Username: Password:

Author Topic: Mule Deer Hunting In Unit 33?  (Read 7509 times)

MichaelQuinn

Mule Deer Hunting In Unit 33?
« on: October 27, 2014, 09:28:38 am »
I've got my fall mule deer hunt coming up this weekend and i'm super psyched. I'm aware unit 33 is a whitetail unit but I've heard there's some monster mulies in the area. I'm leaning towards going to the places i've scouted (where I haven't seen much) like San Manuel and the Biosphere. Does anyone have any tips on some other spots? I've been curious if the north side of Mt. Lemmon is any good because I used to love camping there when I was younger.

I appreciate the help guys!

Happy Hunting!

Mike

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
      • Immediate Action Tactics & Training Group
    Re: Mule Deer Hunting In Unit 33?
    « Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 09:55:46 am »
    Stay away from the spots that are easy to get to. Was up in williams this last weekend and I'm amazed at all the fat old guys that walk trails and drive up to tanks. I was in a couple blinds for hours and these idiots are not aware of wind direction or anything. But it was my first year getting drawn so I've learned more about the Az hunters. Still had a blast and got some squirrels the last morning. The deer are definatly bedding down during the day so move in the dark.
    NRA Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    Colt AR15 Certified Armorer
    GLOCK Armorer

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 10:20:56 am »
    Week-ends are the worst.   :facepalm    Every time I'm out on a week-end during hunting season I feel like I ought to be wearing level III body armor in blaze orange and an emergency strobe beacon on my cap.
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

TheCol.U.S.M.C.

• Contributor
    « Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 10:32:51 pm »

Stay away from the spots that are easy to get to. Was up in williams this last weekend and I'm amazed at all the fat old guys that walk trails and drive up to tanks. I was in a couple blinds for hours and these idiots are not aware of wind direction or anything. But it was my first year getting drawn so I've learned more about the Az hunters. Still had a blast and got some squirrels the last morning. The deer are definatly bedding down during the day so move in the dark.

Most will road hunt. Drive around until they see something. Funny thing is they drive past a lot of deer. It sucks when you get up at 4 to get to your ridge to hike up before first light. Walk in super quite only to have some a&&hole drive by on a quad 20min after the sun comes up. Hunted 20A this weekend. No luck. My hunting buddy spooked a 3x3 opening morning walking up a ridge. Couldn't get a shot off. I passed on 3 spikers. Lots of doe.

In the desert or more open areas you have about 15min after first light before they start to bed down. In the woods or pines you will start seeing them bed down around 830-900.

It's western style glass glass and more glassing to spot them bedded under a tree or bush then move into shoot. 

Ballistic Therapy

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 05:54:10 am »
    Unit 33  is a good area for both whitetail and mule deer. 33 is my favorite area to hunt in the entire state.
    There is not a rock or hill in that unit that I have not climbed on.

For mule deer hunt the lower hills.
    Around the biosphere used to be a good area.
    Down the river road past San Manuel is a good area. Behman Canyon and Edgar Canyon are a good start.
    On the south end of unit 33 by Emperita Rd is good all the way to the San Pedro.
    Behind El Conquistador is a good area if you can still get back there.
    The lower areas starting up to Charlou gap are also good.
    Basically any of the lower areas in the Catalinas have Mule Deer in them.

If you want to get away from the road hunters just walk over a hill.

davycrockettfv

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 11:03:49 pm »
    I'm participating in that same hunt.  Unfortunately there was a white tail season this past week.  Lots of shooting going on in the area between the mountains and San Manuel.  May have to get a little more "committed" in my approach...

Ballistic Therapy

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 07:11:19 am »
    The Whitetail season ends today.
    The Mule deer season starts tomorrow so they might be a little skittish.
    Hunt the lower hills.
    You need to do lots of glassing.
    They are out there.

davycrockettfv

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 05:44:58 pm »
    Still have my tag, but getting closer every day. Worked hard today to cut off a buck only to have two other hunters spook him just before he walked right by me...

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement