Username: Password:

Author Topic: How do you guys cool down your garage  (Read 9583 times)

FreeInAZ

• Sr. Contributor
  • Klingons never bluff. nottojtlhInganpu'.
Re: How do you guys cool down your garage
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2015, 04:27:36 pm »
Thanks again - the pics help in explaining to my boss / err ... Wife ;)
Better to die on our feet than live on our knees! "The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable." -Sun Tzu

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

Cyris

• Beer and Bullets
    « Reply #26 on: June 23, 2015, 04:32:40 pm »
    Thanks again - the pics help in explaining to my boss / err ... Wife ;)

No problem, and I know how that goes. Maybe my mess will help your cause too. "Look at all that clutter, I am way better than that schmuck honey!"
    .:Cyris

If you want to protect your Right to Keep and Bear Arms in Arizona, then you want to join the Arizona Citizens Defense League (AzCDL)

FreeInAZ

• Sr. Contributor
    • Klingons never bluff. nottojtlhInganpu'.
    How do you guys cool down your garage
    « Reply #27 on: June 23, 2015, 04:38:49 pm »
    Well my spin would go - see and like this fine Gent, I could do my reloading in the garage year round honey, no need to ever be in your way..,
    :p
    « Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 04:40:53 pm by FreeInAZ »
    Better to die on our feet than live on our knees! "The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable." -Sun Tzu

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #28 on: June 23, 2015, 06:14:05 pm »
    I've been eyeballing one of these portable swamp coolers from Home Depot with some serious interest lately.  The price really isn't the stumbling block. Its mostly the concern of storage because of the valuable floor space in the garage that it'd take up when the temps cool down and its not being used.

Tarp it and put it on the back patio when it cools off. BTW, that model works AMAZING as a patio cooler during bbqs
    « Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 06:17:54 pm by steve2md »
    Heat it till it's hot, then beat it with a hammer until it's the shape you want.    Blacksmith's advice that works for pretty much everything in life

brandyspaw

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #29 on: June 23, 2015, 07:37:29 pm »
    Tarp it and put it on the back patio when it cools off. BTW, that model works AMAZING as a patio cooler during bbqs

You know I had been thinking of using that kind of evap cooler on the patio or even in my courtyard in front. Its enclosed by 3 walls and it really stays warm out there with no breeze pushing through. My concern is the noise the cooler makes at something like a social gathering.  When I'm working on my gun or car projects by myself the noise wouldn't matter as I can always crank the tunes up. 
    "When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    Thomas Jefferson

"Most of my money has gone for guns, cars and guitars.  The rest I just wasted."

QueenGlamis

« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2015, 07:38:12 pm »
    Make the wife and kids stop talking in the garage?

:whistle :whistle :whistle :facepalm Sorry bad joke - carry on

Cyris

• Beer and Bullets
    « Reply #31 on: June 23, 2015, 07:56:51 pm »
    You know I had been thinking of using that kind of evap cooler on the patio or even in my courtyard in front. Its enclosed by 3 walls and it really stays warm out there with no breeze pushing through. My concern is the noise the cooler makes at something like a social gathering.  When I'm working on my gun or car projects by myself the noise wouldn't matter as I can always crank the tunes up.

I am also thinking about getting one. A few friends of mine have them, and they are not too loud for social gatherings and work great outside to take the edge off.

If you want to protect your Right to Keep and Bear Arms in Arizona, then you want to join the Arizona Citizens Defense League (AzCDL)

Whathefff

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2015, 09:32:12 pm »
    that insulation looks good. I was thinking about having the door replaced with a factory insulated one but that would save a fortune. I'll have to pick some of that up

TNFrank61

• Contributor
    « Reply #33 on: June 24, 2015, 07:59:32 am »
    My wife was telling me that they now have an A/C unit that's free standing, no need to plum it to the outdoors. You might look into one of those and some good insulation on the garage door and walls and especially the attic side of the garage ceiling to keep the heat out and the cool in.  The problem I always had with a swamp cooler is the humidity.  If you have anything iron or steel in the garage it'll rust it up in short order so that's why an A/C unit would be a better way to go.
    Luke 22:36 (NIV)
    36 He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."

"The Second Amendment of our Bill of Rights is my Concealed Weapons Permit, period."
    - Ted Nugent

Dr. Football

• Contributor
    • "Your Brighter then dead Lightbulb"-My Father.....
    « Reply #34 on: June 24, 2015, 08:29:45 am »
    AND: I found out I DO have FOAM insulation on my Garage Door!!
    I have the Freestanding Portable AC, I'll take a Pic on the Way out to Dialysis treatment today

Edit: we leave the Attic Access hatchway open a crack to allow the hot air to escape when we are not there and using the AC unit. Except to come and Go by Car(SUV), I have not been in there working in a week and a half. I can also get work done( in our office) ( Cleaning my stuff/ Computer work ) and I have no need to sweat to death and Pay APS out the nose. In my last place we wasted to do Solar but APS closed the $$$ loophole, and where we are now is the only part of this subdivision that DOES NOT allow anyone to do their own solar. Me thinks the HOA here wants a contract to do ALL the Condos in our Section(74 or 75 Units) because they want to make a $ off it...S'ok I'm getting my own Solar & Wind generator....and 3 small panels for my Back yard
    « Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 08:39:26 am by Dr. Football »

LuckyLeaky

• Administrator
    « Reply #35 on: June 24, 2015, 12:57:22 pm »
    I have the Freestanding Portable AC, I'll take a Pic on the Way out to Dialysis treatment today

Edit: we leave the Attic Access hatchway open a crack to allow the hot air to escape when we are not there and using the AC unit. Except to come and Go by Car(SUV), I have not been in there working in a week and a half. I can also get work done( in our office) ( Cleaning my stuff/ Computer work ) and I have no need to sweat to death and Pay APS out the nose. In my last place we wasted to do Solar but APS closed the $$$ loophole, and where we are now is the only part of this subdivision that DOES NOT allow anyone to do their own solar. Me thinks the HOA here wants a contract to do ALL the Condos in our Section(74 or 75 Units) because they want to make a $ off it...S'ok I'm getting my own Solar & Wind generator....and 3 small panels for my Back yard

Heat rises with no circulation. So unless you have a fan in your attic...you are making it hotter

anm2_man

• Contributor
    « Reply #36 on: June 24, 2015, 02:59:30 pm »
    I did look at those split units, but they sure are expensive.   Like I said earlier I found somebody selling a 18k window unit for $175.  I could not turn it down.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around, and smart people are reloading."

Dr. Football

• Contributor
    « Reply #37 on: June 28, 2015, 03:57:15 pm »
    Heat rises with no circulation. So unless you have a fan in your attic...you are making it hotter

Yup, got a ceiling fan in the attic. All the             
    "Condos" Here have em,  and I'd have to ask someone, but I think the Stand alone homes have em as well.

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #38 on: June 28, 2015, 04:10:36 pm »
    Sometimes even the attic fan is a net heat gain - especially if it is not reversible.  I have an attic fan that is set up to work with the prevailing west wind and my existing attic vents but if the wind is out of the east - like it often is during parts of the monsoon - I'm better off not running the attic fan as it is trying to overpower the natural air movement.  Sort of like trying to push a chain.   :facepalm
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

Dr. Football

• Contributor
    « Reply #39 on: June 28, 2015, 04:40:58 pm »
    Yes mine is Reversible direction. We also have Vents on both sides of the Roof. Only negative: we we have a little rain, there is a spot on the roof that collects water, and it drains out from the roof to a spot next to my Grill and on top of my BBQ stuff and supplies. I use leather work gloves to handle the Grill grates and Charcoal. One of the pr. is nicely soaked...

Cyris

• Beer and Bullets
    « Reply #40 on: June 28, 2015, 08:05:02 pm »

I am pretty sure the HOA can't stop you from getting solar panels. Same with a satellite dish, they cannot dictate that.

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #41 on: June 28, 2015, 10:26:44 pm »
    Yep, Not sure of the statute #s, but a few years ago there was a ruling that HOAs can not restrict your use of solar panels, and can not force you to use their preferred provider.  As far as sat dishes, HOAs can make you mount them below a fence line so that they are not visible to neighbors.
    Heat it till it's hot, then beat it with a hammer until it's the shape you want.    Blacksmith's advice that works for pretty much everything in life

Dr. Football

• Contributor
    « Reply #42 on: June 29, 2015, 12:17:53 am »

I am pretty sure the HOA can't stop you from getting solar panels. Same with a satellite dish, they cannot dictate that.

No they can't "STOP" me but they can fine me for"Not notifying" them. And all the Old folks around here are Major league Yentas( Always into other people's Business!) the DTV dish was already there. The Antennas can be mounted to the sides off the Structures, but not the Roofs...the good thing is I'm on a hill...TX/RX Antenna went up today, but so far it just has the Scanner, SW Receiver, and CB/SSB hooked up to it. Hopefully the Bulldogge doesn't chew the Coax...I have expensive wire( Micro 8/U)....

Guy1az

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #43 on: June 29, 2015, 07:19:16 am »
    I have two split units in the garage but usually just prop open the door from the house to the garage and put a really powerful fan in the doorway ...it is surprisingly effective.  Plus when I built the house I included the garage in the ductwork right where my work area is.  I can open and close it.  I need to insulate the garage door....that would make a huge difference I would think.

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #44 on: June 29, 2015, 06:55:20 pm »
    I insulated my garage door but since my house faces SSW its not really very effective in the summertime when the sun is directly overhead.  It works great in December and January, though.    :facepalm
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

Dr. Football

• Contributor
    « Reply #45 on: July 01, 2015, 03:07:15 am »
    The Bulldogge likes to follow me into ours and hang out whilst I "Tinker" but has a bad-Lazy habit of Throwing himself in front of the rolling AC unit.....

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #46 on: July 01, 2015, 06:13:39 pm »
    Which leaves you downwind .    .     .    :rotfl
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #47 on: July 01, 2015, 10:17:40 pm »
    if you mount a fan in the upper vent pointing out as an exhaust, the lower will suck in cooler air (cooler air is lower) and keep temps down a tad. If you add a portable ac, exhaust it out of the lower one, the upper will be fine on its own for venting the waste gasses of the WH

TNFrank61

• Contributor
    « Reply #48 on: July 11, 2015, 10:10:28 am »
    Now that I'm here in AZ. I understand better what ya'll are talking about. It gets frickin' HOT in our Garage. There's a couple vents on the West wall of the Garage but all that really does is let the hot air in more then anything.   
      I'm just going to have to plan my reloading around the cooler months and save up brass I shoot during the hot months for reloading later.
    Luke 22:36 (NIV)
    36 He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."

"The Second Amendment of our Bill of Rights is my Concealed Weapons Permit, period."
    - Ted Nugent

Cyris

• Beer and Bullets
    « Reply #49 on: July 11, 2015, 11:24:40 am »
    Now that I'm here in AZ. I understand better what ya'll are talking about. It gets frickin' HOT in our Garage. There's a couple vents on the West wall of the Garage but all that really does is let the hot air in more then anything.   
      I'm just going to have to plan my reloading around the cooler months and save up brass I shoot during the hot months for reloading later.

I often do some of my prep work inside. I have a single stage mounted to a 2x6 that I clamp onto my desk in the office. I deprime/resize brass on that, then tumble it and put it in ammo cans to reload when its not hot or when I want to fire up the AC in the garage. They make hand deprimers too (no resize) and lots of folks do that while watching tv. Get yourself a good stock pile and save some time when the weather cools down.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement