Username: Password:

Author Topic: O.K. mossberg MVP ?  (Read 2137 times)

grumpyirish

O.K. mossberg MVP ?
« on: October 30, 2014, 09:27:07 am »
I was looking into the Ruger ranch bolt gun not hearing good things. So anyone out there  have a Mossberg MVP PATROL in 5.56 would love to here about it. Had a gentlemen with the 18.5 predator sayin some good things .

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

JesseL

• Sr. Contributor
      • Lambert Gunworks LLC
    Re: O.K. mossberg MVP ?
    « Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 10:53:19 am »
    I sold an MVP Patrol in 7.62 to a relative. Haven't heard much about how it shoots but the build quality was pretty decent considering  the price and features.

Ballistic Therapy

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 11:22:54 am »
    I posted this before but here it is again.

I went out and shot two guns in .223 , Mossberg MVP and a Tikka T3.
    They were both new out of the box with nothing done to them except for running a rag down the barrels and squirting some oil on them.
    The difference in price was about $40.

The Tikka was a T3 Lite model.
    The Mossberg was The Patrol model.

I looked at all the models of the Mossberg and went with the Patrol.
    The scope that comes with the Varmint is a Barska and since they are junk I passed on it.

The only difference was the scopes and mounts.
    I put a Leupold scope and Burris PEPR mount on the Mossberg.
    I put a Redfield scope on the Tikka and used the rings that came with it.
    I put 200 rounds of the same ammo through both of them.
    I shot both from 25 , 100 and 200 yards.

It was a night and day difference between the two.

The Tikka fit and finnish was leaps and bounds above the Mossberg.
    The bolt was very smooth and worked flawlessly.
    The factory magazine work flawlessly.
    The accuracy was outstanding.
    I have nothing bad to say about it.
    Shooting a dime size target constantly with this gun at 100 yards is no problem.
    It is a very good gun.
    There is nothing bad I can say about it.

The Mossberg factory magazine was absolutely junk.
    The bolt would catch on the magazine and had to be wiggled around every time I chambered a round.
    I tried both a C products and a Colt AR magazine and it worked fine but still not as smooth as I would expect.
    The bolt was very loose and not very smooth.
    Accuracy was OK but not anywhere close to the Tikka.
    I do not believe you can shoot a dime size target at 100 yards constantly with the Mossberg.
    The only thing the Mossberg has over the Tikka is that it accepts AR magazines and will take 5.56 which means nothing to me as a hunter.

I have to say that the Tikka is by far the best gun between the two.
    It is leaps and bounds a much better gun in every way.
    I would feel confident using it for hunting or targets.

The Mossberg is at best a good utilitarian gun.
    It would be a good truck or ranch gun.
    Not even in the same class as the Tikka.

I will keep my old Remington , but if I were looking for a new bolt action in .223 I would get the Tikka.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 11:27:42 am by Ballistic Therapy »

grumpyirish

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 01:00:16 pm »
    I posted this before but here it is again.

I went out and shot two guns in .223 , Mossberg MVP and a Tikka T3.
    They were both new out of the box with nothing done to them except for running a rag down the barrels and squirting some oil on them.
    The difference in price was about $40.

The Tikka was a T3 Lite model.
    The Mossberg was The Patrol model.

I looked at all the models of the Mossberg and went with the Patrol.
    The scope that comes with the Varmint is a Barska and since they are junk I passed on it.

The only difference was the scopes and mounts.
    I put a Leupold scope and Burris PEPR mount on the Mossberg.
    I put a Redfield scope on the Tikka and used the rings that came with it.
    I put 200 rounds of the same ammo through both of them.
    I shot both from 25 , 100 and 200 yards.

It was a night and day difference between the two.

The Tikka fit and finnish was leaps and bounds above the Mossberg.
    The bolt was very smooth and worked flawlessly.
    The factory magazine work flawlessly.
    The accuracy was outstanding.
    I have nothing bad to say about it.
    Shooting a dime size target constantly with this gun at 100 yards is no problem.
    It is a very good gun.
    There is nothing bad I can say about it.

The Mossberg factory magazine was absolutely junk.
    The bolt would catch on the magazine and had to be wiggled around every time I chambered a round.
    I tried both a C products and a Colt AR magazine and it worked fine but still not as smooth as I would expect.
    The bolt was very loose and not very smooth.
    Accuracy was OK but not anywhere close to the Tikka.
    I do not believe you can shoot a dime size target at 100 yards constantly with the Mossberg.
    The only thing the Mossberg has over the Tikka is that it accepts AR magazines and will take 5.56 which means nothing to me as a hunter.

I have to say that the Tikka is by far the best gun between the two.
    It is leaps and bounds a much better gun in every way.
    I would feel confident using it for hunting or targets.

The Mossberg is at best a good utilitarian gun.
    It would be a good truck or ranch gun.
    Not even in the same class as the Tikka.

I will keep my old Remington , but if I were looking for a new bolt action in .223 I would get the Tikka.
    That's exactly what im looking for a truck gun something to take while out camping ,fishing and such. You know something to dispatch the odd coyote.

Intel6

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 02:20:40 pm »
    As the aforementioned "Gentleman"  with the MVP, I wasn't expecting great things out of the MVP when I bought it. As the owner of several Sako rifles and having experience with a .223 Tikka I would not even put them in the same class of rifle, kind of an unfair comparison but an informative one no doubt. 

I was able to check out some of them at gun stores and they were a little rough but that was reflected in the price. I was specifically looking for a "truck gun" quality rifle and the AR15 mag feature was exactly what I was looking for.  If Remington made their 700 in .223 with an AR mag I probably just would have got one of those but the MVP is the only thing like it out there so I picked one up. I was looking for a .223 bolt for plinking the steel at our local range, something for my boys to use without it being too expensive to shoot.

I picked it up earlier this year but I was slow to get  scope on it and get it shooting until recently.  I separated out a bunch of 1x fired commercial brass I had and loaded up 500 rds of ammo with bulk Hornady 55 FMJ bullets. I have been shooting that stuff mostly and have been surprised at how well it shoots, even with the bulk bullets. We have steel out to 600m at our range and it is not hard to ring them with this rifle. I have also worked up a load with a 50 gr. VMax that has proven to be a .5 -.75 MOA (with my shitty rifle shooting) and works with the ballistic reticle scope I put on it.

So overall I am happy with my MVP as it fits the niche I wanted it to.   This biggest thing is to not try and make it out to be something it isn't and it will not disappoint.

Just incase people don't know what we are talking about here is a pic of my rifle:

Ballistic Therapy

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 08:12:54 am »
    The reason I compared the Mossberg and the Tikka together is because they were both in the same basic price range.
    The Tikka was right at $40 more.
    So in price they are close enough to be in the same class.
    In quality they are not even close.

I am not trying to offend anyone. There is a place for the Mossberg.
    It just does not live up to the expectations that I want in a bolt gun.

Intel6

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 09:05:05 am »
    BT,  I wasn't offended by the comparison at all, hope I didn't come across that way.  I didn't know the Tikka's were that cheap,  It thought they were more $ so I didn't think it was as a good comparison. Bottom line is the desirable feature I am interested in most is the use of the AR15 mag and until there are others with this feature then there is no comparison. I would guess that if Tikka came out with their bolt that used AR15 mags the price would be substantially more and then the price would be a factor.   

Being the owner of Sako's, Anschutz's, and a few Coopers I certainly appreciate nice rifles but the MVP has it's place. When you pay $2,000 for a Cooper arms rifle you expect quality (materials, build and accuracy) and you get it, when I paid $450 for the MVP I got that quality I expected.  I am actually hoping in the future that Remington see's the sales of the MVP and brings out their own mag fed bolts on the 700 actions that use AR15 mags and DPMS/MAGPUL .308 mags so I can upgrade.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement