Username: Password:

Author Topic: Scratches on stainless steel  (Read 4576 times)

LuckyLeaky

• Administrator
Scratches on stainless steel
« on: July 03, 2015, 04:24:58 pm »
Does anyone have any insight on how to hide light scratches on stainless steel?

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

FACE

Re: Scratches on stainless steel
    « Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 05:02:35 pm »
    Embrace it! 

Your other option would be to polish it,  but then the light scratches will never stop coming.
    In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.

Thomas Jefferson

LuckyLeaky

• Administrator
    « Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 05:14:47 pm »
    Normally i would embrace it but i have a reassembly mark that i want gone asap......was cleaning it today and i almost shit my pants when i saw it.... i dont even remember doing it :/

870policemag

• Administrator
    « Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 05:53:15 pm »
    Please tell me that you didn't scratch your Colt. :doh
    Bullets are the only things that do their job only after they're fired.

LuckyLeaky

• Administrator
    « Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 06:14:29 pm »
     :whistle

LuckyLeaky

• Administrator
    « Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 06:29:11 pm »
    So if i polish it....it can actually make it worse????

I was thinking of using emery cloth and do the whole length so i dont have just a little shiny spot

870policemag

• Administrator
    « Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 06:40:22 pm »
    The pattern of their grain is hard to replicate. Just by looking at the slide you should see an almost perfect pattern. It's almost like someone made some type of jig for a fine belt sander.

Rugers are easier to replicate because the pattern is somewhat random. If you really have to fix it, tear it down to the frame, mount a belt sander on a bench and practice on some other piece of stainless steel with a fine belt until you've perfected it then give it a shot.

Or you could just take FACE's advice and embrace the "dummy mark". Just about every honest 1911 owner will admit to doing this at least once. That includes myself. :-[

870policemag

• Administrator
    « Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 06:44:22 pm »
    There's a really neat slide stop modification that will prevent this from happening in the future. It's on a 1911 forum that I'm a member of.

I'll PM you the link tomorrow. I'm on my cell at the moment.

ItWasntMe

• Known Agitator
    • Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 10:15:48 pm »
    Sorry about the Colt.  :doh
    Have you considered the possibility that pathological narcissism is genetic?

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 11:36:29 pm »
    000 steel wool and mother's chrome polish. Do the whole slide and no one will ever know. Except us of course....
    Heat it till it's hot, then beat it with a hammer until it's the shape you want.    Blacksmith's advice that works for pretty much everything in life

FACE

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2015, 01:04:32 am »
    Speaking from experience,  the only way to truly hide the idiot mark is to sand and polish the entire thing.  Took me all day.  Then you'll have a nice mirror shine which will show every tiny scratch and scuff from then on.   It's a double edged sword.   I'll show you if you come to the shoot.
    In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.

Thomas Jefferson

FreeInAZ

• Sr. Contributor
    • Klingons never bluff. nottojtlhInganpu'.
    Scratches on stainless steel
    « Reply #11 on: July 04, 2015, 02:52:18 am »

Those are called character marks sir! ;)
    Wear them as a badge of honor - unless you're trying to sell it, then blame it on a little old lady you were trying to teach to shoot, who scuffed it with diamond bracelet etc... ;)

Speaking from experience,  the only way to truly hide the idiot mark is to sand and polish the entire thing.  Took me all day.  Then you'll have a nice mirror shine which will show every tiny scratch and scuff from then on.   It's a double edged sword.   I'll show you if you come to the shoot.

THAT ^^^
    Better to die on our feet than live on our knees! "The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable." -Sun Tzu

cr

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2015, 04:44:26 am »
    000 steel wool and mother's chrome polish. Do the whole slide and no one will ever know. Except us of course....
    Exactly

Misfire51

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #13 on: July 04, 2015, 05:45:34 am »
    Idiot scratch, wow I've never done that :whistle Not. That was the first thing I did when I got my Colt back in the day. Couldn't wait to take it apart and BAM .  870 is right there is a mod to the pin that you can make , they also sell a little piece of plastic just for the take down so that does not happen, slides under the pin to protect the frame. My colt is blue so it was a rather an easy fix. Like others have said break out the steel wool , scotch bright, emery cloth or what ever . Its gonna have to be super fine though. Good luck, remember you will only make that mistake once. ;-)
    « Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 05:48:26 am by Misfire51 »
    Tony / Mighty Arms

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #14 on: July 04, 2015, 09:42:17 am »
    Pick up a piece of scrap stainless steel and test your polishing abrasive on it first.  That allows you to examine the scratches in the surface to determine if your method will produce the same finish that is currently on the gun.  It also allows you to play around with a polishing block and perfect your technique before you actually touch the gun.   Ask me how I know all this  .   .   .    :facepalm 
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

870policemag

• Administrator
    « Reply #15 on: July 04, 2015, 09:49:55 am »
    I spotted one in the wild. :-P

Marx-ism's

• Administrator
    • Why a duck?
    « Reply #16 on: July 04, 2015, 10:27:24 am »
    I spotted one in the wild. :-P

Isn't that how they come from the factory???   :-P
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

brandyspaw

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #17 on: July 04, 2015, 10:42:58 am »
    For removing light scratches on the stainless steel surfaces I've always had the best luck polishing them out with crocus cloth.
    "When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    Thomas Jefferson

"Most of my money has gone for guns, cars and guitars.  The rest I just wasted."

Cyris

• Beer and Bullets
    « Reply #18 on: July 04, 2015, 11:17:37 am »
    Its ruined man, sorry. Just give it to me and go buy a new one. Ill dispose of it properly for you, of course. This will protect you from the shame!
    .:Cyris

If you want to protect your Right to Keep and Bear Arms in Arizona, then you want to join the Arizona Citizens Defense League (AzCDL)

LuckyLeaky

• Administrator
    « Reply #19 on: July 04, 2015, 11:33:17 am »
    I figured that i learned my lesson when i did it to the Remington. ...
    At least that one i had cerakoted to hide the problem...

ItWasntMe

• Known Agitator
    • Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #20 on: July 04, 2015, 03:21:32 pm »
    So far I've been able to avoid that on my 1911's. But on the Kimber Ultra I bought a takedown tool so that there isn't too much going on at the same time. Sucks to hold the springs in place on the 3" barrel model while pushing the takedown pin back in properly. It's cheating but in a good way!

Have you considered the possibility that pathological narcissism is genetic?

Rusty Young Man

• Open Carry advocate
    • "A Right unexercised is a Right lost."
    « Reply #21 on: July 05, 2015, 01:53:43 pm »

IIRC, RugerDave made a similar question some time back. Can't find the thread at the moment. :hmm

What I did was use a green Scotch Brite pad laid flat on a flat piece of thick glass. Now, I'd probably use a piece of marble I have.

Use a straight side to side motion IN LINE with the grain of your finish. Sandpaper comes in all sorts of grits, so one of them is bound to be a near-match with your grain. Mine (stainless Springfield Armory 1911-A1) just happened to be similar to the green Scotch Brite pad. :-)

Of course, make sure to practice on a piece of sacrificial steel before you work on your sidearm.
    “Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.”-- Frederic Bastiat

I carry for self defense, desensitizing, and educating. In that order.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement