Username: Password:

Author Topic: The AK iron sight system (or... stop blaming the gear for your failures)  (Read 2590 times)

Thernlund

• Administrator
  • AZGO Founder
I love the rant on sights.  HA!  :rotfl

;-D 

Rob Ski and AKOU are pretty awesome.  Just the right mix of funny, motivational, and educational.   And the man knows the rifle inside and out.  :thumbup

I think even non-AK guys will agree with him on at least one point though...

It's really not that hard.  You just have to have that will to do something, to train a little bit, and you will see the result.

Indeed.

-T.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

Cyris

• Beer and Bullets
    HAHA! "You just farted the idea on paper and thought it was great"
    .:Cyris

If you want to protect your Right to Keep and Bear Arms in Arizona, then you want to join the Arizona Citizens Defense League (AzCDL)

JesseL

• Sr. Contributor
      • Lambert Gunworks LLC
    I love that man and what he says.

Seems to me we had a shoot a little while back where we ran a little competition to see who could get the most rounds on target in a certain amount of time and it was won by some dude shooting an AK with irons.  :hmm

870policemag

• Administrator
    If it weren't for his groups, I'd say that this guy needs to switch to decaf.
    Bullets are the only things that do their job only after they're fired.

JesseL

• Sr. Contributor
      • Lambert Gunworks LLC
    If it weren't for his groups, I'd say that this guy needs to switch to decaf.

Vodka - loud and angry but without the shakes.

870policemag

• Administrator
    Ahhh...That would explain it.
    Bullets are the only things that do their job only after they're fired.

ItWasntMe

• Known Agitator
    • Sr. Contributor
    Good rant.
    Have you considered the possibility that pathological narcissism is genetic?

brandyspaw

• Sr. Contributor
    Actually I don't have much more of a problem with AK iron sights than I do with any other iron sights.  For me all irons suck since I've succumbed to CSS syndrome.  That's "Can't See Shit" syndrome for those without medical expertise.  Since my vision has worsened with age I really struggle with all irons.

Back in the late eighties when I first started shooting AK's I was fine with them but since I'm now in my sixties my vision has really deteriorated.  Still and all, I don't find AK irons that much worse than many other irons. They offer a very short sight plane and the sights are too fine and there are certainly better iron sight setups out there.  However, the AK irons can still work for me with enough ambient lighting and with a greater concentration for longer ranges.
    « Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 06:43:30 pm by brandyspaw »
    "When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    Thomas Jefferson

"Most of my money has gone for guns, cars and guitars.  The rest I just wasted."

Ballistic Therapy

Everything this guy said should be common knowledge to anyone that half way knows how a gun works.
    Sorry not impressed.

I did like the video  " R Lee Ermey Ak vs M16 ".
    « Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 10:33:09 am by Ballistic Therapy »

JesseL

• Sr. Contributor
      • Lambert Gunworks LLC
    Everything this guy said should be common knowledge to anyone that half way knows how a gun works.
    Sorry not impressed.

SUre, but how many people have you heard talk about how an AK can't hit anything and the sights suck?

theultimatehic

Re: The AK iron sight system (or... stop blaming the gear for your failures)
    « Reply #10 on: August 02, 2015, 10:10:34 pm »
    I love when my ar fanboy friends tell me aks aren't that accurate. I'm still confused why they can't out shoot me with there ar which is so much more "accurate". Everytime i hear it i challenge the person. Probably spending too much time on the ar forums believing everything they hear :rotfl
    I may not like what you say, but I'll defend your right to say it!

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
      • Immediate Action Tactics & Training Group
    « Reply #11 on: August 02, 2015, 10:15:27 pm »
    Challenge accepted. What part of valley are u in
    NRA Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    Colt AR15 Certified Armorer
    GLOCK Armorer

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #12 on: August 02, 2015, 10:28:41 pm »
    I can hit all kind of things with my AK and irons.  It's not laser, but neither is an AR with a similar setup.  Both with iron sights, both with a 16" barrel, both with mass-produced factory ammo, both as the standard battle rifles they are?  I expect pretty much the same performance from each; "Minute-of-Man Accuracy".

A lot of the time you can get better performance from hand-loaded/match ammo.  Not a lot it of that around in 7.62.  So I guess the AR has that going for it.

-T.

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
      • Immediate Action Tactics & Training Group
    « Reply #13 on: August 02, 2015, 10:36:29 pm »
    Hope that didn't come across as a dick. I just wana see an accurate AK. At 200 that guy seemed to shoot like a 12inch group. I'm just all about goin to shoot
    NRA Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    Colt AR15 Certified Armorer
    GLOCK Armorer

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #14 on: August 02, 2015, 10:46:13 pm »
    I didn't think so.

I guess it kind of depends on what you call "accurate".  I can hit a torso at 200 standing off-hand with my AK and irons.  I expect similar from a similarly set up AR (as mentioned).  Again... Minute-of-Man accuracy.

But I don't expect that many surgical shooters are going to be terribly impressed by any battle rifle performance, AR or AK.  And rightfully so I think.  When you're putting rounds into one hole at 600 with a custom rifle, an off-the-rack fighting rifle is going to seem pretty lame I think.

I am kind of curious what I could do laying prone with my AK though.  I've never tried it.   :hmm

-T.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement