Username: Password:

Author Topic: SR22 v. M&P 22 Compact  (Read 3110 times)

AIM9X

SR22 v. M&P 22 Compact
« on: June 01, 2015, 10:20:50 am »
I am looking for a 22 plinker and suppressor host with a factory threaded barrel.  The choice is down to the Ruger SR22 and SW's M&P 22 Compact.  (I already have a 22/45 Lite).  Does anyone have any direct experience with both these guns?  If so, which do you prefer?

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

870policemag

• Administrator
    Re: SR22 v. M&P 22 Compact
    « Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 11:18:01 am »
    My father bought a SR22 and that sucker is a jam-O-matic. It malfunctions every 7 rounds or so but he did buy it new so maybe you chalk that up to breaking it in.

I don't have any experience with the M&P 22.
    Bullets are the only things that do their job only after they're fired.

ItWasntMe

• Known Agitator
    • Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 04:26:55 pm »
    My SR-22 has been pretty reliable and I really enjoy shooting it.
    Have you considered the possibility that pathological narcissism is genetic?

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 05:44:01 pm »
    your 22/45 lite is going to be the quietest of the 3 you listed. I have no experience with the M&P. the only Ruger semi auto pistols I like are the MK series (including the 22/45) and the LCP.
    Have you considered the Walther p22 or the sig mosquito?
    Also, for some REALLY compact fun, the Beretta 22-a  would be a FANTASTIC host. There is a suppressor designed for it called the WASP by Thompson Machine. Suppressor plus gun is smaller than a factory PPK.....
    Heat it till it's hot, then beat it with a hammer until it's the shape you want.    Blacksmith's advice that works for pretty much everything in life

Marx-ism's

• Administrator
    • Why a duck?
    « Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 09:35:56 pm »
    The M&P22 is an awesome pistol!  I have one and it's a joy to shoot... not had any issues with jam's and I've successfully fed it all sorts of different types of .22lr ammo.
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

Xd45

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 12:04:44 am »
    I have the SR 22 and the M&P 22 and really enjoy both. I am waiting on stamps for two 22 cans and the m&p has the threaded barrel but my SR22 doesn't.  I also have a walther p22 with a threaded barrel.  I want another 22 pistol to use with the cans and a lot of deliberation I decided my next 22 will be the M&P 22 Compact.  So I would say M&P.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

cr

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 04:19:50 am »
    The M&P22 is an awesome pistol!  I have one and it's a joy to shoot... not had any issues with jam's and I've successfully fed it all sorts of different types of .22lr ammo.
    Same here. The M&P replaced a Walther p 22, which jammed at a drop of a hat. My friend has a sr22 and runs great. I picked the S&W because it fit my hand better. Good luck with your choice.   

vincei

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 09:13:25 am »

I have an M&P 22 pistol and my family likes shooting it. I have shot an array of rounds from subsonic to hyper velocity and everything in between. Subsonic rounds have a tendency to no fully cycle the slide on occasion. Although, I notice less issues now that I have a few thousand rounds through it.

A few things that standout for me: I don't care for the palm swell like grip, just personal preference.  I like the blacked out adjustable rear sights. If you slam the magazine home the first round may pop out half way and cause a FTF. Just need to adjust the magazine lips a bit.

Dr. Football

• Contributor
    • "Your Brighter then dead Lightbulb"-My Father.....
    SR22 v. M&P 22 Compact
    « Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 01:30:51 am »
    Irregardless of the Rugers' issues with takedown and reassembly( Majestic Arms Takedown kit solves that...), the Ruger is the best 22( besides the Buckmark) I have ever shot in a 22Semi-Auto.. Mine is a std. not a lite, but I'd love one of the New Lite ones with the Blue Shroud....either are so good when they are clean and running the Same Ammo and the springs are still nice and stiff,.they can be very accurate. I had a MKII at one time( Not 22/45, the regular MKII) and while it was good at 0-20 Yds, the groups got wider beyond that. Friend has a 6-7/8" MKIII with a Rimfire scope on it. I used to think he just had it for $&its and Giggles, but he nailed any pest on his property well beyond 25yds, the kind that eat plants and veggies out of your garden, chew through phone, Cable, and power lines( until they get zapped doin it),....I'm still trying to convince him to leave it to me when he dies,...

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement