Username: Password:

Author Topic: IWI Tavor  (Read 5826 times)

Tavorthom

IWI Tavor
« on: March 26, 2015, 10:09:30 pm »
Does anyone here have a tavor and prefer them to the AR platform?

Thanks,
Thom
A Veteran-whether active, retired, national guard, or reserve- is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check to The United States of America for an amount up to and including his life.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
      • Immediate Action Tactics & Training Group
    Re: IWI Tavor
    « Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 10:12:15 pm »
    shot em and didnt care for em one bit. the fit and finish was less then acceptable and the thing barrel left alot to be desired.
    NRA Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    Colt AR15 Certified Armorer
    GLOCK Armorer

870policemag

• Administrator
    « Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 10:34:15 pm »
    I've toyed with several but I've never shot one. I practiced dry fire drills, tac reloads, emergency reloads ect. and must admit that it definitely took some getting used to. It was a total learning curve like every other bullpup. M1 Garand, AR-15 and AK-47 style rifle practice went out the door with these.

I'm sure that one could manipulate one as fast as a AR-15 with enough trigger time.

Just like my KSG. That sucker is goofy as Fvck to reload but I don't think a 14 +1 round shotgun was built on the idea of reloading.
    Bullets are the only things that do their job only after they're fired.

Harm

• Devils Advocate Recoil Junkie Loctite Applicator
    • Administrator
    « Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 11:12:36 pm »
    I wanted to love the Tavor.  I really did.  Someone on the forum has one.  Apologies as I forget who.  I enjoyed shooting it.  Its got a nice trigger FOR A BULLPUP.  But it was so much heavier.  At the range I was impressed.  Then I went home and hefted my AR, decided I didn't need it.  Its a cool novelty and don't let others convince you to not even try it.  But as for me, as much as I hate that I've become an AR guy... I have. 
    I know where my towel is.

LuckyLeaky

• Administrator
    « Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 05:28:02 am »
    I believe ItWasntMe has a Tavor...

ItWasntMe

• Known Agitator
    • Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 06:15:38 am »
    I love it. Biggest complaint people have is the gas from a mag dump. I removed the extra spring and that helped the trigger a lot but I may still get one of the aftermarket triggers.
    Have you considered the possibility that pathological narcissism is genetic?

anm2_man

• Contributor
    « Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 08:41:25 am »
    I like mine.  Its got good balance, the trigger is pretty good and I didn't have to buy any more mags.   But comparing it to the AR platform is wrong.   Its not an AR.  There is only one downside, being so close to the muzzle, every shot has a crack.  When I shoot mine I have to have ear plugs + muff's, because it actually hurts your ears.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around, and smart people are reloading."

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 12:16:46 pm »
    Of the few I've fired I found the Tavor to be ok.  I must qualify that though by saying that I'm not at all a fan of bullpups in general.

It was ok, but I generally wouldn't buy a bullpup style rifle I think.  That's just me.

-T.

Son of Jared

• Contributor
    « Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 10:09:26 pm »
      But as for me, as much as I hate that I've become an AR guy... I have.

I'm experiencing the same sickness.  :facepalm
    All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force... We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent Mind. This Mind is the matrix of all matter.

Max Planck

Harm

• Devils Advocate Recoil Junkie Loctite Applicator
    • Administrator
    « Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 10:11:14 pm »
    It's true.  As much as I tried to avoid it. Sigh. 
    I know where my towel is.

428CJ

• Contributor
    « Reply #10 on: April 05, 2015, 01:17:04 pm »
    I have A friend has two of them. I didn't like the triggers on them. The concept of a bullpup will take time for me. But he got a new trigger for one of them and it shoots real good. I do see the concept growing as time goes on.  Over all not bad. :thumbup
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast

Agibbs996

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 11:18:35 am »
    I have one and love the compact nature of it.   Makes it easy to slip into a discrete rifle bag.   Stock trigger is stiff because it's designed for the fine grain sand in Israel.   You can take out one of the dual springs (which I did) to lower the pull or get a Geissele.  I started off with the 9mm version and then converted it to a 5.56.

cr

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 05:01:20 am »
    Of the few I've fired I found the Tavor to be ok.  I must qualify that though by saying that I'm not at all a fan of bullpups in general.

It was ok, but I generally wouldn't buy a bullpup style rifle I think.  That's just me.

-T.
    Exactly.
    « Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 05:03:39 am by cr »

coyotesfan97

• Paws before boots!
    • Administrator
    « Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 12:07:29 pm »
    I've shot them. I like the AUG better
    The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.  Thucydides 471BC

"Hey!  Let's be careful out there." Sgt Phil Esterhaus played by Michael Conrad

armoredman

• Contributor
    « Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 06:18:35 pm »
    I handled one at SHOT 2015.

After wanting one ever since they came in, it instantly felt...all wrong. I didn't play with it much, but it just didn't feel right. The guy behind the counter tried hard to tell me how easy it is to pick up...I'd like to shoot one to see if initial impression was wrong.

Dr. Football

• Contributor
    • "Your Brighter then dead Lightbulb"-My Father.....
    « Reply #15 on: August 26, 2015, 12:09:32 am »
    My friend who is a PD Sgt. Of a small town here has one. He was never in the military, but has been a cop for 30+ yrs, and 10+ here now. We took it out last summer, when I still
    Lived in Clarkdale ( he was HOA Prez and I was VP at the time). He's owned and handled AR's for a long  time. Me, not so much, until about 3 Years ago. His also came with a 9MM conversion, which we both enjoyed shooting. What I didn't like, which I agree with Anm2, is the "Crack"
    Since you won't always have both plugs and muffs on hand....

CodeSection

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2015, 12:12:19 am »
    Hey Thom!

Love mine....

Tavorthom

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2015, 08:13:07 am »
    Now I have a tavor  that looks  like codesections. And it is really quiet
    Thom
    A Veteran-whether active, retired, national guard, or reserve- is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check to The United States of America for an amount up to and including his life.

Dr. Football

• Contributor
    IWI Tavor
    « Reply #18 on: October 13, 2015, 02:06:35 am »
    Not long ago( I want to say Around June or July) Michael Bane ( Outdoor Ch. Shooting Gallery & the Best Defense) did a trip to the IWI is plant, and among other things, an Israelli Army Reserve Sgt. Took him out for a shooting session with the Tavor...

Dr. Football

• Contributor
    « Reply #19 on: October 14, 2015, 12:13:24 pm »
    I also saw Eric( Iraqi Vet 8888)'s review on the Tavor. The difference(He claimed) was he added both  a "CQB" red doe and a scope

ItWasntMe

• Known Agitator
    • Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #20 on: October 14, 2015, 12:17:08 pm »
    I'll likely be bringing mine to the next group shoot.
    Have you considered the possibility that pathological narcissism is genetic?

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement