smokers in them. I never had a beer while on the job or martinis for lunch but many did. We accepted it as the norm. Today the rules changed all that. Now they video tape folks drinking (remember the video of the Chrysler workers drinking and smoking pot during lunch.) And our anti-smoking crusade to where smokers are becoming criminals and have to stay 20 feet from the door or worse yet relegate to the curb of the hospital property.  Obama was a heavy pot smoker (maybe that's why he does and says stupid shit.)

Neither issue bothers me but its funny that now the tide is changing again... now it seems smoking marijuana is becoming acceptable... does this contradict our beliefs?

Take a self poll and see if you fit into the old stereotype.

Smoker
    Consume alcohol on a regular basis
    Smoke pot
    What else should we change...

Even the feds have said they are looking at changing the law on enforcement marijuana . States are realizing that cigarette tax revenues are going down and that pot is becoming more of cash crop so thus a new tax revenue they are missing out on. So l am sure we will see pot becoming legal in the next few years. Some say that if we legalize pot that the Mexican drug cartels business' will tank. So they wont be using illegal aliens to transport the pot. The crime will drop in the border states. I don't know but... l am sure that if it became legal and a taxable form of revenue the states will be saying "show me the money!!"

I feel as society we are evolving and sometimes its not all for the better... just stop and look at our gun rights in the same light... guns today... none tomorrow??

Jon

Rusty Young Man

• Open Carry advocate
    • "A Right unexercised is a Right lost."
    « Reply #40 on: October 07, 2014, 04:03:49 pm »
    Obama was a heavy pot smoker (maybe that's why he does and says stupid shit.)

Neither issue bothers me but its funny that now the tide is changing again... now it seems smoking marijuana is becoming acceptable... does this contradict our beliefs?

SNIP...

I feel as society we are evolving and sometimes its not all for the better... just stop and look at our gun rights in the same light... guns today... none tomorrow??

Jon

I think it was a pre-existing condition in his case. ;-D
    “Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.”-- Frederic Bastiat

I carry for self defense, desensitizing, and educating. In that order.

billt

« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2014, 04:23:28 am »
    I'm sorry, but I really get sick and tired of listening to all of this, "legalize weed because it's less dangerous than booze", crap. Can anyone show me how giving people more intoxicants is going to improve society? Look at this country as it now stands. You've got a full one third of the population that is broke because they continually spend more money than they earn. Credit card debt per household is soaring, and it's getting higher every year. People have about as much financial security as a street corner panhandler. Add to that we have reduced much of the population to the moral equivalency of two mutts humping each other in a school yard. We have elected a Presidential Administration twice that is comprised of a bunch of idiots, because we wanted to prove to ourselves how we're not "racist". So we turned the Presidency into a Affirmative Action position as a result, by putting the biggest idiot in charge.

Now, on top of all that we want to legalize yet another intoxicant that will make anyone who uses it even more lazy and stupid? What the hell happened to simple common sense in this nation? With all of our current problems, both here and abroad, this is what we waste our time and effort on? We've got a southern border that leaks like a sieve. We are teetering on the brink of financial ruin. We have damn near half the population receiving a government hand out of some type. We've got college graduates working the night shift at Denny's because they can't find a decent job. We've got people in their 40's who still owe on their student loans. We have a sitting President that has train wrecked our health care system to the point that now no one can afford it. Now you want to add to all of that legal pot?

Show me just what the hell that's going to improve? Look at Washington state and Colorado since they legalized the crap. It's turning their public parks into cesspools with homeless people moving there to get high. Marijuana driving arrests and accidents have gone through the roof in both states since the $h!t has been legalized. Crime rates around these "legal" pot stores is soaring. This is all an "improvement" how? And please spare me the whole "liberty" speech. That makes about as much sense as hitting yourself on the head with a hammer because it feels good when you stop.
    "Our priorities as a nation are screwed up. It's funny how they can put a pair of 20 year old breasts on an old woman, or put a boner on an 80 year old man, or change one into the other. But they still can't cure Cancer."

JesseL

• Sr. Contributor
      • Lambert Gunworks LLC
    « Reply #42 on: October 29, 2014, 11:24:00 am »
    I won't argue that using marijuana is a good idea.

I will argue that continuing the war on drugs doesn't make the situation any better and in many way makes it worse. It makes drug running more profitable for cartels, it provides an excuse for the government to erode civil rights, it criminalizes millions of non-violent offenders, and it's effectiveness at reducing use has been negligible.

Prohibition didn't work for alcohol (though it did make booming business for mobsters and the federal government) and it's hasn't worked any better for marijuana.

Rusty Young Man

• Open Carry advocate
    • "A Right unexercised is a Right lost."
    « Reply #43 on: October 29, 2014, 11:32:42 am »
    I'm sorry, but I really get sick and tired of listening to all of this, "legalize weed because it's less dangerous than booze", crap. Can anyone show me how giving people more intoxicants is going to improve society? Look at this country as it now stands. You've got a full one third of the population that is broke because they continually spend more money than they earn. Credit card debt per household is soaring, and it's getting higher every year. People have about as much financial security as a street corner panhandler. Add to that we have reduced much of the population to the moral equivalency of two mutts humping each other in a school yard. We have elected a Presidential Administration twice that is comprised of a bunch of idiots, because we wanted to prove to ourselves how we're not "racist". So we turned the Presidency into a Affirmative Action position as a result, by putting the biggest idiot in charge.

SNIP...
    This is all an "improvement" how? And please spare me the whole "liberty" speech. That makes about as much sense as hitting yourself on the head with a hammer because it feels good when you stop.

Seems like these are your problems, not what an individual chooses to imbibe or smoke (provided they aren't forcing it on anyone or harming someone to fuel their habit):
    1. Handouts (different from entitlements, which have been earned by the people receiving them)
    2. "Social Security" (see above
    3. Credit being abused by the incompetent, who then expect #1
    4. You said it yourself: common sense has gone out the window (in exchange for Political Correctness and "self esteem")
    5. Immigration policy is non-existent, and laws are not being enforced because "no person is illegal" (then I'd like to see them leave their doors permanently open with signs announcing that anyone can enter and will not be kicked out).
    6. Financial ruin caused by people who can't budget and then get "bailout" handouts (See #1)
    7. The "education" system is teaching young adults to shun manual labor, which includes machining and several other infrastructure-related jobs; simply put: everyone is taught they should be the guy designing the dams, roads, and bridges, not the guy actually building it.
    8. "Universal" health care (see #1)

As long as the guy hitting himself with a hammer is not on my property, is not using my property, is not coming after me, and is not forcing me to pay for his hobby, let him go right ahead. If we're lucky, Darwin will claim another idiot. Darwin wins, we all win.

Maybe we should just get rid of warning labels? :hmm
    « Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 11:35:30 am by Rusty Young Man »
    “Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.”-- Frederic Bastiat

I carry for self defense, desensitizing, and educating. In that order.

Kronos

• Han shot first!
    « Reply #44 on: October 29, 2014, 12:57:58 pm »
    I'm sorry, but I really get sick and tired of listening to all of this, "legalize weed because it's less dangerous than booze", crap. Can anyone show me how giving people more intoxicants is going to improve society?
    Probably the same way ending Prohibition improved society. Yes, alcohol was legalized. Yes, people drink, and do so irresponsibly. But the majority of people keep it under control, and the Feds no longer spend money and resources on futile efforts to stop it, and it took away a huge source of income for organized crime.

We have elected a Presidential Administration twice that is comprised of a bunch of idiots, because we wanted to prove to ourselves how we're not "racist". So we turned the Presidency into a Affirmative Action position as a result, by putting the biggest idiot in charge.
    I'm not a fan of Obama or his administration myself, but I still find it amusing that I can rely on a select group of AZGO members to steadfastly blame all of our nation's problems on one of 44 presidents in our history, and one of thousands of currently active politicians in the U.S.

. . . Now you want to add to all of that legal pot?
    You do realize legalizing weed doesn't mean the Feds are going to come around kicking doors down and shoving pot brownies down everyone's throats, right? Again, this is like suggesting that ending Prohibition immediately resulted in all of society collapsing because everyone had no choice but to get drunk off their asses. It's simply not the case. Just because it will be legalized, doesn't mean everyone will suddenly be doing it, and certainly not in excess.

Society will always have stupid people, and lazy people, and people who truthfully don't deserve to breathe (or drive a car... or vote... or have kids... etc.) - if you think that legalizing weed (or not) is going to change any of that, you really need to brush up on your history. You should also do some research on other countries that have legalized weed, and surprisingly, haven't erupted into total chaos and anarchy - probably because not only have they legalized it, but they've also learned as much as they could about it, and removed unreasonably negative connotations associated with it and those who use it.

Show me just what the hell that's going to improve?
    You're making arguments that have already been addressed in this thread.

Yes, it'd be great if we could remove every single drug in our society - and people's needs/desires to use them. But that's not going to happen. So instead, we need to regulate, or at least legalize them to stem illegal transactions, which fund organized crime.

Yes, it'd be great if we could remove alcohol from our society - and people's desires to use them. But that's not going to happen. So instead, we need to regulate, or at least legalize it to stem illegal transactions, which fund organized crime.

Yes, it'd be great if we could remove every single weapon from society - and people's needs/desires to use them. But that's not going to happen. So instead, we need to regulate, or at least legalize them to stem illegal transactions, which fund organized crime.

Do you see a trend, here?

This is all an "improvement" how? And please spare me the whole "liberty" speech. That makes about as much sense as hitting yourself on the head with a hammer because it feels good when you stop.
    I approach this attempt at logic as I do any other topic, including weed. If someone wants to hit themselves on the head with a hammer, that's perfectly fine with me. As long as they keep it to themselves and aren't bothering others, why the hell should I care? If they want to voluntarily remove themselves from the gene pool... GREAT! That's one less sponge to soak up my taxes. One less person to compete with for an education, for mating, and for an income. One less idiot to cast an uneducated, ill-informed vote that will affect other people far more than it will themselves.

Sorry, I know that's "the whole 'liberty' speech" you didn't want to hear. But if "just because" is not enough of a reason for you to want to protect your rights and the rights of others, or if you'd rather the government decide what is and isn't good for an individual's morals and well-being, I hear China and North Korea are great this time of year. And they're not bogged down by the pesky "freedom" philosophy, either.

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #45 on: October 29, 2014, 02:41:58 pm »
    I'm always bewildered by those who profess a love of freedom and a dislike of gov't but then suddenly do a 180 and begin preaching the merits of gov't intervention when it comes to things that don't jive with their chosen lifestyle.  :smh

Ho-hum.   :coffee

-T.

billt

« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2014, 03:07:48 pm »
    I'm always bewildered by those who profess a love of freedom and a dislike of gov't but then suddenly do a 180 and begin preaching the merits of gov't intervention when it comes to things that don't jive with their chosen lifestyle.

It's not the "merits of government intervention" that concerns me when it come to lifestyle choices, but rather the total lack of any common sense by the people.
    "Our priorities as a nation are screwed up. It's funny how they can put a pair of 20 year old breasts on an old woman, or put a boner on an 80 year old man, or change one into the other. But they still can't cure Cancer."

JesseL

• Sr. Contributor
      • Lambert Gunworks LLC
    « Reply #47 on: October 29, 2014, 03:15:05 pm »
    It's not the "merits of government intervention" that concerns me when it come to lifestyle choices, but rather the total lack of any common sense by the people.

Keeping pot illegal isn't making the any more sensible.

Freedom doesn't really mean much if it doesn't include the freedom to make stupid choices (as long as the damage is limited to yourself).

870policemag

• Administrator
    « Reply #48 on: October 29, 2014, 03:25:34 pm »
    ^nailed it.

Dark Sky Solutions

• I am Doc
    • Sr. Contributor
    • https://facebook.com/Dark-Sky-Solutions
      • Dark Sky Solutions
    « Reply #49 on: October 29, 2014, 03:33:52 pm »

Freedom doesn't really mean much if it doesn't include the freedom to make stupid choices (as long as the damage is limited to yourself).

On a side note, I believe that the nanny state and over regulation from themselves has created a dumber society that people complain about.
    Doc

Click our logo above to go to our Website

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement